Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

yeah, he looks so high strung I don't know how he gets thru an entire match ....

no doubt he has a ligit sub one second surrender draw. Like with USPSA, it's distance dependent too so while the top shooters are doing 1 sec or less on S&H they are probably not doing that on Pendulum, Outer Limits & maybe Speed option ...

All in all, it's good to see where the current limit is and that sub 1 sec is doable ....

It appears you can cut some time as well if you wear your belt/pants up above your belly button.

good point .... however, just like with wearing a little box on your head, I'll find another way to accomplish the same thing ... :)

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL, of course. I probably watched 15 more videos of both those guys and noticed the faster steel guys in Japans airsoft SC all had their pants/belt lines above the bellybutton. Some of them had their DAA holster set up in that appendix style carry but had it pushed out a few more inches using some sort of a custom setup. It looked like a giant U, as the bottom appears to be resting against their leg when they hunch over. i'm assuming so the holster has no downward flex when they grab the gun.

I've loved reading your entire thread, I'm sure at some point I'll bump in to you at a larger match as I occasionally hit the east coast.

yeah, he looks so high strung I don't know how he gets thru an entire match ....

no doubt he has a ligit sub one second surrender draw. Like with USPSA, it's distance dependent too so while the top shooters are doing 1 sec or less on S&H they are probably not doing that on Pendulum, Outer Limits & maybe Speed option ...

All in all, it's good to see where the current limit is and that sub 1 sec is doable ....

It appears you can cut some time as well if you wear your belt/pants up above your belly button.

lol, yeah that seems to be part of it!

pants above belly button

super cool ninja hand position

crouch over to reduce distance between shoulders and gun

remember to not relax. be stressed.

work gun in and out of holster 20 or so times before each draw

= instant GM.. :)

given that I haven't shot Speed Option in over 4 weeks I decided I better get some time in on this stage ....

I've tweaked my training routine slightly in that instead of just shooting a bunch of reps I now only do 5 reps at a time, take a quick break & then do another 5 & so on. This simulates match conditions and is a method to put match-type pressure on me in training ... which is something that is critically important. Also, individual string times are basically meaningless, what matters is your stage time.

Started in Accuracy Mode; 1st stage run was 10.74 secs, 2nd was 10.62 secs & final run was 10.73 secs. Ave 1st shot across all runs was .78 secs

In Speed Mode since I'm just looking for speed gains I run all individual strings together, not groups of 5. Ave time across all runs was 2.11 secs. Included in the 13 runs were five 5/5 runs of the final seven with times of 2.38, 2.22, 2.23, 2.36 & 2.48 secs. By way of comparison, KC's ave string time on Speed Option at the US Nationals this year was 2.24 secs. What this means is that for this stage I don't need to be pushing any more speed; I'm good right where I am .... we'll now focus on seeing faster so that those 2/5 & 3/5 runs turn into 5/5 runs with the same time ...

Finishing up in Shot Calling mode my stage times were: 10.14 secs & 9.79 secs. First shot ave time was .73 secs

Good session overall but I need to work on my 1st shot some more in dryfire as when I had a miss it was usually on the first plate which is completely unacceptable ... Saturday I'm heading to Volusia County for their monthly match as they hold an 8-stage sanctioned match ... assuming the rains don't cancel the event ... they have a lot of water on the range & depending how the week goes it may scrub. Luckily I can contact the MD Friday night so I don't make the 1.5 hr drive for nothing ....

pants above belly button

You forgot keeping your arms close to the body instead of extending them. I've been wondering about that. If you keep the gun in close could you control it better?

pants above belly button

You forgot keeping your arms close to the body instead of extending them. I've been wondering about that. If you keep the gun in close could you control it better?

funny, last night I spent an hour with my DAA holster and moved it around working with my CED timer. I've always had it in the 2 o'clock position, as low as it can go and slightly angled away. Since I shoot Limited, SS, CO,Prod, I actually found I'm faster with the racemaster and 2011 set like a normal holster than any of the other ways people use them. I'm awaiting my safariland GLS to show up, but I have a feeling I will have a faster draw from a normal holster compared to a race style. I think it has more to do with confidence on it. I've never had my 2011 fall from the holster, etc. but for some reason I have this thought in the back of my mind if I grab it wrong on a draw it will fall forward and DQ me. This has been the same thought since 2012ish. lol

Headed up to Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club for their monthly SC match. They just started running 8-stage matches which is really great. That combined with changing my monthly match to a 7-stager means I'll be getting a lot more stage match time over the course of the year. This is particularly good news for stages 5 To Go & Outer Limits which I only got to shoot twice in all of 2014. Greg Kerce runs a great match and with 8 stages the squads are very small ... which means you can move smartly though the stages, particularily useful on a day like today which it was supposed to start raining by mid day ...

Ended up taking HOA but more importantly I had a new match time personal best (88.32) plus new personal bests on Smoke & Hope & Speed Option. I was also cruising to a new sub 10 sec personal best on 5 To Go with 3 solid runs of 2.54, 2.44 & 2.41 but then had 2 3 sec runs again like last week, still ended up only.18 secs off my personal best. Gonna hit 5 To Go hard in dry fire this week ... I also had 3 solid back-to-back Outer Limits runs which put me just .15 secs above my current personal best there as well. All in all a very solid match for me ....

Decided I deserved to have some fun so I did a little speculating WRT the new planned rimfire classification system .... if I assume that Outer Limits & Speed Option will not used for classification like in the current system for centerfire, then my current 'unofficial' rimfire classification has crept up to 93.98%. If I use all 8 stages then I'm sitting at only 90.62% since Outer Limits at 79% is dragging me down. All I need to do is focus a bit on 5 To Go ......

• 3 weeks later...

so I haven't posted since 12 sept but that was on purpose since I was prepping for the PA Steel Challenge State Championship & I didn't want any distractions. I was really focused on not having a repeat of the Nationals. the results won't be final for 48 hrs and I needed to submit a correction to the MD last night as my 'senior' catagory status had not made it into the offical scores. that's kinda important as I finished 6.59 secs ahead of the guy currently shown sitting in the Senior Combined Divisions overall first place position ....

As for other standings; I finshed 8th overall in RFPO out of 75 competitors & 15th in the overall combined standings out of 327 entrants. Of the 7 shooters who finished ahead of me in RFPO, at least 4 are recognized 'pro' shooters. In the Combined Overall, 9 of the 14 ahead of me are pros ...

My overall time was 2.16 secs above my personal best and although I didn't have a single stage below 10 secs, I did manage to shoot a very consistent match. I normally shoot Smoke & Hope, Roundabout & Showdown all under 9 secs so there was easily 4.5 secs there. I did manage to shoot Speed Option in a new personal best time by .37 secs

On the open side, while my overall time was poor I had a few noteworthy individual stages. I shot Showdown, Smoke & Hope & Speed Option all in new personal best times, dropping a full 2.1 secs off my Speed Option previous best. I'm not too concerned with my overall performance as all I've really been ing 3working on in Open is my draw so my inconsistent performance was not too unexpected. Executing 3 individual stage personal bests at a major is a very good indicator as I progress in Open ....

Overall, I was very happy with my performance, particularily factoring in that I was a sponsor of the event & had a booth setup all 3 days which I manned on Fri & then left out liturature for on my shooting days.

My rimfire squad started the match on pendulum & given my last name I'm always last in the shooting order for stage one so I figured I had time to get mentally prepped ... they read off the shooting order & my name is called as the first shooter ... yikes! Well, I grap my stuff & head to the box, totally calm, knowing that I own this stage. I then proceed to shoot the first 4 strings 20/20 & on the last string I had an uncalled miss on plate 1. Walking off that stage I knew I was going to have a good match as I felt totally calm, realizing that my changes to my mental program had worked and I was simply focused on executing and nothing else ... a very cool feeling ...

My next major is the Mississippi State Championship the 1st weekend in Nov. I'll only be shooting rimfire in that match as I need to be back in town Saturday afternoon for a large fundraiser at the Brevard Zoo where I work on the volunteer staff. Should be fun ...

Edited by Nimitz

Thx! The after affects of posting my first win at a major will be/are huge for me ... it's the final piece that ties everything together between doing well in training, locals & now a major. I no longer need to be concerned about IF I can do well, only with HOW well I can do. there still is a long road ahead but I'm definitely on a different path now ...

I hate that I had to withdraw from the match at the last minute :(. I really wanted to shoot it. Regarding Open have you changed anything regarding gear position? I know we talked about holster placement in another thread but I don't know if you made any changes.

Zack:

I've modified my holster position slightly, bringing a little farther forward and I've also moved the holster up and slightly farther away from my body

Stick: I still train there 3 times/week plus I'm now the Steel Challenge match director. I shoot an 8-stage Steel Challenge match at Volusia now on the 2nd Sat so I haven't shot a USPSA match in a while.

Are you still shooting regularly? You need to come to my SC match .... next match is this Saturday. We're usually done by noon. You can register on Practiscore.com ....

Edited by Nimitz

Zack:

I've modified my holster position slightly, bringing a little farther forward and I've also moved the holster up and slightly farther away from my body

Stick: I still train there 3 times/week plus I'm now the Steel Challenge match director. I shoot an 8-stage Steel Challenge match at Volusia now on the 2nd Sat so I haven't shot a USPSA match in a while.

Are you still shooting regularly? You need to come to my SC match .... next match is this Saturday. We're usually done by noon. You can register on Practiscore.com ....

Ken,

Thanks for rhe invite but I'm working this weekend. I'm shoot the Malabar 2 gun match there and I shoot 3gun at Universal Shooting Academy. I haven't shot USPSA in a long time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

understood. One of these days I need to get to the 2-gun match if I can ever find some reasonably priced 223 ..... you should come out & shoot Steel Challenge sometime when your schedule permits ....

Edited by Nimitz

Shot my monthly club match today that I'm MD for. Ended up HOA for both the rimfire & main match, but the important part was putting up new personal bests overall match times in both matches. On the rimfire side I had new personal best stage times for both Roundabout & Speed Option. If it were not for eating a penalty on Accelerator I would have also posted my first sub 60 sec 6-stage match time but I had to settle for a 62.26. I also posted my first sub 8 sec Roundabout time (7.90 secs) & a 10.87 on Speed Option. Both of those represent 101% on the upcoming rimfire classification system. My overall 'pending' classification using the 6 stages currently used in center fire is now at 94.2%. My shooting efficiency was 165 rds needed for the 150 rd match or right at 90%.

In centerfire I had new personal best stages on Smoke & Hope and Accelerator. When the classification system runs tonight I'll now be only 2.06 secs away from A class (87.04 secs).

Beginning this week I will start to work on my new rimfire shooting order for Showdown since at the PA Championship I discovered we have been doing Showdown & Outer Limits wrong WRT rimfire starting flags. The rules clearly state that for stages with multiple shooting boxes there is only one flag in the center of the stage. We had always been putting 2 out (I looked at my rules and it was the 2009 set). It won't change how I shoot Outer Limits but it will be a huge change on Showdown where I'll end up shooting the stage in the reverse order that I do now ... I'll probably experiment a little but I need to settle on something pretty quick with Mississippi only a month away.

Edited by Nimitz

looks like the PA State Championship has not been posted yet on the SC website so my 15.49 Speed Option run has not been recorded yet but that will drop me another 2.1 secs once it does update .... I'm slowly getting my open scores to catch up with my rimfire scores ...

For today's live fire session I spent it working on a new rimfire shooting order for Showdown, based on only 1 flag in the center of the array per the 2013 rulebook. Although I had quite a few more misses than I normally do I'm getting comfortable with a new shooting order. I spent most of the session shooting 1,2,4,5,S in the right box & 5,4,2,1,S from the left box. I briefly toyed with 1,2,5,4,S transitioning from one 25yd target to other but I didn't like the longer transition & opted to go back to simply shooting it straight across as I had been doing before, just now I'm shooting in the reverse order. I'll probably still start out in the right box, shoot 3 strings & then shoot 2 from the left box.

I had a dead battery in my PACT so I couldn't really work on my first shot or transition speeds so I just shoot the whole session in Accuracy mode. After I get a bunch more dry fire in I'll revert back to my normal training mode the next time I shoot Showdown. I finished the session doing 60 "draws +1" drill with my open gun.

tonight will be more Showdown dryfire & then 5 To Go is on tap for Wed's live session ...

I thought one of the other new changes was (apart from the single flag thing) that you now must shoot 2 from each box in showdown then choose your 3rd box?

It's kind of dunce as of course then you can just start in your least favourite box. shoot 2, go to the other box shoot 2, then say, yeah I'll shoot my 5th from here thus not having to move. but it does take away the option to shoot 2, then if feeling good just shoot a third from whichever you chose as your first box. I'm sure you've forgotten more about SC than I know but it might be worth just checking up on that one if you're planning to shoot 3 then 2.. :)

I thought one of the other new changes was (apart from the single flag thing) that you now must shoot 2 from each box in showdown then choose your 3rd box?

It's kind of dunce as of course then you can just start in your least favourite box. shoot 2, go to the other box shoot 2, then say, yeah I'll shoot my 5th from here thus not having to move. but it does take away the option to shoot 2, then if feeling good just shoot a third from whichever you chose as your first box. I'm sure you've forgotten more about SC than I know but it might be worth just checking up on that one if you're planning to shoot 3 then 2.. :)

I'll have to check the rules but at PA it was: shoot 2 or 3 in one box then shoot 3 or 2. There was no shoot 2, move, shoot 2 then decide. I've actually never shot a match where it was doe that way although I haven't been to a ton of different ranges. I agree about the flag thing as now I shoot the stage 2 different ways depending on which gun I'm using ....

As planned, today's live fire session focused on 5 To Go. My cold match stage run was a 10.32. 9 more runs were done in Accuracy Mode with an average time of 2.58 secs. Switching to Speed Mode my 1st run was a 5/5 at 2.16 secs & the 2nd run was also 5/5 at 2.09 secs. I did 7 more runs with an overall average of 2.12 secs. I had 2 more 5/5 runs for a total of 4 of the 9 strings. At this average time I'm plenty fast enough so I just need to continue to work the accuracy. I finished the rimfire training in Shot Calling Mode with an average time of 2.49 secs. Before switching to open I did 6 reps of a first shot/2nd shot drill & my ave time for the first 2 shots was .98 secs. I've decided to only track the time for the 1st 2 shots when I do these drills vice the 1st shot or draw times since what's important is my overall time including transitions.

I then switched to my open gun & did a couple of complete strings, ave time was 3.67 secs & then did 60 'draw + 1' drills. Average time for the 1st 2 shots was 1.93 secs. I had several additional reps were I didn't record the time becuase I missed one of the plates. For each of these it was the same issue - weak hand grip. When I grip with my weak hand correctly I basically never miss. when I get a little sloppy or lose focus for a second I usually get into trouble if the target is 15 yds or beyond. I need to keep diligent on my grip as all my other mechanics are subconscious at this point ...

Not sure I'm going to be able to get out on Fri to train but assuming I do, Outer Limits is on tap for that session ...

Edited by Nimitz