Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carriage Returns not being represented correctly

CHA-LEE

I have noticed that in the last month that when I write a long post that has multiple paragraphs separated by carriage returns that when I submit the post the carriage returns are not being input and all of the text gets jammed together in a big wall of text. Some times if I go to edit the post, the carriage returns are there and the text is separated correctly and if I resave the post it will display properly. Is this due to the version of browser I am using (Firefox V23)? I will see if I can recreate the error below with a series of sentences with carriage returns in between each one......

There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below.

There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below.

There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above.

I have noticed that in the last month that when I write a long post that has multiple paragraphs separated by carriage returns that when I submit the post the carriage returns are not being input and all of the text gets jammed together in a big wall of text. Some times if I go to edit the post, the carriage returns are there and the text is separated correctly and if I resave the post it will display properly. Is this due to the version of browser I am using (Firefox V23)? I will see if I can recreate the error below with a series of sentences with carriage returns in between each one...... There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below. There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below. There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above.

Many people sware that they have a hard fore finger focus when aiming at the return key when in fact at the exact microsecond their finger actually contacts the keyboard they either blink or are transitioning too quickly to the next target key in the array.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :roflol: P.S. there should be a CR above this line.

Edited by supporthand

I have noticed that in the last month that when I write a long post that has multiple paragraphs separated by carriage returns that when I submit the post the carriage returns are not being input and all of the text gets jammed together in a big wall of text. Some times if I go to edit the post, the carriage returns are there and the text is separated correctly and if I resave the post it will display properly. Is this due to the version of browser I am using (Firefox V23)? I will see if I can recreate the error below with a series of sentences with carriage returns in between each one...... There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below. There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above and below. There should be a carriage return between this sentence and the one above.

Have you tried a different browser?

The above post failed to input the carriage returns that I input while typing the post, so it confirms the issue.

Here is one paragraph..

Here is another paragraph...

Both typed under Firefox v23.0.1 (Windows version)

Curious if you are using Firefox under Unix or Linux? Unix uses a single LF (line feed) character for a new line, while Windows computers use a LF+CR (line feed and a carriage return) pair for a newline. Possibly this forum software doesn't convert correctly from a Unix/Linux box. Otherwise... Might try the .1 update to Firefox.

The above post failed to input the carriage returns that I input while typing the post, so it confirms the issue.

Here is one paragraph..

Here is another paragraph...

Both typed under Firefox v23.0.1 (Windows version)

Curious if you are using Firefox under Unix or Linux? Unix uses a single LF (line feed) character for a new line, while Windows computers use a LF+CR (line feed and a carriage return) pair for a newline. Possibly this forum software doesn't convert correctly from a Unix/Linux box. Otherwise... Might try the .1 update to Firefox.

I did the Firefox update to 23.0.1 the other day and it still fails the same way. I am using a Windows 7 PC.

Ok, I disabled the Active Touch General Plugin Container in my "Add-ons Manager" within Firefox and now the carriage returns show up when I use the "Reply to this topic" field at the bottom of the thread.

But if I click on the "Reply to this topic" button at the top of the page and it takes me to a different page where I can input a reply, the carriage returns still don't work when I do a reply that way.