Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to competition shooting!

davidd325

I am wanting to get started shooting competitively, but honestly am not sure where to start. I have been shooting my whole life and love competing in anything so it seems like a natural fit. I am ready to purchase some equipment but would like to have a better understanding of where i should start and with what caliber. I'm sure like everything else, most people have their favorite brand of gun, and wouldn't shoot any caliber other than what they shoot. But i really would just like to know the basics of what I need to start and to be effective.

David,

I started in USPSA last year and transitioned to 3 gun at the end of the season. I would recommend showing up to a match with the gear you have and would have fun shooting. You need to have a holster that safely retains your pistol and 3-5 magazines ideally with some mag holders. I have seen new guys load out of their pockets. When you get to the match identify yourself as a new shooter and let the fun begin. You will get tons of good advice on safety and I have never met a shooter that isn't happy to tell you why they use a specific setup or piece of gear. After a match or two you will start to formulate a sense of what you need, what class you want to be in, etc. I say start because your shooting will evolve over time. For USPSA I shoot production which means an essentially unaltered factory pistol (I shoot a Glock 17) and a limit of 10 rounds per magazine. I run a blade tech holster and 4 CR Speed single mag pouches on a CR Speed belt. This is by no means the only way to go but it is a flexible option. Flexibility and options are key if you think you will transition to 3 gun at some point.

Hope this helps and feel free to message me at Hawkeye Ordnance on Facebook if there is anything else I can do to help you get started.

Mark

I agree with the above poster about showing up to a match with what you have, having fun, and getting a feel for things. You can figure out as you go along what you will need. What do you have now in terms of guns, holsters, and mags so we can maybe point you in the right direction as far as what class to shoot in. Also, are there matches close to you an do you have a variety (USPSA, IDPA) etc.

You might be ahead to start a conversation with local shooters. All of the new folks I brought into the game learned about 10% from emails, PM, etc

It pays to see what other shooters are using first hand. Also try to single out those at the local clubs who seem to know what they are doing. They may not know everything but they have probably used a lot of different equipment over the years

BE CAREFUL !!

When your ready to buy a shotgun be careful and do your research.

Some of the damnnnn things work and some don't even same brand and models.

Two "biggies" with shotguns is capacities and re-loading, gotta have both.

Also careful who you listen to! some will do - say anything to get sponsors and free stuff, do/tell anything to help their cause. Back side romancers will not help your cause.

Hillbilly Opinions,

Perry

I agree with everything above. Use what you have. I shoot an m&p 9mm for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP. Sometimes I run a 1911 in single stack or CDP. If you cannot find m&p mags, shoot the Para. Then when you find mags, shoot the m&p and see which you like better for the competition.

My bare minimum for either USPSA or IDPA

Pistol - which you have

Mags - 3 if IDPA, 6 if USPSA

Holster

Mag Pouches - 2 IDPA, 5 USPSA

Ammo - Double what is on stage descriptions

Eye and Ear Protection

Belt - I shot a 1.5" leather gun belt for both comps for a while. Anything that holds your holster and mag pouches will work for your first few times.

A bag to get your gear from stage to stage

Hand Towel

Water and Sun Screen

Welcome to the sport! I wish you a wonderful first experience.

All of the above is great info. The only thing I would add is make sure you know the safety rules for where you are going. Make sure you understand what a cold range is and where the safe areas are if they have them. Go slow and safe for your first match and you will get lots of help. While actually up shooting remember the 180 degree rule.

I also see a lot of new guys who don't understand that once your pistol hits your holster you don't touch it until make ready on the next stage. They will show up on the next stage with the slide back or be monkeying with things behind the line. Scary sometimes. Anyway best way to figure things out is to go to a match and shoot. I have found people to help out a lot especially when you are new. And don't just shoot but paste and reset things you will learn from that too.

Good luck!! Have fun and beware the addiction that follows shooting a few matches :D

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend showing up to a match with the gear you have . When you get to the match identify yourself as a new shooter .

+1. Perfect. :cheers:

Pick a club and show up to help set up matches. Befriend some folks and borrow their gear. Find what you like and what fits your budget. Repay your new friends with food, beer, and bullet gift certificates.

Edited by Red Ryder

Just go really really fast the accuracy will come. JK JK take your time get your hits and dont get caught up in the equipment race that so many do. Run what you have and have!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just started recently myself. My first match was steel and I think that was great. No reloading on the clock, no stage planning, just bang clang.

I have since gotten into uspsa and love that too, but I personally recommend steel as a starting point.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I learned when I started shooting is that occasionally a popper won't go down even if you nailed it. I was shooting 9mm but the rounds weren't under powered. You should be able to ask for a "calibration" if you hit the target and the popper didn't go down. I didn't learn this until after the second time it happened to me.

This was IDPA just outside Austin, Texas in 2011 so check with your range officer before shooting as this may not still be the case.

Also, you came to the right website. I've gotten nothing but great advice from these guys since I started.

Cheers,

-JD

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with everything above. Use what you have. I shoot an m&p 9mm for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP. Sometimes I run a 1911 in single stack or CDP. If you cannot find m&p mags, shoot the Para. Then when you find mags, shoot the m&p and see which you like better for the competition.

My bare minimum for either USPSA or IDPA

Pistol - which you have

Mags - 3 if IDPA, 6 if USPSA

Holster

Mag Pouches - 2 IDPA, 5 USPSA

Ammo - Double what is on stage descriptions

Eye and Ear Protection

Belt - I shot a 1.5" leather gun belt for both comps for a while. Anything that holds your holster and mag pouches will work for your first few times.

A bag to get your gear from stage to stage

Hand Towel

Water and Sun Screen

Welcome to the sport! I wish you a wonderful first experience.

Newbie here too. Should I use my belt I wear inside my belt loops or do you guys recommend using an additional belt for your gear and gun? I am stuck on whether I should buy a belt and mag holders (CR or something) or buy some cheap uncle mikes and use my regular pants belt.

When I first started I did two things on YouTube. One, watch the PowerFactorShow from episode 1...you'll get a lot of great information about skills and gear. Two, do a search with the name of your local club and "USPSA" or "IDPA" depending on what sport you'll choose...you'll probably find people who have video-ed themselves shooting stages at your very own club.

Limited-10 in USPSA is a great way to start if you choose 40S&W or 45acp. Production is great if you're starting in 9mm. You'll need a lot of magazines (5-6).

You won't really discover what you want or need until you just plain START!

Use what you have.

Should I use my belt I wear inside my belt loops or do you guys recommend using an additional ?

Matt, use what you have. Just jump in and have fun with what you have - don't buy anything you don't need.

Shoot a match or two, talk to some of the guys, watch them and their gear - see what you want to buy -

buy it at your pace. Don't rush into changing anything too quickly. Just Be Safe and have fun!!! :cheers: