Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best cone comp for 9 Major with no holes?

kneelingatlas

So I'm looking at the Brazos ThunderComp II, but it's pretty long and I think it's steel so I image it makes a full sized pistol steer like a battleship.

This is to replace the V12 barrel (12 holes with a 2 port comp) on my Tanfoglio (I'm aware its designed to a 2011, this is a custom project). I've seen the FGW comp which looks short/light, but I've heard it doesn't work well without holes?

It may just be a fact of life that you either need a big long comp or barrel ports to get a flat shooting gun, but I'm just hoping to hear about a magical short/flat gun with no holes.

Dawson's awesome comp (DP-2 cone comp) works very well with 9mm major without barrel holes and that or the A-Zone comp would be my comp of choice for a 1911 pattern gun with or without barrel holes and am currently using an A-zone with a three port scheumann barrel and it works well.

However, since this is a for a tanfo I would suggest you talk to Rich at Canyon Creek. He makes a nice 4 chamber comp for tanfos and he offers them in steel and Titanium. I have one of his steel ones on a .38 super tanfo (no barrel holes) and have shot both .38 super major and 9mm major out of it. It shoots very well with the 124 grain bullets and gassy powder. As you know, I now have a brand spanking new 9mm 6" barrel and am leaning towards sending it to Canyon Creek to have a Ti comp installed and fitted to the slide/gun.

Cheely comp is light. Titanium, but requires bull barrel

Technically, I believe you could use an EGW steel conversion cone on a titanium comp to use with a standard/classic barrel but I believe that would be defeating the purpose. Titanium on a bull barrel would give a good feel if you don't mind a light nose to your pistol.

If it comes to cone comps I prefer the EGW four port CNC comp. But that's because I run steel loads and I don't like overly efficient compensators. It's very much personal preference but EGW has quite the selection of coned comps.

Hope this helps.

Edited by PINMAN44

Don't worry about the thundecomp II being heavy. It weighs 90 grams (google says thats about 3.17 ounces) and isn't very long. There's not much material in it so i guess that's what make it so light.

Here's a size comparison between the thundercomp II, Akai comp, and some old random comps.

928b53ef-433c-4f1a-b52e-4c8cfe0a8a28_zps

:)

The akai comp has a EGW cone attached. The one to the right that i replaced with the thundercomp weighs 50grams more (almost 50% heavier). The thundercomp II feels feather light :)

Cheely comp is light. Titanium, but requires bull barrel

Both my 9mm Major Open guns have Matt's comps.

A large frame Tanfoglio barrel is 15mm (0.590551") in diameter and the cone comps are threaded 0.575x40 so I figure I can make it work.

I see the Cheely comp only has two upward ports, does it need holes in the barrel to shoot flat?

With 9mm Major, you really don't need a bunch of ports or barrel holes like 38 Super. There just isn't the volume of gas produced but with Matt's comp, my guns shoot very flat, even strong/weak handed.

BC

I know it's not a 9 major but my Cheely(38 super)opengun with his new comp shoots really nice and flat. I'm using 3n37 with MG 124's it shoots a little softer with HS6 but the 3n37 shot just a bit smaller groups. I've been really impressed with his new Ticomp

Thanks Jake,

The Thundercomp II and the Akai look unfired, have you had the chance to compare them yet? 9 or 38? Holes?

I'm running one thundercomp in my 9major and on in my 38super but i've mostly fed both fith 9M. The comp is very light compared to my old ones and you realize how much a heavy comp actually reduces recoil. The Thundercomp needs quite a lot of punch to work. I'm loading 9M with 7.8grains vv3n37 just short of 30mm oal giving me about 165pf. I would say that is way soft loads for this comp. 175 should do it but i'm not sure I want to load that hot 9's. I haven't had the chance to try the Akai comp yet since it needs some cutting on the underside to allow for clearance for the guiderod and I haven't gotten to get that cut yet.

I have no holes in any of my guns atm. I am afraid that I would loose too much gas too early to make major with safe presure but maybe I'm just paranoid :)