Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 9mm preferred bullet

Mike750200

Anyone use Power Pistol with 147gr plated RN? Curious because I have some PP. In fact, that's all i have. Waiting for 231 and 700-x to arrive. 700-x will be for .45 loads later on.

I'm using PP with Berrys 147 plated. 3.9gr loaded to 1.133. Shoot very soft out of our 5.25 9mm's, and cycle well in the XDM's and the Sig 226. Haven't chronoed yet but they feel similar to Federal AE 147's. My only concern is the variation in weight of the Berry's is from 2-4 gr. We have some swamp bullets were going to try next. Bayou 147's that are lead, coated with some exclusive Australian crocodile snot that turns them green! Haven't weighed many but I think they are closer in tolerance than the Berrys. Time will tell.....

jd

Anyone use Power Pistol with 147gr plated RN? Curious because I have some PP. In fact, that's all i have. Waiting for 231 and 700-x to arrive. 700-x will be for .45 loads later on.

I'm using PP with Berrys 147 plated. 3.9gr loaded to 1.133. Shoot very soft out of our 5.25 9mm's, and cycle well in the XDM's and the Sig 226. Haven't chronoed yet but they feel similar to Federal AE 147's. My only concern is the variation in weight of the Berry's is from 2-4 gr. We have some swamp bullets were going to try next. Bayou 147's that are lead, coated with some exclusive Australian crocodile snot that turns them green! Haven't weighed many but I think they are closer in tolerance than the Berrys. Time will tell.....

jd

Thanks. Have about 2500 Xtreme 147gr RN. Will shoot through XDM 4.5 and Glock 19. Hard to beat their 15% discount right now.

This is what I use in my XDM 5.25 (Wolff 14 lb. recoil spring)

Bullet: Bullet Works or X-Treme 147 gr. Plated RN
Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
Primer: Federal 100
Case: Federal
LOAL: 1.145
Average Velocity: 916.41 fps
ES: 30.58
SD: 10.04

Velocity, ES, and SD from a Glock 17L with Lone Wolf Barrel

Prefer N-320 in my XDM but this load shoot well in my 17L too.

Edited by pbcaster45

• 1 month later...

I started with mg 124 jhp with 3.9g of titegroup oal 1.120 made around 1080fps very accurate. But started shooting more and more so tried some 124gr round nose ended up at 3.2g tg with oal 1.160 for a light steel load and 3.6g tg for uspsa minor load. The bayou bullets shoot just as accurate and just a clean for a lot less cash. I run a 16lb spring with solid guide rod.

• 2 months later...

You seem to really like Titegroup. I like the fact that it only takes a little bit to make a good sized Bang, but it seems very smokey ro me. Many guys at our indoor matches have been giving me a hard time about it, and in fact I have had to stop a few times and wait for the smoke to clear before I could make my next shot (4.5" XDm 9mm). The first ( and now every) time I shoot Titegroup the guys at the match say things like "shooting Titegroup again are ya?". I am nealy out of it, although I sill have a couple thousand rounds to shoot. None of my other powders smoke like this. I should mention that I am shooting lubed lead bullets, but I shoot them with other powders and no problem. I don't know. Maybe my loads are a little light and I'm not getting 100 combustion, but they feel snappier than any other powder, all things being equal (except amount of powder in grains of course). When we shoot low light matches, if I useTG, forget about it!

Okay... Well what would you suggest that shoots soft? Dirty I can deal with, clean and snappy, not so much..

Obviously, some people don't like titegroup, but a good, basic minor power factor load is 3.2 gr of titegroup with a 147gr RN bullet (I use plated bullets from xtreme) and 1.150 overall length. I know a lot of people that use similar loads, or go to about 4 grs of powder with 124gr FMJs (like from precision delta). The 147's are a little softer, and shoot very well in most of the firearms I've tried them in. If you want something a little cleaner, you could try vihtavuori powder (my friend uses 3.1 grs of N330 if I remember correctly), but I'm not sure it makes all that much difference.

Edited by BungeeeMan

For a real soft shooting load, I use 5.1 gr IMR SR4756 and 124 gr lead or jacketed. They shoot like puffballs. It's really a slow lift to the barrel instead of a snap like tightgroup. Only problem is that this powder is being discontinued, but it's still around, as much as any powder is still around. I see it here and there from time to time. Nice and clean burning too.

I have 2 XDm's and an XD tactical, they all prefer the 147 grain bullets. I had to back up to 50 yards to find this out because at 25 both the 147's and the MG 124 HP's produced the same group size. At 50 the 147's were the definite winner. So at the distance we shoot just pick the one that feels the best to you and load em up. The 147's were loaded with 3.6 of N320 or 3.3 of e3 at 1.145 OAL.

I use PP with 147gr rn 1.135oal 3.9gr. I like it.

JD