Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

explain 2011's to me

So basically I thought 2011's were only made by STI. But... there's the whole Scarab thing:

http://www.predatortactical.com/Handgun_Editions/3_Gun_Nation_Custom_Scarab_p464.html

Looks like an STI frame with other stuff on it. Now that I saw that I'm noticing other brands, seeing things that is definitely not on STI's site, with all kinds of ports and serrations on the slide that look badass. What is going on with them? How do you just build a 2011? I don't get it. Since you can apparently do this, where is the best place to get a cost effective one, meaning cheaper than what STI would sell one for? I'm about ready to sell my other guns and get one but it is ALOT of money.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

STI originally consisted of Virgil Tripp and Sandy Strayer - they jointly held the patent on the 2011. When they split it was then STI and Strayer and Mike Voight and it became SVI. Two companies making essentially the same gun.

One point I left out originally, when they first came out they were sold thru CMC - Chip McCormick - which didn't last too terribly long (I had one of the first ones). They had CMC on the grip, doubt you'll ever see one but it is possible.

Edited by Steve RA

STI sells complete guns themselves, but they also sell bare frames, slides, and all the parts for gunsmiths to build them. The prices that STI sells their factory built guns for is generally the cheapest that you will find a 2011. The gunsmiths spend tons of time doing the custom machining, fitting, polishing, and finishing of all of the parts to make it into a better product than a factory built gun. (most of the time)

STI sells complete guns themselves, but they also sell bare frames, slides, and all the parts for gunsmiths to build them. The prices that STI sells their factory built guns for is generally the cheapest that you will find a 2011. The gunsmiths spend tons of time doing the custom machining, fitting, polishing, and finishing of all of the parts to make it into a better product than a factory built gun. (most of the time)

This is the part I didn't understand. I've never heard of a proprietary manufacturer doing that. Customizing, yes, but a customized glock is still a glock. You still always start out with a fully built entire factory glock as far as I know.

Gun builders order frames and all parts to put a gun together, do the machining that you see which is usually unique to that builder and custom fit ll the parts. Done properly a gun built on an STI frame is waay better than an STI factory gun. On many builds the only thing STI are the frames, grips and slide. All other parts are higher quality aftermarket custom fitted parts.

• 5 months later...