Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 build?

norbyam22

I might also mention that from what I have seen locally, the number one killer of 1100s is "new gun envy". Several guys started lusting after whatever they started seeing in the 3GN tv shows, then started reading up on how obsolete their old Remington was/is, then next time they had an FTF in a match, BOOM "see, my 1100 IS a piece of crap! I better go buy a Benelli" (or SLP, or Mossberg 930, or... whatever they wanted an excuse to buy anyhow.) Never mind that they quit cleaning their 1100 as soon as they started jonesing for the latest gun-du-jour. A lot of those supposedly "dead" 1100s just needed a cleanup and maybe a gas ring when the new owner brought it in for us to fix whatever the disillusioned former owner told them was the reason for the fire sale. Often nothing more than carbon in the barrel ports. Are there faster guns? YES. Is reload technique more important than cycle speed? YES. Going to a faster cycling gun won't win you matches if you are still fishing shells out of your pockets one at a time because you have not worked on your reloads. OOPS, ranting! :blush:

Tom

I have two Remington 1100s that run 100%. One of the big problems people encounter with the 1100 is running light loads with a barrel from a field model 1100. If you run a target barrel or open the gas ports in the field barrel an 1100 will eat anything you feed it.

I don't buy the wearing them out part. I have a late 60's model that I inherited from my uncle who was on the AF skeet team. The bluing is all worn off and everything in it is loose. God only knows how many thousands of rounds went thru that shotgun. When I got it, I changed the O ring and put a new clip on the interceptor latch and iIt still runs fine. I shot skeet and sporting clays with 1100's for years. At my peak I was putting 2-300 rounds thru my 1100's (12 20 28 and 410) a week. I seriously doubt the avg 3 gunner comes close to that. As long as I kept up with mtc they didn't miss a beat. I agree with the above post , new gun fever has been the death of the 1100. It got me....

Edited by LSnSC

I don't buy the wearing them out part. I agree with the above post , new gun fever has been the death of the 1100. It got me....

Yes, and it almost got me. If it wasn't for the $1000-1500 (FN and Benn.) price tags I would have probably fallen for it.

I love new toys for the safe but could not see what the new & improved have to offer? Less weight? No. Better warranty? No. Made In USA? Mostly No. A distinct advantage? Not really; I see the purchasers of the SLPs/930s/Benn. making similar maintenance changes right out of the box. Price advantage? Certainly not. Weird.

In fairness, the 1100/11-87 platform does need periodic preventative replacement of certain parts that are prone to failure. Everyone knows about the barrel seal o-ring (I always spend the extra to get the Remington part as it seems to hold up very well), but most don't realize the importance of changing out the magazine spring, action spring, forend support and link proactively (see the advice HERE). Usually folks wait until these parts fail, which brings the gun to a screeching halt mid-match and gets the gun a bad reputation. The main reason I upgraded to a Versa Max was the promise of high reliability without the need for this kind of PM part replacement... that and the ability to handle 3-1/2" shells for those dastardly MGM Spinners :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I guess I need to jump in since I've run an 1100 and an 11-87 as my 3-gun shotties for a number of years. I can't say they've been 100%, but they have gotten better as I've learned them a bit better.

I used to really oil them up when I cleaned them, and couldn't understand why I kept getting malfunctions. Then I found out that the piston/mag tube area needed to be dry, or nearly so, for correct functioning. When I quit oiling it like it was an AR I quit having all the malfunctions.

One year my 1100 went nuts. I couldn't keep it running. Then I had the good fortune of shooting a match with one Patrick Kelley. I described my problem to him at the Moon Time cafe and he told me it was probably the feed latch. Sure enough, we went out to my truck and disassembled my 1100 on my tailgate. Took out the feed latch and found that the little tip at the front end of it had broken off. Ordered a new one out of Brownells and it was cured! Runs great now.

Another thing I learned, and this probably applies to all gas operated shotguns, is to stay away from Federal Power Ball slug loads. They may shoot fine for 4 or 5 shots, but they will eventually lead up the gas ports and the semi-auto shotgun will become manually operated! It's: bang, rack the bolt, slap the Easy Loader, bang, repeat! This happened with my 11-87 at Ironman one year on a stage that was heavy to slugs. Before the next stage I took a brass brush to the bore and must have cleaned a half ounce of lead from that barrel! Ran great for the rest of the match!

I still love my 1100's, but, sad to say, I too have succumbed to the siren song of getting something new and (hopefully) better. They are now backup to my SLP!

I also have shot a 1100 for 3 gun competition for many years and learning the gun and proper maintenance is essential. As mentioned above make sure the o ring is good, buy in bulk and replace it before a major match.

The piston/mag tube needs lub but not oil. Go to a farm supply and buy an aerosol can of John Deere spray graphite. Spray this area with the graphite, not too heavy, just enough to cover it. This will last for a year or longer then re-apply if needed. I think this is one of the most important things I have done to make the 1100 more reliable.

Keep the barrel hood/bolt area oiled, I have seen many times when a couple drops of oil in this area would get a jamming gun to cycle properly.

Keep the gas ports clean. Find the proper size drill bit and use it to clean the ports.

I am glad to see a few other 1100 shooters come out of the woodwork, I was feeling like the only one still running an 1100. I have a 1100 CM I bought new years and years ago and then it sat in the safe waiting for me to take up 3-Gun. By then everybody was running the "B" gun and my still brand new 1100 CM was positively "old skool". I would show up at matches and people would think I had been shooting 3-Gun for a long time time! Anyway, I hear all the "an 1100 will not hold up to 3-Gun", too many shots too close together and slugs thrown in the mix and the old 1100 just ain't up to the task. Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Are there better (mo money) guns for the game? Sure. But, I have shot boat loads of skeet with another old pawn shop 1100 that has NEVER had a new part, not even a gas ring and it is going strong. I may never put as many rounds through my 1100 CM as I have my old skeet 1100, and I take care of my 1100 CM.

I also have shot a 1100 for 3 gun competition for many years and learning the gun and proper maintenance is essential. As mentioned above make sure the o ring is good, buy in bulk and replace it before a major match.

The piston/mag tube needs lub but not oil. Go to a farm supply and buy an aerosol can of John Deere spray graphite. Spray this area with the graphite, not too heavy, just enough to cover it. This will last for a year or longer then re-apply if needed. I think this is one of the most important things I have done to make the 1100 more reliable.

Keep the barrel hood/bolt area oiled, I have seen many times when a couple drops of oil in this area would get a jamming gun to cycle properly.

Keep the gas ports clean. Find the proper size drill bit and use it to clean the ports.

That's all good stuff. I haven't used the graphite option, but I think I'll get a can. Wouldn't hurt my SLP either. Actually, I have been oiling the outside of the mag tube, but very lightly. After cleaning, one drop of light oil that is spread over the whole thing. It was a former nationally ranked and sponsored trap shooter who told me about the keeping piston area dry. Stopping the heavy lube in that area has done more to increase reliability than anything else.