Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Happened to Brass

I make my own lube. 10% pure lanolin 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Dump about 200 to 300 in a shallow cardboard box with the seams taped. Push them all down flat on their sides so spray does not get in the mouth of the casings spray very very lightly then shake and pan. I have been using the same box for about 2 years so it has a nice patina to it. stopped buying lube a long time ago. I buy a gallon of alcohol and 2 pounds of lanolin on amazon. the lanolin is sold as a hair gel in the beauty section for about $8 a pound. the alcohol in the industrial section for about $50 a gallon.

This..

I make my own lube too. 16 oz of 90% iso alky and 4 oz of lanolin, but I think I'm going to double the alky to 32 on the next batch to cut down on some of the oiliness (and make it cheaper to make). Dump the solution into a old Windex bottle and give 200 cases about 3 shots on the "spray" bottle setting. Press works smooth as butter.

I've been using the Dillon stuff in a cookie sheet with a towel under it. I'm new to reloading and haven't tried the hornady one lube but heard it was supposed to be better than the Dillon lube.

Who did you hear that from????

No way One Stuck is better than DCL. Do a little more research on that before you try it for bottleneck brass. It does work great for pistol though.

Here is what to get to make great lube.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028MLKC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DNQX3C/ref=oh_details_o03_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As indicated above, it will run in any spray bottle set to mist

10% Lanolin

90% Alcohol

or adjust to preference.

• 2 weeks later...

1) The brass shown is bulged and you are seeing the difference where the die resized it. You can use something like the Lee Bulge Buster to size the round all the way down, with straight walled cases (9mm is actually tapered).

2) I don't lube pistol cases. I have carbide dies and never bothered. I tumble them with corn cob media and Dillion Rapid Polish to clean them up a bit, they run them through the press.

3) I use Dillon case lube. Having had to resize some primed cases, I found that you don't need much lube. I sprayed a bit on a piece of plastic and dipped a finger in it and lubed the cases one by one to prevent ANY lube from getting inside. I found I needed a LOT less lube than I had thought. In fact, once the die was lubed, I could run 3 - 4 unlubed cases through without any hint of extra force or sticking. 3 - 4 was the limit of my being adventurous. :)

I make my own lube. 10% pure lanolin 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Dump about 200 to 300 in a shallow cardboard box with the seams taped. Push them all down flat on their sides so spray does not get in the mouth of the casings spray very very lightly then shake and pan. I have been using the same box for about 2 years so it has a nice patina to it. stopped buying lube a long time ago. I buy a gallon of alcohol and 2 pounds of lanolin on amazon. the lanolin is sold as a hair gel in the beauty section for about $8 a pound. the alcohol in the industrial section for about $50 a gallon.

This is what I do as well except I just toss the cases in a big Zip lock bag. Just mix up a batch in an old Windex spray bottle. Give the bottle a couple shakes as the lanolin likes to settle. A couple quick sprays into the bag and then shake, shake, shake. Plus since it's just alcohol and some nipple cream, you don't have to worry about handling/inhaling any more chemicals.

• 1 month later...

Threads a little old, but just found it. That brass looks like old Norinco brass I used to find at the range. It was really soft brass, and would bulge when fired. When ran thru the sizer, it would leave a ring just like the pics. AMERC brass does the same thing. OP, what is the headstamps on the brass?

When I lube, I use the Dillon pump. I dump the brass in an old no-stick bread pan my mom was throwing out because the inside surface was all scratched up. I have never worried about keeping it out of the case mouths and have not had any issues. All I know is that these spray lubes beat the balls off of rolling cases on a lube pad. Glad those days are over for me!