Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which follower for a JM930?

rtp

Hoping to glean some collective wisdom here.

I've yet to have an issue on my JM930, but am looking at replacing the OE follower based on comments by others at this point.

I've seen the GG&G, along with someone's green or red (ETA?) Delrin, which seems to be fairly long.

Thinking about it, I'd prefer my follower to wear vs the mag tube itself, so it seems like stainless (GG&G) shouldn't be the first choice here.

My JM is a 22", which can 'almost' fit a 9th in the tube, so am considering adding a Nordic XXL cap once/if I can ever locate one in the future. This is another reason giving me some pause on the fairly long aftermarket followers.

Seems like I'm probably looking for a Delrin follower with a short 'tail' for anti-jam/tilt, or am I off entirely here in my thinking?

im running a gg&g and i am very happy with it. considering the mag tube is also SS on the jm i dont see any issues with wear, but a light coating of lube should help matters in there. i get the logic of the delrin follower, but i personally liked the GG&G. i was having an issue with the stock follower when using fiocchi 00 loads because the crimp was very deep on those it would cause the first round to actually hang up on the lip of the lifter and wedge the shell between the top lip of the lifter and the loading port. the gg&g lifter is designed a bit differently and now the fiocchi loads dont get hung up on the lifter so no issues popping the first round in the tube.

The mag tube on the JM may be stainless, but is the Nordic extension - thought it was aluminum, which is why I'm wondering if Delrin might not be a better choice?

Never heard of the Roth one - off to go look. :)

I've yet to have an issue on my JM930, but am looking at replacing the OE follower based on comments by others at this point.

I've seen the GG&G, along with someone's green or red (ETA?) Delrin, which seems to be fairly long.

Thinking about it, I'd prefer my follower to wear vs the mag tube itself, so it seems like stainless (GG&G) shouldn't be the first choice here.

My JM is a 22", which can 'almost' fit a 9th in the tube, so am considering adding a Nordic XXL cap once/if I can ever locate one in the future. This is another reason giving me some pause on the fairly long aftermarket followers.

Seems like I'm probably looking for a Delrin follower with a short 'tail' for anti-jam/tilt, or am I off entirely here in my thinking?

The factory one has been working fine for me, no need to spend money to replace something that already works.

"IF" you ever find the XXL cap it should work fine with the factory follower and spring. (A friend of mine was one on his 22" JM Pro.)

I'm trying to get one of the XXL caps but all Nordic wants to sell is there latest tube design. I was given a Nordic low drag follower and after installing it I could tell the extra length was noticable when loading the tube. I borrowed my friends XXL cap and I couldn't get the extra round in the tube, switched back to factory follower I could. If and when I get the XXL cap I'll cut down the Nordic follower to the same length of the factory one. I do like the "easy to see" reddish color of the Nordic but I sure would not pay $20 just for looks. Mine has red finger nail polish on it for now.

Edited by LikesToShoot

The factory one has been working fine for me, no need to spend money to replace something that already works.

"IF" you ever find the XXL cap it should work fine with the factory follower and spring. (A friend of mine was one on his 22" JM Pro.)

I'm trying to get one of the XXL caps but all Nordic wants to sell is there latest tube design. I was given a Nordic low drag follower and after installing it I could tell the extra length was noticable when loading the tube. I borrowed my friends XXL cap and I couldn't get the extra round in the tube, switched back to factory follower I could. If and when I get the XXL cap I'll cut down the Nordic follower to the same length of the factory one. I do like the "easy to see" reddish color of the Nordic but I sure would not pay $20 just for looks. Mine has red finger nail polish on it for now.

:D on both the nail polish (have some orange here bought solely for that very purpose) and on their new mag tube design..was thinking maybe they're just out of stock and backed up, but have been checking NC for months on an XL or XXL end cap; you'd think they'd have some in by now. Guess you're right on the 'buy our latest mag tube' being much higher priority. Already having a NC 'old design' mag tube on my JM, I'm just not in that much of a hurry to spend $$ to replace a pretty nice 'old design' mag tube. :(

I went ahead and picked up the RCI one mentioned above - seems like it's aluminum so in a 'fight of metals,' it'll lose and not damage the gun's mag tube, at least. For $16, worth trying anyways, and seems like a hollow cup design so hopefully no loss of rounds. I am wondering if it's really a 'required' replacement or not...saw people griping about virtually all followers with NC, GG&G etc. not being an exception...have to wonder if it wasn't mainly down to a lip between the 930 mag tube and extension tubes.

Ah yes, extension.... I couldn't imagine it actually creating any wear especially with a slight touch of lube. There is mild play between the follower and ibside of the tube so I'm thinking is safe.... but plastic (delrin) wouldn't even require thinking abouy it.

I've been using this S&J hardware delrin follower for over a year now and it has worked well. I liked the looks of the Nordic piece but nobody can guarantee whether or not it will fit in a 930....it advertizes as not fitting, so I went with this one. I like it mostly for the orange color signalling "empty"

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&cPath=107_123&products_id=682&osCsid=19fb961a3211f0934a026e9810130a96

Tried the Nordic, but have had issues just hand cycling, so just polished the snot out of the factory one and placed it back in. Did not take the time to try and diagnose problem, just went with reliability for now.

Delrin sounds good, but $14 shipping?

Mark

Have any of you tried fiocchi 00 buck with the stock follower? The lip of the crimp was so long (1/4") that it would catch the top edge of the stock follower, and due to the "nipple" of the stock follower being somewhat deep the first shell going into the tube would get wedged between the front edge of the loading port and the top of the follower. Thats what prompted me to try the ggg. Now, after I would force the first round in all other rounds went in effortlessly.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this ammo.

I have the Nordic in mine. 24" JMP. Zero Issues with factory and Nordic spring. The biggest issue I had was the "dimple" in the end of the factory tube causing drag and snag on the follower. Once that was taken care of, she runs and runs.

I bought the Nordic follower for my 24" JM Pro. It was hanging up and not loading past 4 shells. I tried it in my friends 22" JM and had the same problem. I tried re-assembling, beveling, polishing, and still no go. I even worked with Nordic Comp tech support to work it out (they were awesome to work with), but couldn't figure it out. I have one friend running a 24" JM and hasn't had an issue with it in his. Just as a heads up, the Nordic won't run in every JM. If you want to try the Nordic one, I'll sell you mine for $20 shipped ;).

Have any of you tried fiocchi 00 buck with the stock follower? The lip of the crimp was so long (1/4") that it would catch the top edge of the stock follower, and due to the "nipple" of the stock follower being somewhat deep the first shell going into the tube would get wedged between the front edge of the loading port and the top of the follower. Thats what prompted me to try the ggg. Now, after I would force the first round in all other rounds went in effortlessly.

Ran a bunch of Fiocchi #6 w/out issues, but no Fiocchi buck. I'm staring at a bunch of Rio buck, wondering if I may see the same thing..no crimp, more like a plastic clear 'cap' that makes it look like the rounds are loaded somehow 'in reverse' almost..

I have the Nordic in mine. 24" JMP. Zero Issues with factory and Nordic spring. The biggest issue I had was the "dimple" in the end of the factory tube causing drag and snag on the follower. Once that was taken care of, she runs and runs.

You have a pic of the 'dimple'? Do you mean a lip where the mag tube and extension meet up, or something more?

Doh! I meant rio royal... and yes its not really a crimp but a large lip with clear cap.

Ran a bunch of Fiocchi #6 w/out issues, but no Fiocchi buck. I'm staring at a bunch of Rio buck, wondering if I may see the same thing..no crimp, more like a plastic clear 'cap' that makes it look like the rounds are loaded somehow 'in reverse' almost..

You have a pic of the 'dimple'? Do you mean a lip where the mag tube and extension meet up, or something more?

I do not have a pic unfortunately. Where the extension meets the factory tube, there was a small dimple on the edge. That was the cause of the Nordic not working. I used a ball peen hammer (round side) and lightly tapped it out with a second hammer. This beveled the edge out a little and removed the "dimple" or dent in the edge of the factory tube. After that, zero hangups. I have seen some that were not blatently visible, but were enought to drag on the follower as well. Something to check. Sometimes it is the little things that throw big wrenches at an attempt.

Doh! I meant rio royal... and yes its not really a crimp but a large lip with clear cap.

Give me a week or so. Have a 3 gun match this weekend, but may make it shooting Monday or next weekend and run some of the Rio through it.

I do not have a pic unfortunately. Where the extension meets the factory tube, there was a small dimple on the edge. That was the cause of the Nordic not working. I used a ball peen hammer (round side) and lightly tapped it out with a second hammer. This beveled the edge out a little and removed the "dimple" or dent in the edge of the factory tube. After that, zero hangups. I have seen some that were not blatently visible, but were enought to drag on the follower as well. Something to check. Sometimes it is the little things that throw big wrenches at an attempt.

Interesting - seems like an assembly/QC issue?

Will check mine out carefully on next cleaning, likely this weekend..