Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

start position and the safety position

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I went out and watched the RO's shoot last night in the dark for a few stages at the night match. What did I hear? Shooter ready? Stand by! Click!!! Beep! Boom!!!

That was just one example. I don't think whoever it was was trying to cheat. Just trying to get ready to shoot. It was dark so I don't even know who it was but I think it might have been MarkCO.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Oh...and clubs that require long guns to be staged cruiser ready are stupid. The extra firearms manipulations confusions caused,especially a new shooter, make for a much less safe match.

I agree - the same with requiring guns to be completely unloaded for abandonment.

Funny I went out and watched the RO's shoot last night in the dark for a few stages at the night match. What did I hear? Shooter ready? Stand by! Click!!! Beep! Boom!!!

That was just one example. I don't think whoever it was was trying to cheat. Just trying to get ready to shoot. It was dark so I don't even know who it was but I think it might have been MarkCO.

That's why I said in my first post that we let folks start safety-off in situations where we can't reasonably enforce the safety rule. This match would fit the bill.

I could give a F**K less about the topic of this thread, but I am now thinking about a trip to South East Asia! How about some travel tips from Mr. Weakhand? Or better yet a guided tour of some of the "higher" class establishments?

:cheers:

Make an Armadillo smile and the world is your oyster! I'm your man Stlhead,, leave the cough drops at home!!

I don't know what you just says which means its gotta be good! What shots do I need to get before we leave and which ones should I have waiting for our return?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Millions of clay birds are shot yearly at registered events without safeties being engaged...ever. Many of those firearms even have release triggers. Out of habit I flip my safeties on way too much while moving and then forget to take it off while engaging targets. This is most apparent on shotguns where safeties aren't as easy to manipulate as an AR-15. I don't mind the safety rules at start but I've seen some very unsafe weapons handling after the safety gets turned off that worries me more than a long gun with the safety off at the start.

Oh...and clubs that require long guns to be staged cruiser ready are stupid. The extra firearms manipulations confusions caused,especially a new shooter, make for a much less safe match.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD

With respect I like the cruiser ready starts for guns that are not in your hands at the start. Seems safer because the weapon is not direclty under the shooters control until he grabs it and it adds some good training to those of us who keep our guns like that at home or work for self defense.

Pat

Millions of clay birds are shot yearly at registered events without safeties being engaged...ever. Many of those firearms even have release triggers. Out of habit I flip my safeties on way too much while moving and then forget to take it off while engaging targets. This is most apparent on shotguns where safeties aren't as easy to manipulate as an AR-15. I don't mind the safety rules at start but I've seen some very unsafe weapons handling after the safety gets turned off that worries me more than a long gun with the safety off at the start.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD

With respect I like the cruiser ready starts for guns that are not in your hands at the start. Seems safer because the weapon is not direclty under the shooters control until he grabs it and it adds some good training to those of us who keep our guns like that at home or work for self defense.

Pat

Cruiser ready firearms dont really affect someone who is profficient. I do feel they make a newer shooter fumble and due to the confusion it can cause them to swing their muzzle or put their booger finger on the trigger a bit too much. This was really apparent at the Zombie match.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

If you've got someone who is confused by the manipulations of chambering a round and taking the safety off please explain to me how it would be safer to have them pick up a gun that already had a round chambered.