Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 1300 Defender

sgrc1

Trying to start shooting competition shotgun, I currently shoot LImited pistol, so I guess I will shoot limited shotgun just to be a limited overall shooter (for now).

I posted a topic asking for feedback on the FABARM shotguns, after reading through the Internet I found that it probably wasn´t the best shotgun to get for this purpose, I have now a friend whois selling a Winchester 1300 pump action shotgun (brand new) - what opinions do you guys have about this shotgun?, it comes with 8 round capacity and an 18inch barrel, would it be a good choice for IPSC competition?, how is the after market competition part for this model?, how much a disadvantage will I have vrs. guys shooting with semi automatic shotguns?

Thanks

I think Pat Kelley wields a 1300 occasionally and does fine with it. 18" sounds a bit short on the barrel, but as long as its cheap, its probably a winner. Then you'll be ready to shoot Heavy Metal with all real men. :D

I did just fine with mine for about a year against the semis. With good technique and practice you should be able to hold your own against anyone, a semi might be faster but there is a lot of skill that can make up for that. Get a 3gungear sidesaddle and that is all you should need. The rotary bolt of the 1300 makes it a very fast pump gun and mine has been as reliable as a hammer. Good luck, Craig

Yes - cheap it is, that´s why it looks good, in addition there is not much shotgun variety here in Guatemala.

smokshwn, what setup did you have in your shotgun?, any speedloading devices, special sights, etc..??, where is a good place to buy the 3gungear sidesaddle?, what shotgun did you move onto after the 1300?

Sergio

A pump just cannot compete against the auto's on a level playing field. To slow on the stages in general & way to slow on the speed shoots.

Benny is probably right...especially at his level.

Auto's shoot softer and recover quickly.

But, below the level of the best 3-gunners, I think a guy could compete nearly as well with a good pump gun.

If I were on a limited budget, or had limited availability, I'd be fine going with a pump gun.

The most important thing is a gun that runs. Next, would be stuffing it with shells.

A pump just cannot compete against the auto's on a level playing field. To slow on the stages in general & way to slow on the speed shoots.

Benny is probably right...especially at his level.

Auto's shoot softer and recover quickly.

But, below the level of the best 3-gunners, I think a guy could compete nearly as well with a good pump gun.

If I were on a limited budget, or had limited availability, I'd be fine going with a pump gun.

The most important thing is a gun that runs. Next, would be stuffing it with shells.

I agree.....if there is space between targets, and you are a skilled pump gunner, you are at no disadvantage. Where autos do have an appreciable advantage is plate racks, and closely packed target clusters.

Sgrc1

You can get the sidesaddle form 3 Gun Gear

That is the only addition I used to my gun. It did have the Fiber Optic front sight when I bought it, if the one you are looking at doesn't have it I would suggest it. Other than that I left it stock.

I totally agree with Benny, in that ALL FACTORS being equal the semi be faster. When I was making my statements about being able to be competitive they came from my own experience. Most people at the club level have very poor shotgun skills that hamper them even though they are shooting a faster gun than you. I came to this sport from a very competitive clay target background and found that I could be competitive with the pump because I had better foundational shotgun skills.

As I became more serious about three gun I did get a Winchester SX2 Practical, but it is still endless fun to go shoot the pump and put a frown on a few semi shooters.

Benny,

The reason I was so encouraging to Sg was he is in Guatemala and has a very limited selection of shotguns.

As Benny says, it's hard to compete with a semi. However, I have a 1300 that sounds just like your friend's and, IMO, its a very nice pump gun.

I also have a 870 and I prefer the 1300. It's lighter and I prefer the stroke to the 870. I shot a 1100 in matches, however.

Thank´s to everyone who has contributed to my question so far. :)

Smokshwn is right on!, the biggest problem is that here in Guatemala we have very limited option of shotguns and pistols... today I concluded my round of all the gun shops in town, and this is what I found:

a) Fabarm shotgun: semi auto, very nice BUT very high priced, long barrel configuration only 28" and 30" and as far as I read very few people use them for IPSC, which means: Not proven in competition.

B) Winchester 1300: good price, good brand, downside: Pump action

c) Hatsan, semi auto: inexpensive, made in Turkey... The guy selling them claims that Benelli aftermarket parts will fit (I don´t honestly know, but doubt it somehow), these guys have several models but none of them look of good quality (link: www.hatsan.com.tr) Has anybody had any experience with this brand?

The above is all I can purchase here at the moment. This is why I am sort of thinking of getting the Winchester, of course if I was told that it was a total waste of money not suitable for competition I would be happier saving my money and not purchasing anything at all...

BTW, we are just going to start shooting shotgun matches in December, so nobody really shoots shotgun at the moment :o, so I can´t go around trying different types.. they are all pretty much finding out options as I am..

Thanks

Sg,

In my opinion the most important skill/ability that applies to 3 gun shotgun is recoil control. If you cannot control the gun in recoil then the speed of the guns action will be no use to you. This is the area I feel you can create the biggest advantages regardless of action type. Almost all semi gun can cycle (benny correct me if I screw this up) in less than .15 secs. You make up your time by being able to control the recoil and reduce your target transition times.

Good luck and keep us posted on your guy's first match. Craig

I started by borrowing 1100 race guns, but my first shotgun was a Mossberg 500A hand-me-down. Back then I could whup all of the other pump gunners (most of them shot 870s) and a few of the self-loaders. Of course, back then (90s) it was less of a reloading contest.

Nowadays, it seems like the shotgun stages are reloading contests, and I typically do poorly even though I have my own 1100 now. With that kind of course design, the type of action doesn't matter as much as it does with a low round count speed shoot.

I think a Win 1300 would make a fine starter gun and would be a lot of fun to shoot.