Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Level I handgun match...with a rifle?

photog

I've looked and can't find a reference in the rule book.

Can I design a stage at a Level I USPSA handgun match that requires the use of a rifle/carbine to engage targets?

Or would it be better to "allow" the use of the rifle for the distant targets?

It would be a single rifle that ALL competitors would have to use. I envision giving each a mag with 10 rounds of factory ammo.

Example:

Starting in Box A, retrieve the M1 Carbine on the table, load it and engage the 2 steel plates located 50yds downrange. Dump the unloaded rifle in the safety container, and engage the remaining targets as the become available.

OR make the Carbine optional, and allow the handgun use on the plates at 50yds at the shooters discretion.

I'm really looking for a rule based opinion, is this OK? Does it violate a USPSA rule?

Not allowed and stage guns are a bad idea anyway as your expecting a shooter to safely operate a gun they may or may not be familiar operating and shoot that gun for score. Also expect to have that gun abused by the shooters using it. Personally I would ground that gun the fastest way possible and that's gonna be pretty darn rough

Edited by EkuJustice

I believe 3 Gun Nation (yes, I know, not USPSA rules) used a stage gun at a number of matches. The competitor used the stage gun, then hit the Start button that started the official stage timer. You could do something to the same effect with a self start timer, then if the stage gun malfunctions, the shooter is unfamiliar with it, etc... it doesn't completely upset the 'legal' portion of the stage.

YES, you can if you want to run it as a MG match.

I just ran a MG match and set up the stages so paper was rifle or pistol, steel was shotgun or pistol. We had 4 USPSA pistol shooters come shoot the match. A few shot just pistol and shotgun and a few shot pistol and rifle only.

MG 10.2.8 Competitors may be required to use a prop gun supplied by the Match Director on a stage to start the course of fire; it may not be required to engage more than three (3) targets before abandoning it. The prop gun and all related ammunition and equipment will be provided by the host match officials and be the same for all competitors.

Any malfunction necessitates a reshoot.

3Gun Nation only has run Pro matches and the stage guns were not for score.

Edited by MarkCO

Thats what I read too, but wasn't sure if it was "allowed" as some things are at a level 1 match.

Rule 4.6.1.1 does not allow the use of stage guns in handgun matches. This rule removed all officer down and other type stages.

Jay