Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy 9's

Kingman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of a project I did almost 20 years ago. I was shooting falling plates at a local club and I was trying to find a load that would work better with my Hi Power. (Trying to make a 9mm into a 357 mag.)

My problem with most heavy bullets was with case bulging, where the base of the bullet would be inside the case. I quickly found out the 9mm’s case was also tapered on the inside as well, getting thicker as it went down to the case head. I fear you may have this same problem in some cases.

I finally stumbled appon a turncated cone boat tail 160 grain that offered the best compromise between bullet mass and potental velocity. The local caster was kind enough to size me a few thousand to .356 to try in my HP and the results were great.

Unfortunately I can’t find my notes on the load data. All I remember was that it was blue dot powder. I did not own a chronograph back then so the only test results I had was how well they knocked down the plates.

I’m looking forward to hearing your results.

Doc.

I started shooting IPSC in 1986 in Dallas, TX. Single stack 45s with single port comps and Bomars were hi-tech! One of the local shooters was shooting 'major" 9 (before the term actually existed) with 158 grain 38/357 bullets sized to 356. Several of us used 160 grain lead round nose bullets loaded to 38 Super length. 38 Super brass was much harder to get in 1986 and the supported barrels from Clark was just starting - heavy bullets were used to keep the pressure down.

We also used the 160 grain LRN in 9mm for plate loads. We used HS6 or WW540 powders.

Anyway, 9mm load in 9x19 length and 38 Super length were used extensively. I still have several 500 count boxes of the 160s and also 150 lead SWCs.

My experience so far.

most cases the is a slight visible bulge. however they drop easily into a case gauge. and my case gauge is tighter than any chamber i have found. However almost All S&B brass and some PMC is thicker and bulges too much.

right now i'm running them out of my beretta at a 135 power factor. and it is feeling nice. sights are very easy to track. they should function in a glock well at that power factor also.

p.s. i can't wait to see the look on the chronno guys face... sir sir..did you know you have a 180 grain bullet!!!

• 3 weeks later...

IM shooting 147 grain bullets in my 9, and plan on giving Winchester SUper Target a try..seeing that winchester has data that makes major with a 40, i imagine i can squeeze 130 pf out of a heavy 9mm safely despite the fact winchester doesnt list any loads with WST in the 9mm.

so far i have tried everything except VV powders and WST,,

i dont think i want to mess with any 180 grain bullets.

steve,

i tried a very light load in my g34 recently. 2.5gr n310 with master blaster 147 bullets. wouldnt work with a 13 lb ismi spring. so i tried a 13 lb ismi spring that broke last year...about 7 coils broke off. that worked, but not 100%.

what spring are you using in your g17 for these 180gr bullets? i'm going to talk to bob and get a thousand of the 180s to try...but i'm sure that 13 lb-minus-7-coils spring isnt going to work. any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

i used a 13 pound spring in my 17, it worked well. i had a 11 pound spring from ISMI but that was rather annoying because it was heavier than my 15... maybe mis-labeled i wouldn't reccomend cutting coils from an ISMI spring. thought.

I found the greatest benefit of the 180 to come in running a 140 PF load and still having less recoil than the 147 at 130 PF. Do you have an aftermarket bbl in your glock i did have some leading problems in a stock barrel using 180's

Steve wrote: Do you have an aftermarket bbl in your glock i did have some leading problems in a stock barrel using 180's

Good point; leading is supposed to get worse with faster powders & 310 is about as fast as it gets. Glock once warned in is manuals that UNCOATED Lead+Glock = KB! (if you are using a stock Glock barrel) The Master Blasters Driver8M3 tried are not bare lead but rather polymer/moly coated (polymer jacketed really) so they are safe (unlike lead). Just thought I'd point this out since I gave him the coated bullets & did not want anyone to think I was trying to get him "blowed up!" (even if he is my competition).

OK Kingman - a heavy minor load eh? I got your heavyload - right here!

site1037.JPG

I'll see your 180 grain and raise you 40 grains! That's right - a minor .40 load using a 220 grain bullet! I'll need to make a whoping 586+ feet per second with these heavyweights to meet minor & man are they going to recoil soft!

I've got you now, Kingman! You better quit this contest or else. Don't make me go .45 on your ass! (hmmmm - .45 minor w/ a 255 grain - lets see - that's 490 FPS! Should we turn the .45 ACP into a glorified slingshot with a 300 grain minor load @ 416fps?).

Seriously, it was good to see you & Steve tonight; I appreciate you guys taking the time to travel all that way for our match.

Folks: I tried out Bob's 180 minor load & it is amazing! Certainly seems like the way to go in 9mm.

Regards,

Douglas

So carlos, has that funny little smirk you had on your face after shooting those loads subsided yet.?

Yes, a little leading is expected in a Glock factory barrel, if you run some jacketed every 200 ish rounds it's not as bad (couple dabs of oil helps)

The match was a great match, very well run.... would have been better for me if i had engaged my brain BEFORE i shot the first stage lol... and if i had brought more clothes! (warmer ones for sure)

I allready have heavier .40 bullets and .45 bullets in the wokrs.

I have a guy making 250+ graing .40 bullets

I have also looked at 350+ grain .45 bullets its all dependent on what I can get to fit with enough powder to push it out.

BTW the .50 GI will make minor easily with a 400gr bullet available.

I allready have heavier .40 bullets and .45 bullets in the wokrs.

I have a guy making 250+ graing .40 bullets

I have also looked at 350+ grain .45 bullets its all dependent on what I can get to fit with enough powder to push it out.

BTW the .50 GI will make minor easily with a 400gr bullet available.

Or.....you could take all that time and use it to practice with a G17 and some cheap ass 125 grain ammo :P:D:ph34r:

damn, sorry i missed the 180gr 9mm show. would have loved to have tried them.

when looking for leading in my glock barrel, what exactly should i be looking for?

steve: are you saying that you just run some jacketed rounds through the barrel instead of cleaning? or in addition to cleaning?

Leading you will notice that your rifling seems to "fill up" with lead, this decreases the diameter in the bore that the bullet can travel through. which can increase pressure not much of a problem with the bullets pressures we are using but can be if left unattended. so when you look down the BBL and it just looks nasty as heck.. that's leading

yes, couple drops of oil follwed by about 5 jacketed rounds (355 diameter of course) and it seems to clear things up.

as for Jacketed 357 MAGNUM bullets their diameter is generally .357 or .358 i would NOT shoot these in a barrel designed for .355 bullets. we are running .357 lead but lead is much softer and generally it is reccomended and practiced to run .001 thicker lead than the size of a jacketed b ullet in that caliber. so we are only actually going one thousandth of an inch over what is normally used in 9mm. Bob is going to try some things to make the bullets come out to .357 in the near future.

These bullets being the initial size they are will not go straight through a .356 sizing die because it actually shears alot of lead off. What I am going to have to do is size them once though a .357 then second pass them through a .356. Kinda a pain but its an experiment.

The other talk was regards to the 180 grain jackedted .357 bullets. I can run them through my sizer just by turing off the lube injector. The problem will be is that they are longer than the 180 gr solid lead bullets. Based on what we have found with the 180gr lead I don't think this will actually be feasible, but we will update when we get a chance to try it.

• 2 months later...

merged threads

Folks - I'm thinking about trying 147-160 grain cast bullets in my CZ-75B and Beretta 92 Brigadier. I'll be trying Kead Bullets because they're close, and they offer boxes of 100. They offer 147 grain FPs, 150 grain SWCs and 160 grain RNs. I'll probably load them to ~1.16" over Bullseye (because I have a bunch of it) to a PF of ~130-135.

Anything to be careful about when I load these? I'm kinda leery about the 150 SWC - don't know if it'll fit in the case at a usable OAL for 9x19, and I'm not sure if it'll feed, although both guns are stone reliable with everything else I've put through them.

Also, is there a big (> two-three inches at 25 yards) POI change from 124s at 1200 fps?

Thanks!

Edited by Flexmoney

I've loaded heavys up to 158 grain lrn in 9mm. The thing to watch out for is nose length. A 160 grain bullet with a long swc nose, meant for a revolver, will be too long for the 9mm. by the time you seat it to 1.16" there isn't any case room left for powder.

From what I recall, you won't gain anything past 147 grains or so. The extra weight of a 160 over a 147/150 (they can be as much as 150, depending on the alloy used) isn't much, and not worth the hassle.