Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new Shotgun, M2, VersaMax or Vinci?

Cap

You are 100% correct. Jess Briley has been a friend of mine for fifteen years. His operation in Houston is really top of the line state of the art. Jess builds a lot of companies chokes for them. CDNN does have chokes made by Briley for the Versa Max.

WFIW :cheers:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the VersaMax, what needs to be done yo at and what should I expect to pay?

I bought the 26" VM for about $1050, then added a Carbon Arms one piece tube for about $230 (worth every penny). C-rums welded the lifter for like $45 plus shipping, and I opened the loading port, chamfered the extractor cutout/ right side of the chamber, and filed the crap out of the forend myself to make it easier to load fast. I also swapped out the hammer for a Benelli M2 hammer, because the Remington hammer is made out of some junk pot metal and the impact surface was mushrooming after a few hundred rounds. I think that was about $30 and was easy enough to swap out myself. The spring that gives the lifter tension was also much stiffer than my M2, so I swapped that out for the Benelli spring to make it easier to push the lifter up to reload. So I guess I'm under $1400 total, and very happy with the way it turned out. I used MarkCO's thread he referenced earlier as a guide for the loading port and forend.

There is good reason why the Benelli dominates the 3 gun scene. Reliability! That being said if you can't afford the best the rest will work most of the time.

I agree with this, and would never discourage anyone from shooting an M2. For me, it comes down to do I want the easiest loading, softest recoiling shotgun that is heavy as shit (VM), or the lightest, best quality shotgun that is easy enough to load and kicks the hell out of me. I truly love both the VM and the M2, and would compete with either one in a heartbeat. I won't be getting rid of either any time soon.

There is good reason why the Benelli dominates the 3 gun scene. Reliability! That being said if you can't afford the best the rest will work most of the time.

I agree with this, and would never discourage anyone from shooting an M2. For me, it comes down to do I want the easiest loading, softest recoiling shotgun that is heavy as shit (VM), or the lightest, best quality shotgun that is easy enough to load and kicks the hell out of me. I truly love both the VM and the M2, and would compete with either one in a heartbeat. I won't be getting rid of either any time soon.

Katie Harris and Katie Francis shoot Benellis. Sure a gas gun is softer than an inertia gun but once you're on the clock its like saying this .40 is too stout I gotta go to a 9mm. I bought a 20 gauge M2 thinking I was gonna pick up some speed from less recoil. Not so much. It did weigh less than my full dust cover STI Edge though!

Reliability #1

How it fits you #2

#3 anything else you want to add before recoil plays a part.

Recoil #4

Like Ken said we 3 gunners are not high volume shooters.

I will add that the ONLY reason I would consider a VM is light loads. Light loads can equal more speed, but you must have the skill to use it,

otherwise you are just BS'ing and "bench racing"

Reliability #1

How it fits you #2

#3 anything else you want to add before recoil plays a part.

Recoil #4

Like Ken said we 3 gunners are not high volume shooters.

I will add that the ONLY reason I would consider a VM is light loads. Light loads can equal more speed, but you must have the skill to use it,

#2 is exactly why I went Vinci. More than any other shotgun I've ever held, the load landed where I was looking without having to think about it. I love competitive shooting, but I've still fired thousands more rounds at birds than I ever have after a buzzer. This thing just plain knocks stuff down.

I absolutely love the way the Vinci holds and points and I am saving my coins for one of these.

Light loads can equal more speed, but you must have the skill to use it,

I think I fall into this category.

I bought a Vinci this year and shot it back to back with a versamax. The Remington did recoil less but was heavier and did not point as well as the Vinci. The Vinci needs more material removed from the loading port but it is also polymer and easy to work on myself.

Yep Benny you're right,..... But your arrows still need to be good quality arrows.

Also someone said earlier they had to replace the vm hammer because it was crap, ........so they built everything else out of good quality stuff but the hammer is the ONLY soft part in the gun???

Shooters having longevity issues might disagree

But mine's not red and it doesn't have the cool racing fin cut outs at the shoulder:(. Thanks or the load port shot. That's how I have mine masked off now, just was cautious about removing too much material.

Edited by hpnewby