Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays newbie - Bought a Rem 870 EM with a 28in barrel

NicVerAZ

Bought a barely used 870 Express Magnum from a Pawn Shop for $200 OTD (not bad, since they sell it at Bass Pro Shop for $319 + tax.

It is actually this guy (although mine is a Magnum, no idea where to find the exact same model online):

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-reg-870-Express-12-Gauge-w-28-Barrel-Shotgun/product/10217875/

It is a rem-choke model, 4+1 and it included the hunting plug.

Is this a good shotgun to start with to just shoot skeet at the local range?

What shells can I buy for this purpose, as well as self defense (I know, this is not the best shotgun for self defense, but it's better than no gun)?

Also what accessories and upgrades should I think about getting?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by NicVerAZ

Hello: I am no expert but the pump shotgun will not be the best for skeet. The doubles on 1,2,6 and 7 will have to be shot quick. There are a couple of guys here that use them and do well. They practice for dove season. It does work well for trap. You will want a skeet choke for skeet and a modified for trap. Shells use 1 1/8oz #8 shot for both games. #9 shot may be better for skeet and #71/2 shot for trap. Shell holder pouch. Next just have fun. Thanks, Eric

I would agree that a pump is far from ideal, but add that I shot my first straight on a skeet field with a Mossberg 835. Can it be done? ABSOLUTELY! Will make you much better on a dove field or in a duck blind, etc. Plus, you can do a lot more with a pump gun than you can a pretty O/U and not worry about tossing it in the back of a truck.

My intention (at least not as of now) is not to be a succesful skeet shooter but rather improve my skills and later on take them to the 3-gun matches.

A 28 inch barrel is not proper for 3-gun and is not the best self-defense option either, therefore another 870 will probably dedicated to that use.

Hunting is also a further option.

Are there any internal improvements?

What shell pouch do you guys recommend?

Thanks again

Edited by NicVerAZ

Hello: As for a shell pouch get a cheap one for any of the large sporting stores. Prices range from $8- $150. You can buy other barrels for the 870 but they may cost as much as you paid for the shotgun. 28" barrel works great for most types of shooting even 3-gun. For chokes get a skeet, light modified and a modified. Sean at Power Factor Shooting has Briley chokes at great prices if you use the "shotgun" code. I would also suggest you pattern your gun to see where it shoots for you. Knowing where your gun shoots is half the battle. I am still trying to figure that one out in skeet. I have it figured out for trap. Thanks, Eric

Shell pouch: http://mpcsports.com/dividedpouchwbelt419t.aspx

Spending more than that will only get you fancy materials, not additional utility.

A pump gun is just fine for skeet and, once you get used to it, is no handicap at all for doubles. Wayne Mayes, one of the greatest Skeet shooters of all time, started his career with a Winchester 1200 pump. That gun is now in the NSSA hall of fame because he shot so many 100-straights with it.

FWIW, all recent 870s are "Magnums." The only difference is the location of the ejector. The magnum ejector is in a different place so that the 3" shells won't get kicked out too early. BUT! You have to pay attention to the barrel. It has to have a 3" chamber to be able to shoot them (a 3" gun is good for 2-3/4" as well).

There are Super Magnums as well. They're chambered for 3.5" shells. That's a different gun.

For shells, get the lightest most powder puff shells you can get your hands on. No reason to break your shoulder and develop a flinch for close range Skeet targets. 2-3/4" 2-3/4" dram/1200 FPS 1 oz (or 1-1/8 oz. if you can't get 1 oz). 7.5, 8, 8.5, or 9 shot.

Shell pouch: http://mpcsports.com/dividedpouchwbelt419t.aspx

Spending more than that will only get you fancy materials, not additional utility.

A pump gun is just fine for skeet and, once you get used to it, is no handicap at all for doubles. Wayne Mayes, one of the greatest Skeet shooters of all time, started his career with a Winchester 1200 pump. That gun is now in the NSSA hall of fame because he shot so many 100-straights with it.

FWIW, all recent 870s are "Magnums." The only difference is the location of the ejector. The magnum ejector is in a different place so that the 3" shells won't get kicked out too early. BUT! You have to pay attention to the barrel. It has to have a 3" chamber to be able to shoot them (a 3" gun is good for 2-3/4" as well).

There are Super Magnums as well. They're chambered for 3.5" shells. That's a different gun.

For shells, get the lightest most powder puff shells you can get your hands on. No reason to break your shoulder and develop a flinch for close range Skeet targets. 2-3/4" 2-3/4" dram/1200 FPS 1 oz (or 1-1/8 oz. if you can't get 1 oz). 7.5, 8, 8.5, or 9 shot.

This is excellent advice. 1 ounce loads are perfect for most shotgun sports. I shoot a bunch of 3/4 and 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads and do just as well as I do with full loads.

I have little trouble hitting 95% of skeet targets with my 870. Doubles are actually easier for me because you don't have much time to think about it and ride he bird too long.

You will do very well with your shotgun. Get an inexpensive shell pouch, a case of shells and some good instruction. Most clubs have excellent instruction at low or no cost for new shooters. Money spent of coaching is well worth it.

-John

I agree with many here. The gun will serve you fine as would 1 oz loads. You'll only be challenged beyond that of an auto on 4 targets. A lot of skeet is where you stage your gun and eyes before you call for the bird. You want to position your barrel toward where you think you won't get behind the bird as it comes out of the house (this will come with experience). Then, you want to look away from the rib (another tricky part), and look for the bird out of the house. By the time the bird and your eyes get to the rib, your gun should be moving.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I have shot a couple times and on my last outing I hit all the birds at the mild trap, except for a double.

I watched some videos and learned a few good things in between, essentially: do not stare at the front sight and watch the bird instead.

I am ready to move to the next step, I suppose the "spicy" trap and then skeet.

The gun trails fine but I see the advantages of an O/U over a pump gun.

• 1 year later...

I suspect most people recommend what they have and what they use, so it is with shotguns. I have several shotguns including Remington 1100's, and 870's, but I'm not going to recommend any pump shotgun for Skeet or Sporting Clays, to do so is foolhardy. In the past I've shot both of these games and from my own experience an Over/Under Shotgun in 12 gauge is the best choice. If you want something with lighter recoil, buy Feather Lite shot shells, or reload your own and load them down. You get money wrapped up in these shotgun sports fairly quickly, but it's a mistake to start out with a cheap 870 Express shotgun unless you just plain don't care what kind of results you get, or you don't expect to shoot often. Sometimes it is best to stop and think before you act. "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” You will forget about paying a premium price for a shotgun quickly, if it serves you well, but you will regret buying something cheap when you realize it will never work well.