Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When did overnight get so expensive ?

You are not kidding. Four years ago I purchased a P226 online and Fedex overnight cost me $56. Last month when my new limited was ready to ship my the builder sent it USPS Priority because Fedex overnight would have cost $116 insured.

• 4 weeks later...

I NEVER insure a gun when shipping it off as it adds up quickly in cost. I have collectinsure on my collection which does not require serial numbers and covers the gun when shipped up to different limits depending on shipping methods. UPS/FedEx for long guns can be the way to go if shipped ground as they are usually be pretty reasonable for longguns and are cheaper than USPS. For handguns, I use flat rate Priority mail packages or regional rate packages

www.collectinsure.com

Edited by EkuJustice

Shipping handguns via USPS FFL to FFL is legal, non licensees are not allowed by postal regulations to ship handguns even if shipping to a FFL.

this is correct.

if you're not an FFL (i.e. a licensee) it may be cheaper in some cases to have your local gunstore ship it for you if they charge a reasonable fee.

FFL's can ship (to another FFL) via USPS priority mail which (depending upon insurance and distance) can be as little as $15 vs. a non-FFL that must ship by private carrier (e.g. fedex or UPS). those carrier's have (my opinion) been price-fixing to gouge the general public on handgun shipping for years since they both agreed to require non-licensees to ship handguns only at express rates. /tinfoil hat mode off now...

Edited by jaredr

UPS started the gouging in 1999 when they could not control the theft of firearms by their own employees primarily out of the Alexandria, Va area where InterArms was located.

This is the news story given at the time. There is an error in the story where it states "The U.S. Postal Service is legally barred from shipping handguns.", this is not true.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/08/business/fi-19934

Edited by retarmyaviator

UPS started the gouging in 1999 when they could not control the theft of firearms by their own employees primarily out of the Alexandria, Va area where InterArms was located.

This is the news story given at the time. There is an error in the story where it states "The U.S. Postal Service is legally barred from shipping handguns.", this is not true.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/08/business/fi-19934

i recall that that theft prevention was the story both carriers claimed, could not remember whether it was UPS or Fedex that did it first but once one carrier announced that policy, they other followed suit almost immediately.

honestly wondered whether there was any legitimacy to their story or whether it was just a convenient way to gouge more money from a marginalized constituency. these price hikes policy changes were introduced right in the middle of the clinton AWB and there was little public appreciation for the significant cost increase these new prices would impose on the shooting sports community.

Insured USPS packages will have to be signed for, that is not just for firearms shipments. Some FFLs do not like to receive shipments via USPS because they do not know the regulations that allow that. I have been an FFL dealer since 1983 and all to often I have to email or fax copies of the regulations to other dealers who insist it is illegal to ship firearms via the USPS.

I believe that LEO's can ship via USPO. Some FFL's don't want to receive firearms via USPO cause they have to visit the PO to sign for it.