Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 230 gr Plated RN / Bullseye / mixed brass / WLP primers

Fureio

I wanted to make sure this recipe is safe, as the COL looks way too short.

I went with 1.20 COL - Since I am using a mix bag of brass from Federal, Winchester, and Remington once fired bass - the COL variance is anything from 1.19-1.22

I am starting my load testing at 4 grains and going all the way to 5. 10 rounds per .2 grain bump. Since this is the first batch of rounds going through my XL650 - and the COL looks shorter than any round i've put through my 5 inch barrel Kimber - I wanted to see what you all thought. Thanks for any input you may have

Everyone I know loads .45 for 1911s to 1.25 col. When i was new at reloading I experimented with shorter col with a kimber and I had many feeding problems. Started loading to 1.25 problems went away. My STI Trojan runs like a champ with 1.25.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using Berrys 230gr RN, 4.8gr Bullseye, mixed brass, and Win Large pistol primers. My overall length is 1.265 +/- Out of a 4" barrel, velocity is 780fps. Great plinking round

If you bring the OAL down to 1.25 you can reduce your load to 4.6 you will get the same FPS. At least that's the results I am getting out of a 1911 with 5.25 inch barrel.

I just started making batches of 45acp with Herters once fired brass, lg pistol rem 2 1/2 primers, Berrys 185 grain hollow base jacketd RN bullets, unique powder at 5.6 gr, 6.2 gr and 6.5 gr at 1.275 + 0.005 inches. Chrono results using a SIG 5 inch barrel 1911 were in order

avg 737 fps SD16

avg 829 fps SD 16

avg 841fps SD 10

The rounds with 6.5 grains were also tested with my long time reloading friends chrono averaging 862fps and a SD of 13.

Hope this helps for comparison.

Edited by Buildit2