Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

I only bring up the showdown thing as that's what guys where saying at the steel challenge match I shot recently. that the 'new' rule is that you shoot 2 in each then chose your 5th. I just took this from the SC website and it does appear to be that way in the rules. Basically shoot 2 in each then chose for the 5th run (not for the 3rd).

"All courses of fire will be fired from a single shooting box with the exceptions of Outer Limits and Showdown, which will each have more than one shooting box. Showdown will have two 3’x 3’ shooting boxes and two runs will be shot from one shooting box and two from the other. The competitor may choose from either box to shoot their fifth and final run. There is NO movement between boxes during this course of fire."

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right on showdown you have to shoot 2 move and then shoot 2 or 3 depending on if you want to shoot your final string from the second box. I've been at club matches where folks will shoot 3 and then move which technically is a rule violation.

ok, so which rulebook are we talking about? The 2013 (Provisional rules) or has another set of provisional rules come out? I don't remember seeing this in the 2013 rules but I also didn't remember seeing the rule about 1 flag in the center of the array for Outer Limits & Showdown & that is clearly in there ....

probably won't make a huge difference since you're right, what I'll do is start in the box I don't like first, shoot 2 & then finish in the other box, just choosing to stay right where I am .... since I have to change the way I shoot this stage anyway, might as well make all the changes as once ... we'll see what they do in Mississippi in early Nov ....

just found it at the end of Appendix E1 ..... guess I'll have o make that change at our next match as well .... it's interesting that at Pennsylvania they didn't do that. I know there was some talk about it but the RM said we could shoot 3 from one box then move & shoot 2 ....

just found it at the end of Appendix E1 ..... guess I'll have o make that change at our next match as well .... it's interesting that at Pennsylvania they didn't do that. I know there was some talk about it but the RM said we could shoot 3 from one box then move & shoot 2 ....

Interesting. It was my understanding from emails I received prior to the match that they were going to run it 100% by the book. For SC State part of the stage briefing will be that you have to shoot 2 and then move. If you know you want to shoot 3 from a specific box then start in the opposite box.

yeah, not sure what happened but the rule seems pretty clear to me ... just like the rimfire flag placement rule once you see it .... it would be nice if we could get an approved rulebook since the current provisional one is 2 years old ..... I've also heard rumors they are going to remove allowing your finger inside the trigger guard for rimfire but who knows .... kinda hope they leave that one as is ....

Edited by Nimitz

Today was Outer Limits day to work on speeding up my movement & practicing first shots using only one center rimfire flag. With only one flag in the center the first shot has a very wide transition, easily the widest first shot of all 8 stages. It took a little getting used to having to wait to get the gun on target but my times were actually faster than they have ever been in training so obviously the position has no effect on m shooting ... I setup the video camera so I can analyse my foorwork to see wher I can pick up more time but haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Cold stage run to start the session was a 13.3 secs which I then followed up with 10 more reps in accuracy mode. Ave tine for ak=ll runs was 4.14 secs which is about .3 secs faster than I've done in training in the past. I also had 2 sub 4 sec runs which is a first for me as well.

I switched to speed mode where I ran 15 reps with an average time of 3.32 secs. I had one 5/5 run at 3.64 secs with most other runs 3/5 & a few 4/5. Most of my misses where on plates 1 & 2 which was a little surprizing to me. One thing I'll need to get fixed is my footwork as I start to push the speed as I had a tendency to exit the left box by executing a cross-over step with my left foot which is very slow as it adds at least one extra step, never mind getting a late start as well. I also tended to enter the center box standing pretty much straight up which meant I was having to wait for the gun to settle before taking the entry shot. On the plus side, an average time of 3.32 secs means i don't need to really push for any more speed at the moment. I can now focus on just bringing up my accuracy while shooting at that speed. It also didn't feel like I was going that much faster which is a good thing.

On tap for Wed is Pendulum.

I had the same thing at the match I shot a few months back. was supposed to be run to the 'new' rules and they did have the single flag on OL but depending on who was the RO on particular squads for SD I think some shot it the 'old' way and some shot 2 and 2 then picked their 3rd as per the new way.

I hope they don't change the finger in trigger guard rule on rimfire too. It would be a learning curve for me as I start finger on trigger. I figure if you are not AD'ing then it's fine.

couple of things .... the rule is "finger off the trigger" but inside the trigger guard is allowed. Your finger cannot be touching the trigger under current rules. Be careful with that if you go to a Major ...

Did you have 2 or 1 flag on Showdown?

I think if they ever approve a new set of rules that would go a long way since right now lots of people just assume they know the rules since they looked at them 2-3 years ago ... :)

through various excerpts of baffoonery I was not able to do any live training until yesterday from last Wed ....

For yesterday's session I did Pendulum training. Started as usual with a simulated cold stage run and put doen a 9.92 sec stage which was a greatr start. Followed that up with a total of 13 runs in Accuacy Mode with an overall ave time of 2.47 secs. All the dedicated transition training I've been doing is starting to show itself in stage times as I'm now pretty consistently at or below 2.5 secs/run. Switching to Speed Mode I averaged 1.99 secs/run with half the runs going 4/5 on the plates. This represents another .1 sec drop/run which is a good place to be for this stage. Finishing up in Shot calling mode my average run time was 2.36 secs. As long as my eyes stay ahead of the gun I'm able to lay down some pretty impressive times. When I don't execute this correctly is where I see my times jump and/or have M/U shots ....

This morning I setup Showndown as I still need more live fire time with my new shooting order. Cold stage run was only 9.19 secs but that was due to a single 2.68 sec run. I then proceeded to shoot the stage like I would in a match, in groups of 5 strings; starting with 2 from the left box & then 3 from the right. Shooting in this manner my stage times were: 7.92, 8.08, 8.29 & 8.01 secs. Of the 20 individual strings, 6 were sub 2 sec runs as well. First shot time was right around .65 secs. I still need to spend more dryfifre time with this stage as there was still too much inconsistency even though most of my stage times were better than in the past ....

After this week for the last week in Oct & 1st week of Nov I'm going to have to get creative with my live training as our AA will be closed the last week in Oct for a big IDPA match & then the following week they will be breaking down the bays just before I leave for Mississippi. If they don't start setup until Monday the 26th, hopefully I can talk the MD into letting me train that morning from 8-9am. That would only leave Wed & Fri to figure out where to shoot. Then the following week I was planning to train that Mon-Wed before leaving on Thurs but I suspect most of the bays will still be setup, particularily that Mon morning so I'll need to figure out a way to setup around whatever's in the bay. I'll need to take a look at my planned rotation for which stages I was training on what days & maybe make adjustments .... I'll still be dryfiring 2 stages every night which should help offset the livefire some ....

Edited by Nimitz

this morning was a rather fun training session, fun because of how well I was shooting. the last time I shot Roundabout was on 3 Oct so it was time to get some training in on it. My cold stage run was 8.19 secs which turned out to be a good omen for the session. Followed that up with 9 more runs in Accuracry Mode. Ave for all 14 runs was 1.93 secs with only 2 runs above 2 secs. Switching to Speed Mode is where the fun began ... first run was a 5/5 1.57 sec run followed immediately by a 1.56 sec 5/5 run. 3rd run was a 4/5 1.62 followed by another 5/5 run at 1.62 secs. Had one more 4/5 run at 1.66 secs and my average for all the runs was 1.62 secs. I'm clearly able to see faster than I have in the past as my times continue to come down. I credit part of this to switching my dry fire routine up somewhat. I used to start a session at my last match pace par time & then work down by .1 or .2. Now what I do is after running a few reps at my last match time I crank down the par time to my goal times and just push to get as close as I can to it each time. At the end of the session I go back to .1 below my last match time and finish up. It's kinda a super Speed Mode method of training and allows me to feel what it's@ like to run the gun at my goal speeds so I get used to that. By comparision, my current match speeds are easy to execute ... on tap for Friday is Accelerator.

that's correct. No there are no make-up shots in Speed Mode .... Speed Mode is about making massive speed gains .... accuracy is not judged in Speed Mode. However, you can note your accuracy as long as you've learned how not to judge it. Initially I didn't do that but as I started to get more 5/5 & 4/5 runs I began to note them just for the record but that's it. It takes a lot of discipline to not judge a run but it can be done. If after a run you do or say anything other then look at your time then you're not ready to note your accuracy in SM & you're doing your self-image more harm then good .... You'll notice that I don't talk about how many hits were made on the other SM runs & that's because I literally don't remember because I'm not concerned about that while in SM ..... hope this helps

Edited by Nimitz

This morning Accelerator was on tap ..... for my cold stage run I had to eat a penalty so i could only manage a 12.9 sec stage time. I took a deep breath, got re-focused and shoot 10 more runs in Accuracy mode. Overall average was only 2.74 secs due to the penalty. Switching to Speed Mode I was able to push my ave time down to 1.97 secs. I did 7 runs total with the 2nd , 3rd & 6th runs being 5/5 at 1.92, 2.05 & 1.9 secs respectively. 3 of the other runs were all 4/5. Ave 1st shot time to plate #1 was .51 secs. I finished up in Shot Calling mode with a stage time of 8.93 secs which I believe is my first sub 9 sec run for Accelerator ...

I'm really glad I decided to try & go back to the original way I learned to shoot the stage. I'm easily .5 secs faster per run using this order.

Dryfire session this afternoon was Outer Limits as i wanted to gets some more practice in with the long 1st shot transition using only one flag in the center of the array. Started out with a par time of 3.9 secs & eventually pushing that to 3.5 secs before calling it a day. Oct 12 was the last time I shot this live and my Speed Mode ave was 3.32 secs so dry firing at around 3.5 secs is a good spot for now. The biggest thing for me on this stage is to remember to stay low as I enter the center box which keeps the dot stable & allows me to shoot #4 as I enter the box before my left foot is even planted. Without doing that it is basically impossible to do a sub 4 sec run ...

Edited by Nimitz

• 3 weeks later...

Over this weekend I shot the Mississippi Steel Challenge State Championship. Due to some personal commitments I just shot in the rimfire match as I had to be home by Saturday. In the rimfire pistol match I finished 3rd behind Max Michel & Ron Oliver (who I was squadded with). Obviously since nether Max or Ron is anywhere near a 'Senior' I won the senior title even though they didn't breakout any categories in their results. Looking at the overall combined results, for 96 competitors, across all 9 divisions, I finished 7th behind Max (RFPO, Open & Production) & Ron (RFRO & RFPO) & a competitor shooting RFRO who finished .18 secs ahead of me.

Overall it was a descent match despite having some trouble right out of the gate on the first stage (Outer Limits) which I shot a good 3 secs slower than my match average. Also, on the next to last stage, Speed Option, I ate a penalty on my first run which required me to shoot a little more defensively than normal since I couldn't afford a 2nd penalty but I focused & shot 4 solid strings. I also set new personal best stage times for Smoke & Hope (8.10) & Showdown (8.43). Across those 2 stages I had 4 sub 2 sec runs, including a 1.76 on Showdown. Overall I was a little over 5 secs off my personal best match time, mostly due to my Outer Limits stage. My 'theoretical' rimfire classification is now at 94.36%.

Given my poor performance on the very first stage I was very happy with my ability to put that behind me and just focus on shooting like I know how. Not too long ago a bad first stage would have guaranteed a poor match for me but my focus on my mental toughness program is definitely paying off.

As usual after a major, I'll be taking off all this week to decompress & get ready to start focused training again. I don't have any more majors this year. My next one will be the Georgia Steel Challenge State Championship in Feb & then the US Steel Nationals in March ...

Mostly confirmation that what I'm already doing is on the right track ... I now shoot every stage the same way he does. He really likes my dry fire training system so we're going to be talking more about that after he gets through with the WSSC. Nice to know the best Steel Challenge shooter in the world thinks I have a great training system ... The good shooters have always "got it" when it comes to my banners ...

The MS scores are now posted on the SCSA website so it looks like it's official ..... I'm the fastest old guy with a pistol in both Pennsylvania and Mississippi .... :)

Edited by Nimitz

The MS scores are now posted on the SCSA website so it looks like it's official ..... I'm the fastest old guy with a pistol in both Pennsylvania and Mississippi .... :)

If you would have shot SC State with that same time you would have been high senior there as well.

well done. :) That is a fantastic result given the difficulties. :)

Question on max. How does he shoot roundabout these days? I saw an old vid of him shooting (using your number system, I think).

5,4,1,2,S

Most other guys seem to start on 1. I also shoot it 5412S as I feel I can get a quick/easy draw on that front right plate, transition to the back right, back left and then back left, front left and stop all line up nicely. even at my SC noob level I'm hitting .20 transition from 2 to S. I feel first shot for me is faster this way. Second shot and the transition to 1 are a little slow but from 1 to S I make back a lot of time.

Would love to hear your thoughts on roundabout. :)