Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

humidity and powder weight

bellyrubber

i live in mesa,az. like they say it's a dry heat. humidity rarely in the double digits.

i've been loading the same powder charge for the last 6 mo. a storm front has brought rain in for the last 2 days and will stick around another day or two. could the high humidity increase the weight of the powder being thrown? i have been throwing 4.0gr bullseye with a lee pro auto disk like i said for the last 6 mo. today i tried and tried and it kept throwing 4.2gr. i haven't touched a thing. could the humidity be the culprit? any thoughts are welcome.

I'm on the other side of town and often take advantage of these cooler rainy nights to load during the summer months. Using a Dillon measure, I haven't seen a noticeable difference. Whether its 100 degrees and sunny or, like tonight, rainy and 79, I get the same +/- .1 variances with ball and flake powders.

I can't answer that, but if I don't use my press for a week, the powder will settle and my charges will weigh about a 1/10th of a grain more for the first 5-10 cartridges that go through it.

Pretty sure that's normal. I get that with both my presses no matter which powder I use or the temp.

hi guys, thanks for the input. i've gotten in the habit of emptying the pro auto disk after each session. so the powder was right from the jug. your right it takes 10 rds. or so for it to throw a consistent charge. but it never got consistent at all the other day. i'm baffled. i'll wait for the storms to pass and let things get back to normal.then give it a shot and see what happens. thx.

well it kept throwing .2gr heavy. so i took the disk and put a very small strip of masking tape on the side of the cavity to take up some space. it worked. now it's throwing 4.0 everytime. if it acts up again i'll figure something else out. thx guys.

• 3 weeks later...

here's an update on my original question and masking tape solution. i never was completely satisfied with that temporary solution. i changed powder weight from 4.0 to 4.1 for some test loads. it started acting up again. it gave me a hard time again throwing heavy.

the wife says i never throw anything away and she's right. well,i got thinking and came up with a piece of black foam. the lee pro auto disk you turn counter clockwise to to open. so i opened it all the way. then turned it clockwise until the disk cavity was putting out what i wanted. then inserted the foam between the round red powder container and the black plastic mount to hold it in place.

the wife also says i think things to death. that may be but eventually i come up with a solution. well, that's my homemade fix-it to my heavy charge problem. nothing scientific but it works. br.