Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Prices

Lifeislarge

4 years ago gas was $1.72 a gallon here locally. Drove by this new gas station today and almost pooped my pants. Why the hell we have to pay every time there's "unrest" in the Middle East baffles me. We have enough domestic energy to give the Middle East sleepless nights for decades should we ever decide to tap it. Almost makes me wonder if the Princes are engineering "unrest".

IMG_3156_zpsa937ad59.jpgIMG_3157_zps979af737.jpg

Edited by Lifeislarge

The price really has nothing to do with the ME. That's just one of a long list of excuses Big Oil trots out when they "step" the price of gas. many others: changing to summer blend, changing to winter blend, refinery needs maintenance, increased demand, price of crude, cost of exploration, government taxes, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Anybody who has been around 60 years knows how it works: they jack the price up 100% over whatever it currently is, everybody screams, then they gradually lower it and adjust the new baseline to about $1 higher than the old baseline. The new baselinge is just under $4 now, in a few years it will be $5.

Not sure if the $10 sign you posted is a joke (?) I guess ammo isn't the only thing people gouge on.

Edited by bountyhunter

And just think the Government (state & fed) make more on a gallon than the oil companies.

Good point. I think people might be surprised how much the state/fed gets in gas taxes. That should get people more angry than what the oil companies make!

At least you can get gas. I don't ever want to see signs that say, " NO GAS " ever again. Or gas lines a mile long. Odd even plate BS. I lived through the gas idiocy of the 70's. I shudder remembering them.( insert shuddering emoticon)

At least you can get gas. I don't ever want to see signs that say, " NO GAS " ever again. Or gas lines a mile long. Odd even plate BS. I lived through the gas idiocy of the 70's. I shudder remembering them.( insert shuddering emoticon)

I remember. Getting up at 6AM to be first in line at the station to get my eight gallons. About six cars would get gas then they would lock the pumps again.

I remember in the 70's gas "shortage" that all of the gas was allocated to stations based on where they were in relation to a big city.

We lived on the edge of town in Richmond, Va. and would drive about 10 miles out and go to this little station that literally was SWIMMING in gas because they told him he HAD to take it even though he didn't sell anywhere near that much. We would load up the Van with Jerry cans, drive out and fill up the 42gal tank (My Dad hated to stop for gas on road trips and got the biggest tank they made on it. LOL!) AND the Jerry cans, drive back, put enough gas in the other car to get it there and drive it out and fill it up and the used cans too.

After a little bit other people found him and started buying gas there but he never had the *crazy* lines like there were in town.

I had a buddy that hauled gas in Oklahoma during that shortage. He said he spent more time moving gas into abandoned gas stations and even off into ditches than what was delivered to consumers. so I tend not to believe the oil companies

I remember in the 70's gas "shortage" that all of the gas was allocated to stations based on where they were in relation to a big city.

In the US, gas was allocated based on whether a station was a "company" station or an independent. Big Oil took advantage of that situation to drive the majority of the independents out of business so they could hold the line on price hikes without worry about competition.

We lived on the edge of town in Richmond, Va. and would drive about 10 miles out and go to this little station that literally was SWIMMING in gas because they told him he HAD to take it even though he didn't sell anywhere near that much. We would load up the Van with Jerry cans, drive out and fill up the 42gal tank (My Dad hated to stop for gas on road trips and got the biggest tank they made on it. LOL!) AND the Jerry cans, drive back, put enough gas in the other car to get it there and drive it out and fill it up and the used cans too.

After a little bit other people found him and started buying gas there but he never had the *crazy* lines like there were in town.

yep-and even/odd days to buy based on yer plate number back in kali in the early 70'2.