Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mag issue

Iceman2733

Hello everyone. I am new to the 2011 world and recently ran into a weird issue. Well I took a chance and picked up a few mags second hand which prolly wasn't the best idea. Anyways one of the mags the follower will came out of the mag if pressed down on the front of the follower. I thought it was an issue with the factory STI follower so I purchased a Gram follower and spring and it doesn't come out as much but still the same. I have used a caliper and according to it the mag with the issues is smaller then the 3 brand new I had purchased. Is there any way to correct this issue as it is unusable because the follower will come up and hit the slide. Can anyone give me an advice and help really messed me up today at a match. I had a guy there tighten up the feed lips at the match but didn't help either.

THANKS anyone who can help me I hope I didn't waste money buying this mag second hand

There is a tuning thread posted at the top of this forum. what the measurements should be are in the thread. Start there. The tubes don't tend to wear out they just move some. I have been able to "tune" mine with no special tools except some soft jaws for my vice.

Thanks guys I did check out that thread and the mag was in spec of what they have in there somewhat. It was actually only .385-.387 on the feed lips front to rear. I opened them up to .400 and it made the follower wanting to come out worse. The only measurement I have been able to find is the feel lip opening dimensions. I would think more would be tuned on these mags when people mess with them.

I had seen dawson's kit and read quite a bit by it but hate to spend that kind of money when my other 3 - 140mm with Gram guts feed perfectly with close to 400+ rounds thru them. *knock on wood*.... lol Is there any thing else you guys would look at.

yes the followers and springs were brand new I tried 3 different gram followers and 2 different factory followers all will rise above the feed lips on this one mag.

THANK YOU again everyone

Are these .40 mags? Are these .40 followers?

Yes .40 140mm STI tubes and base pads for now. And grams followers and 11 coil springs for .40.

It does the same thing stated above with stock STI followers and springs also. I think something is out of spec just not sure where to look for it

Sent From Mobile Land

Edited by Iceman2733

Ok sorry to keep bumping this. I have messed with this mag and taken it someone locally that has messed with mags before and we can not figure out what would be causing this issue. Can you guys recommend someone that works on mags? I don't care to ship it just wanting someone that has a better idea of what they are doing take a look at this mag for me and hopefully kind of fast got a match coming up the 6th of next month.

I was going to purchase the Dawson tune kit but hate to spend that much money to fix one mag and with the other 3 feeding great I don't wanna mess with them. Figure maybe sending this one out would be the easiest way if someone knows someone that could look it by itself. I contacted a few places and they wanted to do big tune jobs I am not really looking for that.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Iceman2733

I got a bad mag from sti directly a month ago.

Dimensions all messed up, wouldn't drop free at all. I had to do the old vice/caliper dance.

Really easy, a 60$ vice from sears, and some digital calipers. Used a good mag as a model and also just wing it with feeling the fit in my sti grip.

But I will say this - some mags are so far gone they're a lost cause.

Edited by Forgetful

• 2 weeks later...

I had that problem but with a couple of SV mags. Also tried various followers with no resolution. I could not measure a variation from "good" mags and with no specs listed other than feed lip width and mag outside dimensions I had to rely on visual inspection. From what I could see, the contour of the rounded area forward of the lips looked very slightly different when compared to the good mags.

I re-contouring that round area with a brass hammer and the followers no longer pop out. Apparently the length of the feed end opening was too long and allowing the follower to escape.

Strip a good mag and a mis-behaving mag and compare the two in good light. Compare the curve of the area near where the slide stop shelf rides...

i bought SV mags before that was almost completely crooked , squeezed the body until i got them squared and re formed the feedlips now they are my most reliable mags that get me 21 rounds of 40sw...dont give up hope yet

.380 rear to .385 max front feed lip width, narrower at rear of mag with slight flair toward front. Once I switched to 2011's I figured I better know how to keep them running. $100 for a tuning kit and some knowledge gained goes a long way.