Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threading the barrel

minnesota1

I have an Oly arms PCR-1 ultra match. I have their muzzle break that you tighten the screws down into a notch in the barrel and thats your break.

I think I would like to have the barrel threaded since we can do that now and put a different brake on it. Would that be a good idea with this rifle? Any recommendations as to what shop can do this. I live in the Ft. Worth area of TX

but I am new here and do not know anyone in the area to ask-gunshop guys that I've spoken with do not know anyone either.

I will be using it for 3 gun shoots so any recommendations on a better brake would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Bob

If you're planning to change brakes, then getting it threaded is the way to go. It will give you more options, and if you change your mind again, all you'll have to do is break the loc-tite and remove the set screw and switch.

Good brakes (in no particular order):

Miculek

Cooley

J-P (for open)

and don't forget Wakal has a new design he's making available to us.

Bob, send your upper only to Benny Hill in Corpus Christi TX. He will turn & thread your barrel and install his break. Triangle Shooting Sports, 10837 Leopard, Corpus Christi Texas, 78410. 361 241 1091. WWW.triangleshootingsports.com Larry

The difference between my " naked " barrel and my Miculek comped barrel is very noticable.

Travis F.

Travis,

Are you saying that your Miculek comp is really good?

:o Also, Eric--I have never heard of a Wakal comp. Why are they so good and does Brownells or someone else sell them?

Thanks,

bob

:o Also, Eric--I have never heard of a Wakal comp. Why are they so good and does Brownells or someone else sell them?

Thanks,

bob

Wakal is a forum member and is going to be making a run of a new comp design. If I already hadn't committed to buying a comp from my 'smith, I'd be buying one. PM Wakal for more info.

Bob,

If you need a testimonial to the comp Wakal is distributing, I'll give it. It works really well. I have the second one made on my rifle. When I shoot it, it hardly moves. There is a barely perceptible wobble in the dot. Pretty neat, considering my rifle, with both optics, weighs a mere 7.5 lbs. Hitting mini-popper-sized steel at 100 yards twice with .17 splits is not a problem.

If you'd like your barrel threaded and/or a comp installed, contact us and we can get it done.

Liota

I was the compensator the whole time... (for the Invader Zim fans ;) )

Get your barrel threaded 1/2-28; that will get you to where you can thread pretty much anyone's comp on (that is the standard military flash hider specification).

My comp? Glad you asked...here is the F2:

Fredcomp_1.JPG

Fredcomp_2.JPG

Fredcomp_3.JPG

Fredcomp_4.JPG

Cheaper than the JP/Cooley or the Triangle, shoots flatter than those or the Miculek. Come see 'em at the Tiger Valley Three Gun and decide for yourself :)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Minn...

I just got my rifle back from threading and comp'ing. Complete and total waste of money. Actually made every aspect of shot recovery worse than with nothing at all. I'll never do it again. If I had a .308 AR, I'd probably comp it.

Complete and total waste of money.  Actually made every aspect of shot recovery worse than with nothing at all.  I'll never do it again.

Eric,

Just to get this 100% straight, you would prefer your AR-15 to have no comp than a comp? And the comp has actually made it harder for your shot recovery? Did your comp throw your barrel to one side or the other? Do you think that it's not a big deal to comp it because the .223 is such a mild recoiling round? Also, Today was a very bad day of duck hunting for me and I am positive that I was "mocked by passing waterfowl!!"

Thanks,

Bob

minn1,

I actually slept completely through my alarm this morning - and missed duck hunting altogether. :huh:

Here's a new thread I started,, where it clearly appears that I am the ONLY PERSON IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE, who doesn't like a comp on an AR. This probably means I'm wrong, but that just means, like Jeff Cooper, I'll die being wrong. Something pretty dramatic will have to happen for me to think that comping a standard 20" AR amounts to anything more than pissing money away.

A 16" or 18" lightweight barrel is a totally different story and I could be led to believe that a comp would help substantially.

[/Darkness of Wrongness Mode]