Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

saw my hand surgeon today for my 12 week follow-up on my surgery. he gave me the green light for unrestricted activty .... yeah ....

also said there was nothing wrong with my left thumb tendons, most likely the pain I was experiencing was due to some scar tissue that was a result of the surgery to remove the bullet fragment in that thumb. He wanted me to start using a vibrator to start working on the scar tissue.

my biggest challenge in the short tearm will be to try and not makeup for no shooting over the last 12 weeks in the next 2 weeks ... :)

I plan to start dry firing over the weekend and then start live fire training on Monday

That is great news. Good to hear things are healed up.

However, the combination of your thumb rehab description and my juvenile mind has left me with a mental image that will be hard to get rid of.

Perhaps you should just call it a "rehabilitation device".[emoji2]

Edited by ToddKS

That is great news. Good to hear things are healed up.

However, the combination of your thumb rehab description and my juvenile mind has left me with a mental image that will be hard to get rid of.

Perhaps you should just call it a "rehabilitation device".[emoji2]

how about if I post a picture? would that help you ... :)

one thing is for sure, if you stick with your training you will see results ... there will be many setbacks along the way but if you have the mental toughness to not give up you'l succeed. One of the first things Mike Seeklander told me when I started to train with him was that most shooters never make it to A class not because they don't have the ability but because they get frustrated and give up .... never give up, never surrender!

dude, you're quite a few surgeries behind .... :)

I've had so many operations they all seem to run together .... it was back in Nov when a 4mm bullet fragment off a plate rack got lodged in top of my left thumb & required surgery to remove it ... I'm old but still pretty tough ....

He wanted me to start using a vibrator to start working on the scar tissue.

Conversation when Nimitz got home:

Mrs. Nimitz: What's in the bag.

Nimitz: Takes out the vibrator

Mrs. Nimitz: Oh you naughty boy!

Nimitz: Doctor's orders...

:)

ETA: Glad to hear you got the all clear. Looking forward to shooting with you in September.

Edited by ZackJones

Conversation when Nimitz got home:Mrs. Nimitz: What's in the bag.Nimitz: Takes out the vibratorMrs. Nimitz: Oh you naughty boy!Nimitz: Doctor's orders... :)ETA: Glad to hear you got the all clear. Looking forward to shooting with you in September.

hmmmm .... pretty sure she had one long before my first surgery .... and this is actually #8 ...... :)

Edited by Nimitz

dude, you're quite a few surgeries behind .... :)

I've had so many operations they all seem to run together .... it was back in Nov when a 4mm bullet fragment off a plate rack got lodged in top of my left thumb & required surgery to remove it ... I'm old but still pretty tough ....

Shit! That is nasty mate. Sorry to hear it. I had a decent nick from a fragment to the neck but it was only superficial and nothing stuck!

I was shooting (poorly) steel challenge today with an Aussie shooter (Damien Curtis), he recently won the briley west coast steel match (RFPO and 3 gun) and came 3rd in RFPO at the world SC match (15th in open). he's also lovely guy who was super patient in a squad of amateurs. But I mention it as I asked him about dry fire (he does shitloads) and I asked if he knew of your dry fire banners (he does, said he thought they were a great idea and had thought about buying a set).

So news is traveling. :)

It was also fantastic to watch him shoot. Smoke and hope in 1.41 is not something I've seen in person till today. :) it's a blur...

Conversation when Nimitz got home:Mrs. Nimitz: What's in the bag.Nimitz: Takes out the vibratorMrs. Nimitz: Oh you naughty boy!Nimitz: Doctor's orders... :)ETA: Glad to hear you got the all clear. Looking forward to shooting with you in September.
hmmmm .... pretty sure she had one long before my first surgery .... and this is actually #8 ...... :)

Surgey #8 or the 8th......?

#8 .....

1984 L shoulder

1994 procreation stoppage

1998 L index finger

2012 L eye (3 times) (I still have the 1 week post surgery pictures for anyone interested ...)

2014 L thumb

2015 L wrist

hmmmm ...... you wouldn't know it but I'm actually right handed ... are we having fun yet?

that's cool to hear. We've sponsored the PA State Steel Challenge Championship Series this year & I'll be shooting the Championship in Sept along with a booth there so I'll be interested to hear some feedback. Anyone who is serious about getting better knows that dry fire is the key .... it trumps all other training activities combined. For Steel Challenge it is even hugher ... :) since the stages never change. I've also recently added a couple of other banners to my training regime but but haven't made them available to sell yet .... gotta keep having some edge if they really take off .... :)

I actually thought long & hard about whether I wanted to go public with them before I accomplished something significant..... but in the end, just like the reason Steve Anderson wrote his first book, my interest in money finally won out ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

I haven't really been paying attention to how far I've come until a local match the week after the Nationals ...... I took HOA & 2nd place was 31.2 secs behind me .... :)

with all my down time I've completely revamped my training program and set some different goals. I've also eliminated any tracking of how I'm doing versus some top shooters. I finally realized this was having me focus on results every day .... really a bad idea. So now I'm just going to be focusing on how I'm doing against my personal goals & not the "ok, I'm now just .XX secs behind Billy Bob who won my category at the Nationals ..." which is what I was doing.

Toward that end my new current macro short-term goal is to be sub 60 secs for a 6-stage match by the end of the year. Right now I'm averaging right around 64-65 secs so that should be doable ... I've also set specific ave string time goals for each stage based on how well I'm currently shooting that stage. Using the new rimfire classification as a common standard to work from I see that my individual stage classifications are as follows:

5 To Go: 97.3%

Roundabout: 94%

Showdown: 93.5%

Speed Option: 92.7%

Pendulum: 92%

Smoke & Hope: 90.5%

Accelerator: 89.3%

Outer Limits: 79%

So immediately one would say I should be spending a lot of time on Outer Limits, followed by Accelerator & S&H.

Well, to a point I would agree but I also need to factor in if there is a significant difference in my training performance vs match performance on a stage & that's where things get a little interesting. Right before nationals I spent a lot of time on Outer Limits because I literally had not shot it in the previous 8 months and my times were much better, right around 4.1 secs/run. for Accelerator I've been very inconsistent, partly due to changing how I shoot it & still not being sure if it's the best. With S&H I'm sitting right at the 2.05 sec/run mark which while is only at 90% I'm not sure how much value there is in shaving a few tenths off that when looking at where I am on the other stages.

So, looking at all that together, my initial training priorities will be Outer Limits, Accelerator & probably Pendulum since I think my biggest gains can come on these stages. Once my match performance is a consistent sub 60 sec I'll then start to look at all stages again for where the next set of gains can come from.

As far as specific technique goes I'll be putting a lot more emphasis on very aggressive first shots. I've set some very stiff first shot dry fire times and work to be transitioning to the 2nd target when the 2nd beep goes off. In reviewing past video I usually look pretty lazy on the buzzer & first shot times around .8 are the result - not too surprising. same goes for my open gun .... I'll constantly be reminding myself of something Brian said in his book about a comment a top shooter made to him at his first Steel Challenge Championship " .... boy, you're pretty fast once you get that thing out of your holster but your draw sucks ...." I think I resemble that remark .... :)

Edited by Nimitz

Completed my first dry fire session today. Did about 45 mins with my RFPO gun, took a short break to make some more ammo & then did another 45 mins with my open gun. Decided to train without a timer so that I could focus on technique since I haven't handled the guns in 12 weeks. With my RFPO I decided to try out starting with my finger inside the trigger guard and it actually felt faster. I'm looking forward to putting this to the test with a timer and then live on Monday to see if there is any real improvements to be had. Did a series of full-stage reps of Roundabout and then switched to my 5-target transition drills and finished with some 1st shot reps. With my open gun it was pretty much the same routine, doing full stage runs, 2-shot draws and then finishing with 5-target transitions.

Absolutely no issues with my wrist. the thumb feels a little sore afterwards but that may also be due to my new 3-4 time/day regiment of vibrator use .... I iced down the thumb after the session which helped a lot as well. Tomorrow will be a similar session and I'll probably add the timer back in for at least some of the drills and then my first live fire session will be on Monday ....

Got out Monday for my first training session in 12 weeks. didn't really set any expectations and decided to setup Roundabout and just shoot it to see where I was. Not really a very organized session but I planned it that way. Shot about 25 reps of RFPO with most 5/5 runs in the 2.25 to 2.35 sec range. 12 weeks ago I was in the 2.05/2.1 sec range so I have a little catching up to do. Also brought my open gun and about 25 rds, no holster, just see what shooting 9mm would feel like. Runs averaged about 2.-.3 secs slower than RFPO which isn't too surprising. Overall I was happy just to be able to get out and shoot ...

This morning I setup a draw to first shot & transition drill --- 5 10" plates spaced about 6' apart at 15 yds. Wasn't bale to shoot my RFPO gun as the front screw on my C-more had come off ... need to figure out what's going on here. This screw coming loose has been happening since March even though I use locktite ....

Did about 10 reps of the transition drill, each rep consisted of shooting the plates in the following order: 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 (8 rds) then reverse the order for the next rep. I'm getting more consistent at getting my eyes snapped to the next target before moving the gun, particularly on the wide transitions of 1-4 & 1-5. Then did 35 draws with an ave draw time to the 10" plate at 15 yds of 1.60 secs. basically were I was before I stopped shooting so again not a lot of catch up to do.

Friday, I'll need to check zero on each gun and then the plan for the session is to practice Outer Limits exits & entries using some of the techniques Rob showed me the last time I shoot ( 13 Apr) before my surgery. This is one area where I think I can be making major gains in a short amount of time ...

Friday, I'll need to check zero on each gun and then the plan for the session is to practice Outer Limits exits & entries using some of the techniques Rob showed me the last time I shoot ( 13 Apr) before my surgery. This is one area where I think I can be making major gains in a short amount of time ...

Feel free to share your knowledge on Outer Limits as we plan on shooting it and speed option this weekend.

I'm only a SC noob. but I do start with my finger in the trigger guard (on the trigger actually). I thing it's faster. you just need to be sure not to jerk an AD given my RFPO pistol trigger is now at 2lb.

I actually got a bit of coaching on outer limits too from one of my new shooting hero's, Damien Curtis.

He broke me out of one particular bad habit which was breaking my grip between boxes. I'm so used to in IPSC reloading as soon as I move positions so just natural as soon as I'm stepping out of the box I'm moving my weak hand down to my belt, then back up in the new box. Much faster keeping it on the gun or at least very close.

It was one of my better stages the next day when I shot it in RFPO. :)

little things can make a big difference in OL ... be careful with where your finger is because you are not allowed to be touching the trigger. The rule says "off the trigger" at the start. Not sure you'll get a DQ but the RO shouldn't start you if he sees your finger is touching the trigger ....

ended up with an abbreviated session this morning due to what I think is a broken firing pin on my Buckmark ... MGW sells a complete recoil spring housing mechanism which includes new FP & spring for $15 so I just bought on of them. Hopefully it arrives in time for next Saturday's match. Next week I'll just shoot centerfire for live fire training and that will have to do ....

worked on new footwork for Outer limits, trying the JJ technique of starting in the lower RH corner of the box & moving to the front LH corner. My transition times doing this averaged around 2.28s secs & eventually got to the 1.98 -2.05 range once I got my footwork worked out. I need to be more aggressive in my initial movement after plate #2 but I also need to get lower which will help with when I can take the shoot on plate #4. I was having to wait a long time for the dot to settle as I got into the box because I was standing up as I was moving .... getting low is a big deal for being able to shoot on the move which is essentially what this technique is

Also did some micro drills of just the 1st 2 plates & then move. Ave time was around 1.25 secs with a few runs in the sub 1.1 sec range. first cold run of the session was 4.71 sec run which is just a few tenths slower then where I was before so that was good to see ...

I'll keep hitting the dryfire hard with the RFPO gun this week while I wait for the parts so hopefully I'll be able to maintain until I can shoot it again on Friday. Too bad my SW41 is not up and running yet although this is a great lesson for why I'll have a B/U gun ....

On the menu for this morning's training session was 5 To Go. My new training plan for the next 3 months is to alternate weeks where the first week I shoot 2 different stages during the week and the 2nd week I shoot a combination of pure transition drills & draw/first shot drills & then back to shooting stages for a week.

I picked 5 To Go since I need to nail down what shooting order I want to use and after watching several on the super squad shoot it 4,3,2,1, stop I wanted to see what that could do for me. I've been looking at how I shoot each stage with a focus on selecting an order which allows me to accelerate through the stgae & not slow down toward the end. 5 To Go is one of those where if you shoot it 1,2,3,4 stop like most do you're continually slowing down since the targets get farther away.

Based on just today's results alone I think I'll be using this new order. While it requires me to draw to a 10" 18 yd target it forces me to not get lazy on that target as its the first one and allows me to accelerate as I go. While my ave draw time was only around 1.8 secs, my ave stage time was 4.2 secs. Given how little time I actually have with my open gun ( 2 matches) I'll take this as a good baseline to work from.

Couldn't do any rimfire work as I'm still waiting for my new recoil assembly but at least I can still dry fire at night. Saturday will be my first match since April so I'm looking forward to being able to compete again

Edited by Nimitz

Interesting idea on 5 to Go. I don't think that I would personally trade the close first shot and smaller transitions for a farther first shot and a big transition to the stop plate. It would not play to my strengths. I am interested to hear how this works for you, particularly the trade off on the splits.

I've tried shooting 5 To Go in both directions and I'm faster shooting it near to far. I managed a stage win on it in Rimfire Pistol this past weekend.

I know you're faster than I am in rimfire but if you want something to compare against my stage winning time was 12.90 and my string times were 3.23, 3.11, 3.79, and 2.77.