Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching Production guns and need to work up a new load

Nimitz

So I'm moving to a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow from a G34 and I need to tweak my current load. I plan to stay with WST and Xtreme 124 plated RN. Looking for what OAL Shadows like as well as typical powder charges folks are using to get me in the ball park ...

I think your CZ load will need to be considerably shorter than your Glock load unless you are running a very short Glock load. My Glock was good out to 1.15 but I settled 1.13 for accuracy and SD. I seem to recall CZ's being short chambered. Something like 1.10 or less on oal?

When I was shooting lead I needed to load to 1.08 but since I switched to Xtremes I've been using 1.15. I know I'll have to do the barrel test, just hoping to avoid too many test rds. Sounds like I'll start with my current ammo. It would be pretty sweet not to have to adjust any of my diesel...

Careful, 124 gr. MGs and 125 gr. Bearcreek RN bullets ended up with different max lengths in my SP01 Shadow. It was because of the shape of the nose. When I first got mine I shot some rounds that were for my M&P Pro. They fit but chronographed funny. FPS was erratic. Shortened them .020" and FPS went down but more consistent. No spikes. I ended up doing the bullet drop test for every one I shoot.

CZ Shadow Custom Target

Bullet: Precision Bullets 125 gr FP

Primer: Tula Small Pistol

Powder: 4.2 gr

OAL: 1.085"

PF: 127

Your load for a plated bullet should be similar to Precision Moly 125. I think starting at 4.4 of WST and working up is too much.

that's what I was thinking as well, 1.085 is significantly shorter than my current 1.15 OAL load. I'll barrel drop test my current load first since changing powder is more desirable than fiddling with the dies if I don't have to ...

Its a moly coated bullet

What type of bullet is a Bear Creek?

Its a moly coated bullet like Black Bullets International. I get better accuracy with them over Berry plated bullets in my glock. I have a friend name Ken taking the Ben Stoeger FL class too.