Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson rear sight issues, anyone else

mpk1996

I have a dawson adjustable rear sight on my glock 35 (and matching fiber optic front) and am having problems with the rear sight rusting. I take care of my stuff and clean it after every session to the range, including wiping it with a silicone cloth when I am done with the regular cleaning. then it goes in my safe with a dehumidifier. after a few days it will have a light coat of rust on it. it will get a light coat of rust if left alone for a day of shooting. I spoke with the guys at dawson's, and they say its a blued part and normal to get rust, but this seems excessive. I have other blued guns in the safe that have sat for years with out the TLC this part has gotten with no issues. The sight is about a month old, so its not an old part. I am no bluing expert, but is it possible to get a "light" coat of bluing and then causing more rusting issues?

dawson make some great parts and this sight is awesome as far as the sight itself goes, but having to that this much time with it is a little excessive. not sure why with all the great coatings out there they would blue their stuff, but it is what it is. any one else having issues like this? or have any ideas?

wow, it seems we all are having the same problems. guess we all need to write dawson and tell them to put a better coating on the sights. thanks for all the replys, i thought mine might have had a light blueing or something.

Never had an issue with the fronts. I suspect the competitive shooters in hot climates are probably seeing more of the rear rusting issue. Repeated contact with sweaty hands are responsible. The Dawson rears are good sights, they just rust. The Warren sights are made of a much harder metal, not sure if it is the coating or the metal they are made of that keeps them from rusting.

I have had some people that have had this problem. The reason, rear sight get touched every time you charge, clear or rack the slide. The front sight rarely gets touched. Adjustable sights have more nooks and crannies that sweat (salt water) can seep into. I'm a sweaty guy my self so I feel your pain. Hoppe's #9 on a soft toothbrush will help a lot. I am working to improve the rust resistance. I just have to figure out how to keep you guys from sweating (kidding). mpk1996 send me your rear sight I will refinish it myself and make sure it is right. We sell a lot of sights, we are human and can make mistakes, but we got your back.

Dave Dawson

Edited by dawsonprecision

I have had some people that have had this problem. The reason, rear sight get touched every time you charge, clear or rack the slide. The front sight rarely gets touched. Adjustable sights have more nooks and crannies that sweat (salt water) can seep into. I'm a sweaty guy my self so I feel your pain. Hoppe's #9 on a soft toothbrush will help a lot. I am working to improve the rust resistance. I just have to figure out how to keep you guys from sweating (kidding). mpk1996 send me your rear sight I will refinish it myself and make sure it is right. We sell a lot of sights, we are human and can make mistakes, but we got your back.

Dave Dawson

Dave,

thanks and i really appreciate your response. Yes, i sweat a fair amount, kinda hard not to here in FL (being from tx, i am sure you can relate.) I will see if I get a break in my sched to get the sight off and send it to you. its the only one I have, and my main/only comp gun. i have a few matches over the next month and cant have the gun down for that long, but I will take you up on your offer. thanks again for the awesome customer support.

Mike

People's hands produce more salt then others. I know people who can look at a gun, and watch it rust. lol. I am not a big fan on the oiling of the rear sight, because I want it as dark as possible with no oil reflection, or collection of dust. maybe I am just anal, when it comes to my sights. I typically just take a toothbrush and brush any and all rust off

Spray the rear sight with EZZOX. This spray penetrated the metals microscopic pores. I spray my guns & mags (disassemble the mags) with it about every six months & let it sit for about an 1/2 hour and wipe clean, never any rust on anything, including the Bomar style sights.