Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Build Major or Minor

ss+P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just cuz all the sheep are doing one thing do not follow. In 5 years most SS shooters will be shooting minor. Just my .0005 cents and fyi I have been known to be wrong here and there...

We're not talking about sheep. The folks who are the GM/M level of USPSA Single Stack have some seriously powerful kung-fu.

If you're going to make the case that they're wrong, whats is your evidence? What do you know that guys like Rob, Dave, Nils, Shannon, Max, Corey and all of the others who I don't have to use last names with because they're so good got wrong?

If they haven't gotten anything wrong, what's going to change that is going to make them all have a minor power factor epiphany?

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of success running two guns and choosing major or minor based on where I go to shoot. Some clubs tend to have a lot of open and limited shooters and at those I tend to go with more ammo in the gun and shoot minor. On occassion I come to a club that has lots of SS and Revo guys and I haul out the major gun. I also look at the setups and decide (can I shoot mostly A's on these?) If the answer is yes I go minor and keep the *thumb rest [generic]* floored all day and usually do very well. Lot's of fall down steel activators also tend to put me in a major mood so I can drive them down faster.

Summary: If you can run two guns or have two slides you can setup for one lower and you have the experience to look over the stages and choose what to run from a strategic point of view you will have a very helpful advantage.

Or you could do what I did last year...say the heck with it, call in many many brass favors from your pals and run 10mm 8) BOOM PEPPER POPPER GOES DOWN!!!

Good luck enjoy SS

I love my 9mm 1911 like it's my adopted baby, but I wish it scored Major. Oh, well. Gotta get better at shooting.

For those that say Major is there all the time, so is the expense and pain of shooting Major. Minor is cheaper and more pleasant. At the current state of my shooting, I'd be better off saving money on ammo costs and putting that towards more matches, practice, and possibly a class or two than buying better points with Major gun and ammo.

• 11 months later...

I've been thinking about this topic for a while now, and I think I'll give minor a try after seeing TGO win SS at Area 2 shooting minor. One of the great things about a 40 SS gun is the ability to shoot both major and minor by simply switching ammo.