Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Mass Carrier Questions

fishsticks

I been running the same set up for the past 3 years. Tubes spring and rifle buffer that was less than 3 oz. I've been really happy with this the entire time.

I thought I had it all figured out then I tried one of the Jp capured buffers. It changed the whole feel of the gun. That thing is backwards from all of my standard configurations.

Point is, nothing is "standard" with this. Experiment and find what works best for you. The adjustability of the gas, buffer weights and springs are damn near never ending.

Edited by bpipe95

Will I run into any issues using the low mass carrier without the forward assist grooves even though my upper has a forward assist?

Many competition uppers don't have the forward assist. I've run the JP LMOS in my competition rifle (JP-15 upper with assist) for almost 5 years and have had no problems. The things I have seen as an RO are: 1) shooters who have to look into the chamber so see if a shell is in there, sometimes do not get the bolt closed all the way and when the buzzer goes off they start with a gun that won't go bang and 2) shooters that try to force a round in that didn't want to go in the first place make the whole problem worse. I just drop the bolt and I'm ready to play. If you really want the serrations on the bolt carrier, the new RCA (Rubber City Armory) low mass bolt carriers have the serrations on the side and weight taken out of other areas.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I plug the FA hole in all of my uppers. Take 15 seconds to clear a jam, on the clock, if you have not chamber checked or kept up with maintenance, and maybe tank a stage, OR use the FA and tank the whole match.

I'm confused. Will my FA catch on the BCG or something? Do I have to uninstall the FA in order to run it? I never use it, so I don't care either way.

Your FA is spring loaded out of the way of the BCG, no need to remove. If you build an upper off a stripped unit you can plug it to keep dirt and stuff out or install a FA.

Doug

I've played around with lightweight carriers for Decades, probably before many of you were born.

The first lightweight carrier I used was a Smith Enterprises aluminum carrier, they were manufactured to jump the cyclic rate of an M-16 to 1400 rpm. And, it did work for that purpose!

I'm currently running on several of my AR's the J.P. LMOS QPQ Carrier (and will have it on all of them when I can afford them) I also run the Wolff XP Action spring and I do not run an adjustable gas block.

Original Colt M-16 Bolt Carrier

Picture005.jpg

Smith Enterprises Aluminum Carrier

Picture003.jpg

Progressive Machine & Tool Titanium Carrier

DSCF0151.jpg

J.P. Enterprises LMOS QPQ Carrier

Picture004.jpg