Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current thinking on 308 compensators?

michael1778

Hi,

What is the current thinking in the community on 308 muzzle brakes (compensators)? Is it the usual suspects that we would see in a 223 lineup?

In no particular order:

• Rolling Thunder
  • SJC Titan
  • JP
  • Nordic Corvette
  • Seekins
  • Other?

Am am I missing any? Do you have preferences you'd care to share?

I'm about to begin collecting the components for a 308 AR build based on a Criterion barrel. Might take a while depending on part availability and funds.

Thanks for your input.

---------------------------

Editing to add that this would be for 3-gun Heavy Metal competition on an occasional basis.

Edited by michael1778

Is this just for personal use or competition use? If personal or going Open, the JP Tank Brake is the best in my opinion. The Titan is a very close second and is allowed in HM division. I haven't tried the others but I have a rolling thunder in 223 and it is awesome also.

I have used the Miculek and the Rolling Thunder. Have one on each of two similar uppers, both using DPMS AP4 16" barrels. The Miculek works but the Rolling Thunder really tames it down. I had to drill out the small top and side port just a bit to correct some tendancy to torque up and right. But Benny designed the comp to be tuned like that. Be ready for a fireball with the RT though.

Craig

I have the rolling thunder on a 308 16" mid length gas with syrac adj. block.

I am not very popular with friends at the range but wow does it tame the beast and as mentioned above the rolling thunder is user adjustable to suit your style, even lefties like me.

With the sjc Titan I have on my sig 716 the noise is not that loud for the shooter compared to the a2 I had on it. That is a different story for the people shooting next to you at the range. They will give you dirty looks but the recoil reduction is worth it. It made it soft enough my 5'7" 120lb wife will shoot it until I make her stop. I'd say the Titan but it is the only one I've tried

With the sjc Titan I have on my sig 716 the noise is not that loud for the shooter compared to the a2 I had on it. That is a different story for the people shooting next to you at the range. They will give you dirty looks but the recoil reduction is worth it. It made it soft enough my 5'7" 120lb wife will shoot it until I make her stop. I'd say the Titan but it is the only one I've tried

Our match ROs know well enough to reposition around Titans, etc. I was only worried about me. You've got good news for me.

The indoor range where I can do quick function tests works with me to find a lane way away from anyone that might find side blast objectionable.

I wish someone made some 110gr loads for general sale. I don't have any reloading equipment. If I add frequent .308 and .45 ACP to my annual shooting totals, I probably should investigate it again.