Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just received my 650!

It just arrived yesterday and I plan to unbox and set it up this weekend. I will be loading .40 on it and already have a 550 that I am comfortable with but plan to switch that over to .223/556.

Since this is my first experience with a 650, are there any tips or recommendations you could pass along? I bought the DVD from Dillon and had no issues setting up the 550 but figured those of you with more time on the 650 could share a little wisdom. Anything specific to watch out for?

Thanks in advance-

J

In the tips thread, the one that helped me initially was trimming the detent ball spring to lesson the "snap" as the shellplate advanced and popped powder out of the case. Sure made a mess until I got that mod in place. That and a good light for the work area.

Go to the "650 tips and tricks" thread. Pretty much anything that has been done or can be done to a 650 is listed there

Where is this thread at? I don't see it stickied in this sub-forum.

The 5 upgrades I did:

1. Clipped shell plate detent spring

2. Live primer ski-jump from Ebay

3. Spent primer "tube" made from a .44 SPL shell and some PVC hose routed to a dump box.

4. Roller bearing on the shell shuttle actuating pin.

5. Micrometer on the powder measure.

Skip the roller bearing on top of the shell plate. It created shell ejection issues for me, and I didn't feel like bending up a modified shell plate ejection spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 650 for about a year or so now. I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!! Its tough as nails. Just taking my time it loads 223 damn near as fast as I can shoot it. I can honestly say I have had ZERO PROBLEMS with my press. My pet load for my AR-15 is shoots as good comming from my 650 as it did comming from my single stage Forster Coax. I did have to call Customer service to help me with the set up. They haven't heard from me since because its never broken or given me a single hickup. You are going to love this press.

• 3 months later...

Welcome to a great machine! You'll love it. My recommendation is to just set it up and reload with it. It's great right out of the box. Get used to it and what it will do. I loaded with mine for 15 years before I made the first mod to it, then only because I was a bit bored and started tinkering. Some think they have to buy every known mod out there and install it to get the press to work right. That's not even close to being true. We reloaders are tinkerers at heart. Just can't leave a good thing alone. ENJOY!

Go to the "650 tips and tricks" thread. Pretty much anything that has been done or can be done to a 650 is listed there

Where is this thread at? I don't see it stickied in this sub-forum.

The 5 upgrades I did:

1. Clipped shell plate detent spring

2. Live primer ski-jump from Ebay

3. Spent primer "tube" made from a .44 SPL shell and some PVC hose routed to a dump box.

4. Roller bearing on the shell shuttle actuating pin.

5. Micrometer on the powder measure.

Skip the roller bearing on top of the shell plate. It created shell ejection issues for me, and I didn't feel like bending up a modified shell plate ejection spring.

Can someone spot me a .44 SPL brass? I bought the ebay kit, but I cannot get the small screws on the bottom of the spent primer cup bracket back in to save my life.