Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun

So, here's my dilemma (and sorry for the newbie questions).

I typically shoot "open", which means a red-dot on both my shotgun and pistol.

I can easily put a light/laser combo on a piece of rail on the shotgun; don't need to change a thing.

But the pistol is more interesting. The options are to

-- figure out how to add a rail to an existing C-more mount

-- pull the C-more off, and put light/laser on the mount (but have no red-dot)

-- ditch the open gun and put a light/laser on an XD or something...

I guess the question is..... for the night stuff, will I have any actual "need" for a red-dot as an aiming device or, assuming it is zero'd appropriately, is the laser the only thing I'll care about?

B

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot the match a few years in a row and just zip tied a surefire flashlight to the side of my 90 deg mount on my open pistol. I like the dot on the gun instead of a laser and the flashlight illuminates the targets. I never did use a laser in either match and didn't have a problem hitting targets. Nice thing about the Crimson Trace match, you can have several different set ups, Glock, STI, XD what ever, and can use them on different stages to try each out.

Doug

If they have that damn tripple plate rack back for pistol, I sure would want to have an actual open gun...just don't own one. I think going as close to what you are used to, adding plenty of white light to get out to the targets has some merit, which is basically what Doug just said he did.

But running with the laser on the rifle or pistol on open targets using offset sighting is something you should do on at least one stage...it is just fun and not something you can do in daylight matches. :)

So, here's my dilemma (and sorry for the newbie questions).

I typically shoot "open", which means a red-dot on both my shotgun and pistol.

I can easily put a light/laser combo on a piece of rail on the shotgun; don't need to change a thing.

But the pistol is more interesting. The options are to

-- figure out how to add a rail to an existing C-more mount

-- pull the C-more off, and put light/laser on the mount (but have no red-dot)

-- ditch the open gun and put a light/laser on an XD or something...

I guess the question is..... for the night stuff, will I have any actual "need" for a red-dot as an aiming device or, assuming it is zero'd appropriately, is the laser the only thing I'll care about?

B

If you're used to a red dot it will be faster than a laser I'm guessing. My personal experience says a laser is faster out to about 20 yards then the red dot takes over. The laser can be shot from the hip or running whereas you have to get into the scope to see the for which limits your body movement. At distance the lasers are bouncy and can be hard to even keep on a target where's the red dot is stable and fast.

One of the best solutions is to drill and tap a few holes and put a picatinny rail section under your dust cover then attach a laser/light to it. Of course then finding a holster becomes the next issue.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

First year I shot my Open SJC Glock with a flashlight on the rail. It worked well. Last year I just shot a 34 with Lasergrips and a white light. My experience at distance is different than Jesse's. I found the laser very easy and fast on the 50yd pistol targets last year.

And don't worry Mark. No 18 pack rack. But the FLIR plates are making a return.

yeah, at some point the challenge becomes finding a holster. I can easily bolt a section of rail to the dust cover of my open gun, but I don't know of a holster it would fit in. Not sure where to find a holster for a Glock with a flashlight under the rail, either...

yeah, at some point the challenge becomes finding a holster. I can easily bolt a section of rail to the dust cover of my open gun, but I don't know of a holster it would fit in. Not sure where to find a holster for a Glock with a flashlight under the rail, either...

For the Glock it's easy. Safariland 6378 or BladeTech.

Anyone know of a holster that will work with a G35/Crimson Trace light-laser combo?

Also, are holsters required or can the pistol be staged?

Thanks

My Comp-Tac designed for a G34/G35 & Streamlight TLR-1 works with the Railmaster Pro that we were sent. It actually draws smoother with the CT combo than the TLR-1 due to the sharp edges on the Streamlight's 'coin' screw head dragging on the Kydex.

Blade-Tech should have holsters available now for the Railmaster Pro. The other option is the Safariland 6378. It fits a RM Pro but it's a bit tight. If you heat it a bit with a heat gun or oven and slide the gun in it fits perfect.

There will be locations to stage the handgun. We try to make them in good spots so there isn't a disadvantage but it does take away some options.

I have a call into Blade Tech now. They are checking to see if they can/will be able to produce a holster for the RailMaster Pro / G34/35 combo in the near future. I’m expecting a call back on Monday. I’ll update when i can. Back up plan is the Safariland.

It's at least a 100 yard range. Might even be longer than that, can't remember. There are target stands at different yardages and steel targets on the hill out to 450. It is located between stages 2 and 3. COSSA is giving us free access to the range and it will not be considered part of the match so there won't be an RO stationed there. Just be safe. COSSA/BLM range rules still prohibit smoking outside your vehicle and that will get you kicked off the range, which means no match.