Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Effective Reduced Recoil Shotgun Rounds for 3 gun

thegunnerd

Hi Everyone

I've been doing some research ( both on line and on my right shoulder ) and i'm trying to figure out some of the best choices for light recoil shotgun rounds that would be used in 3 gun courses of fire.

If you don't know what 3 gunners shoot they usually fall into the category of :

Bird

Buck

Slug

For Slugs i've not found anything better then Fiocchi low recoil slugs . You can buy em in the ammo can from fiocchi. Accurate and very easy to shoot ( especially out of a benelli )

As for Bird shot i think this is where there are going to be a lot of opinions. I've shot so many different boxes of ammo, i'm not sure I can figure out what's best. I do like winchester AA light target , but i haven't checked them in my benelli to see if it will run. With a lightened bolt i believe it will. What velocity should one look for in a bird shot round ?

As buck shot goes, I have zero clue on this one. All i've found to date are full recoil or magnum and those are NOT fun to shoot.

I'd love to hear what everyone uses in what gun .

I use Federal Tru-ball low recoil slugs. For birdshot, it varies. If it is all clays, I will run Winchester AA light target #9s. If it is steel, I usually run AA Super Handicap 7.5s. If it is farther steel, high brass 6 or 7.5. I normally run a modified choke, but will switch for some stages. At the He Man nationals, I ran a full choke and Winchester 9 pellet OO on the buckshot stage.

Hurley

I've been using Federal 1 ounce reduced recoil, Remington Managed Recoil and Fiocchi 1 ounce slugs. Depends on availability. I have a bunch of Remington Managed Recoil 00 Buck, I got it at an awesome price, so, I use it. It took over all the poppers at the He Man with no issues. Birdshot is usually 7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 ounce around 1200 fps, or something similar.

Looking in the ole ammo closet , i have both winchester AA light target and heavy target. Federal heavy target 3 1/4 dr . I'd like to try the remington sts managed recoil #9 shot as well.

It's great not to worry about what my benelli will shoot like i did with the mossberg jm pro I had.

If you are running a Benelli, the Fiocchi Aero 7/8 oz are the way to go. Soft shooting and very accurate.

For bird I run Winchester AA in 7.5 or 8. AA127 or AA128 are the product codes. With proper choke selection they take care of anything that has to be knocked down or broken.

I do keep a few Remington Express 6 on hand if there is an MGM spinner on a stage.

All these loads run no problem from my 21" Benelli M2 field gun. Aside from a garage welded carrier, it is bone stock. No lightening or otherwise.

Kuan

Estate 7.5 for most birdshot, occasionally #6 Federals & Some high brass #6 for tricky steel swingers. Federal reduced recoil Tru-Ball slugs are cost efficient and the best grouping slugs after Brenneke from my 930.

If you are running a Benelli, the Fiocchi Aero 7/8 oz are the way to go. Soft shooting and very accurate.

For bird I run Winchester AA in 7.5 or 8. AA127 or AA128 are the product codes. With proper choke selection they take care of anything that has to be knocked down or broken.

I do keep a few Remington Express 6 on hand if there is an MGM spinner on a stage.

All these loads run no problem from my 21" Benelli M2 field gun. Aside from a garage welded carrier, it is bone stock. No lightening or otherwise.

Kuan

What chokes do you favor ? I have a briley IC right now probably going to snag a Mod soon enough. But until then i'll just use the crio-chokes that are in the gun. I need to see which one they are the most accurate shooting slugs sometime soon. Do you find that you use full all that often?

Kuan

What chokes do you favor ? I have a briley IC right now probably going to snag a Mod soon enough. But until then i'll just use the crio-chokes that are in the gun. I need to see which one they are the most accurate shooting slugs sometime soon. Do you find that you use full all that often?

I keep skeet, light modified, and a full in my range gear. I run the light mod most of the time with the skeet finding its way in if there are a lot of clays in close. I have only used the full at Midwest 3 Gun where they like to separate the shoot and no-shoots by only a few inches.

I don't know how particular brands stack up against each other, but I use Carlson's extended for easy changing at the preload table.

Kuan

Kuan

I keep skeet, light modified, and a full in my range gear. I run the light mod most of the time with the skeet finding its way in if there are a lot of clays in close. I have only used the full at Midwest 3 Gun where they like to separate the shoot and no-shoots by only a few inches.

I don't know how particular brands stack up against each other, but I use Carlson's extended for easy changing at the preload table.

Kuan

I shot a local match last week that had 4x4" plates with no shoot plates hardcovering the shootplates so only 4x2" was visible.

Light mod held off a couple of inches worked wonders on these.

I use Diffusion, Light Mod and Xtra Full Chokes. Light mod is the primary. Diffusion if there are more clays/flipper targets. and the Xtra full is only used on spinners, poppers that are over 25 yards out or are giving other shooters grief to knock down.

I use Winchester Bulk pack 7 1/2 shot as standard. Just started using Prairie Storm #6 for spinners (works wonders) and the only "Low recoil rounds I use are Fiocchi Buckshot and slugs

My favorite "low recoil" birdshot load for my SX2 is the Federal Game Load 7.5s. They are cheap 1 oz loads at a high velocity that seem to work fine on steel but are a bit softer than the more common 1 1/8 oz loads.

Slugs - Remington Managed Recoil - accurate & soft

Buck - Remington Managed Recoil 8 pellet

Bird - Winchester AA Extra Light 7.5's & 8's (1oz, 1150fps IIRC) & AA Heavy Target (1-1/8oz, 1200 fps) for the spinners or known stubborn steel. Under match conditions, it is really hard to quantify any difference in shootability for me though, and I'm a light guy.

Gun: Benelli M1 - the extra lights function just fine without a lightened bolt for me.

Edited by Dave Gundry

NOTE: Lightened bolts DO NOT improve reliability with light loads.

what do they do? look cool?

They have the potential to cycle faster. And produce a different recoil impulse.

Cool, I just did what Mike Cywrus told me to do. I didnt argue because it looks cool!

NOTE: Lightened bolts DO NOT improve reliability with light loads.

what do they do? look cool?

They have the potential to cycle faster. And produce a different recoil impulse.

Cool, I just did what Mike Cywrus told me to do. I didnt argue because it looks cool!

Mike knows! You are good to go!