Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ competition hammer versus stock Shadow hammer

cpa5oh

Would I be wasting money buying and installing (myself - no gunsmithing other than what might be required to make it fit) the CZ USA competition hammer as opposed to just sticking with the stock Shadow hammer that came with my gun? (I just bought a stock Shadow...didn't have any work done by CZ Custom, though I did buy it through them.)

I've got a CGW Hammer Kit 3 in an 85 combat and it's a little bit nicer than my Shadow's trigger feel...

I've got a CGW Hammer Kit 3 in an 85 combat and it's a little bit nicer than my Shadow's trigger feel...

It sounds like you've answered your own question!

When I first got my TS, I though race hammers were a big waste of money "I shortened and polished the hooks, my trigger is pretty bad ass...". Then I installed the SAO race hammer from CZ USA :goof:

The hammer is heart of a great trigger. I had the race hammer in my Shadow too and it was well worth it (SRT is pretty bad ass too!), highly suggested.

If you are shooting competitively, then yes, by all means, go with Comp hammer. You may not realize or take full advantage of it till you are in mid-upper 'C' class or higher thou.

Factory Shadow hammer is very good as is too. Don't look down on it as if it were 'junk'.

Parts are parts. A good smith lets them come to life. My shadows had good triggers. Stu made them outstanding!! My TS has a comp hamner but its bit as good as it could be. Once I put it away for a little while I'll send them to stu to make them come to life!!

If you are shooting competitively, then yes, by all means, go with Comp hammer. You may not realize or take full advantage of it till you are in mid-upper 'C' class or higher thou.

Factory Shadow hammer is very good as is too. Don't look down on it as if it were 'junk'.

What exactly is the "advantage"?

I was comparing a standard 75B hammer/sear combo to my Shadow Target and there is WAY more sear engagement on the 75b with the hammer hooks. This results in a heavier and crisper trigger than the slap happy light weight mush factory that is on my TS.

the slap happy light weight mush factory that is on my TS.

Really?!? are you using the factory hammer? Which hammer spring. I polished the crap out of everything, run the race hammer with a 20# hammer spring and have a icicle break sub 2# trigger with just over 2mm or travel from stop to stop. With a 15# hammer spring it's like butter with a 1#, 7oz pull.

Ive had a number of 2011 guys get major broners dry firing my TS :goof:

If you've got good fundamentals, I don't think your scores really change at all with your equipment, but isn't more about FEEL? About showing off your bad ass trigger job to your friends? The more I shoot and the better I get, the more I realize the equipment is mostly irrelevant.

I'm a gun nut, I have lots of them and I love to tinker with them all. I love light, crisp triggers with as little travel as possible and I spend lots of time and money to get them, but I know it's not that important, it's just my hobby. For me it's the challenge to have the best trigger anyone who dry fires it has ever felt.

It's just like the elusive 'flat shooting' Open gun. Last time I was at the range, I shot all three of my Open Guns with all seven of my comps, and three different loads and it hit me like a ton of bricks: I'm really splitting hairs here! :blink:

good observation.

there is a period of time in development of shooting skills that equipment is helpful. and they you reach a level where it is technique and application of it, that matters most.

Really?!? are you using the factory hammer? Which hammer spring. I polished the crap out of everything, run the race hammer with a 20# hammer spring and have a icicle break sub 2# trigger with just over 2mm or travel from stop to stop. With a 15# hammer spring it's like butter with a 1#, 7oz pull.

CZ competition hammer as configured on a stock Shadow TS. The only change is an 11.5 lb mainspring versus the "factory" 13.

I have documented my issues with my gun elsewhere on the board so in this case, different strokes for different folks. I like heavier triggers. :)

I'm confused Magsz :blink: are you talking about a DA/SA Shadow? or a TS with a DA/SA Shadow race hammer installed?

in either case, the 11.5# hammer spring is the cause of the mush. Also, the stock spring in my TS was heavier than 13#, more like ~15-16#. If you like heavy triggers, grab the stock hammer spring out of a 75B, it's in the neighborhood of 18-19# and it'll make that hammer snap! :surprise: Hell I've got a whole bag of them, PM me your address and I'll send you one.

ETA: sorry I meant hammer springs

Edited by kneelingatlas

Wait a second!?! I just realized the link is to the SAO hammer which is what I have, but the picture is of the SA/DA hammer you have there...

Are the hooks the same on both? Mine is more of a groove than hooks.

This is the one I have:

cz_saonly_ham_st_lg.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

Trigger pull on my 9mm Tactical Sports with comp hammer and stock springs came in at 570 grams, guess that equals about 1#, 4oz...

Trigger pull on my 9mm Tactical Sports with comp hammer and stock springs came in at 570 grams, guess that equals about 1#, 4oz...

That makes me cringe bud... :)

This is indeed a DA/SA gun and the SA is very light, too light for my personal tastes.

I compared the engagement surface area between the stock CZ75 hammer and the comp hammer and i can see where the difference comes from. The CZ comp hammer barely sits on the sear lol. :)

Are you serious about that offer to send me a factory cz75 hammer Kneeling? I would take you up on that. I was going to order some parts from CZ custom last night but 15 dollars to ship a 20 dollar hammer is absurd. PM inbound.

• 3 months later...

I'm confused Magsz :blink: are you talking about a DA/SA Shadow? or a TS with a DA/SA Shadow race hammer installed?

in either case, the 11.5# hammer spring is the cause of the mush. Also, the stock spring in my TS was heavier than 13#, more like ~15-16#. If you like heavy triggers, grab the stock hammer spring out of a 75B, it's in the neighborhood of 18-19# and it'll make that hammer snap! :surprise: Hell I've got a whole bag of them, PM me your address and I'll send you one.

ETA: sorry I meant hammer springs

I also just installed one of the CZC competition hammers into my 9mm TS along with all the necessary stoning/polishing. The low wide one they offer now. I am running the factory recoil spring which the guy at czc said was 17# or 18# and I'm getting a 1.5# pull. Frankly I'm worried it is a little too light. My SV only comes in at 1.75#. At a match recently I had two shots that turned out fine, but when I went to prep the trigger the shot broke prematurely. I may just have to get used to it more. I must say it is insanely crisp though and reset is stupid awesome short! I couldn't induce any creep when I try.

Do you still have that big bag of factory heavy main springs Kneelingatlas? I may be interested in one.

My GF competes with a Shadow. We dropped in the CGW stuff and left the factory hammer in, with just a bit of Mother's chrome polish and Dremel buffing. Her gun breaks so freaking sweet!

At the Gator Classic this year automatic Accuracy put in the Short Reset for her and they were diggin how clean it was before/after.

I guess it may be hit or miss with some guns, but for us, we left the factory hammer in.

That gun's potential is far better than ours anyway.

If you dont feel like replacing the rear sight as well, just stick with the factory hammer. Its cheaper,and will clean itself up after a couple hundred rounds (at least that was our experience).

Good luck!