Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

czechmate doubts

gianmarko

good morning to all you gentlemen from Switzerland

i just got delivery of a brand new Czechmate. wonderful gun and at over 5k usd not cheap.

needless to say i expect great things from this gun. trigger is fantastic, and all my clubmates were really impressed by the quality and look of the gun

so yesterday i took it out to my club for a test and a small competition.

ammo used was some minor PF reloads that i use in my Shadow, some commercial ammo, and some major reloads i prepared using data from another local CM owner. 6.8 grains of a locally produced powder (i believe similar in burn rate to the N350) behind a 124 grains copper plated RN bullet, clocked at around 1380 fps.

the minor loads produced a few missed ejections that might even be caused by the fact the gun is still new, and clocked speeds a good 50fps higher than in the shadow.

so to make a long story short, i am a bit disappointed with the performances of the compensator with major loads. having previously shot a sti 2011, which has virtually no barrel flip, i have to say the CM has as much or even more barrel flip than my stock shadow.

a friend who shoots a sti 2011 tested it and his response was "bring it back to the shop immediately"

so my questions are, am i doing something wrong or the compensator of the CM is not up to the task? different loads should be used? compensator can be modified?

considering the high price i am paying for this pistol, i was expecting top performances, at least on the same level of other guns on the market.

thanks and have a good day.

gianmarko,

Any compensator will not work with minor or reduced loads.

Over the (too many) years, I've shot 2011-style custom-built pistol with various compensators/ cartridge combinations. The compensator on my CzechMate is equal in performance to...and better than most...any of those previous pistols. You just need to work up a load that produces sufficient gas to give you a satisfactory results. My load is a 124g. Complete Metal Jacket bullet over 7.8g. of Vectan SP2 at an OAL of 1.120. The produced PF is just above 170.

By the way, the grip ergonomics of the CM, the weight of the steel frame, and the lower barrel axis to the frame make the CM a far more pleasant pistol with which to complete. You have a fine pistol.

All-Gator

HardChromeCZ_zps3324f36e.jpg

I have a CZ75 SA that was built into an open gun 2 port comp and 1 port on each at the nose of the comp.My load is 6.9 grns of Auto comp using a 124 grn Montana gold FMJ loaded at 1.130 OAL,about 169 power factor.

The gun shoots flat using a cut down 6# recoil spring(cut off 3 coils because we took approx. 1/2 inch off of slide to get a nice flat surface to match Comp to slide,also my comp is milled from Bar Stock and is full profile(its a little

heavier than the CM comp).Just got it back from Hard Chrome waiting for new Cheely Mount for my C more RTS

HardChromeCZII_zpsbedc5636.jpg

Edited by Big Dog Howie

Wow...I'd love to hear the details on this - like what barrel you used and who/how did the comp...and how many rounds you can fit into a 170MM mag...

I can get 28 but it is not reliable so I run 27.a quick run down factory barrel (polished hard chrome)threaded 1/2x28, cone milled to attach barrel to comp,comp milled from bar stock,slide cut behind front sight to give a flat surface I think we did 1% angle on the cut,slide cuts for lightening and a all CZ custom parts for interior and hammer and mag well and grips

Edited by Big Dog Howie

• 4 weeks later...

wow, gun looks fantastic, im slowly improving the effectiveness of my stock compensator, but im planning, eventually, to build my own one. i have mill and lathe, but im just a beginner machinist.

a compensator doesnt look expecially complicated to build from bar.

have a CZ75 SA that was built into an open gun 2 port comp and 1 port on each at the nose of the comp.My load is 6.9 grns of Auto comp using a 124 grn Montana gold FMJ loaded at 1.130 OAL,about 169 power factor.

The gun shoots flat using a cut down 6# recoil spring(cut off 3 coils because we took approx. 1/2 inch off of slide to get a nice flat surface to match Comp to slide,also my comp is milled from Bar Stock and is full profile(its a little

heavier than the CM comp).Just got it back from Hard Chrome waiting for new Cheely Mount for my C more RTS

Lengthen your OAL. I started out loading my CM at 1.130 and was unhappy with muzzle flip. I moved it out to 1.165, after 1.170 the bullets start to rub on the mags, and was very pleased at the reduction of flip.

I am using 7.0 grains of AutoComp.

Lengthen your OAL. I started out loading my CM at 1.130 and was unhappy with muzzle flip. I moved it out to 1.165, after 1.170 the bullets start to rub on the mags, and was very pleased at the reduction of flip.

I am using 7.0 grains of AutoComp.[/quote

Have you chronoed your load.

Edited by Big Dog Howie

At the SC State match I was 168pf.

At the SC State match I was 168pf. [/quote.

I can't load that long. I am using cz 75 mags and I think the longest I can go is 1.150 or they will rub the inside of the mags. The CM mags are larger so you have more room to load longer

I can't load that long. I am using cz 75 mags and I think the longest I can go is 1.150 or they will rub the inside of the mags. The CM mags are larger so you have more room to load longer

I have yet to load so long as to hang up a round in the mag and I have gone 1.165" in both my TS and my small frame Tanfo, I'm limited my the chamber in both.

I have yet to load so long as to hang up a round in the mag and I have gone 1.165" in both my TS and my small frame Tanfo, I'm limited my the chamber in both.

Maybe I will try some longer loads see how they perform.

When tuning loads to an Open gun its not about getting close to 165pf, or barely over.... its about driving the comp. Your gun may need more pressure, different powders give different gases, you may end up running hotter loads to drive the comp effectively. But with 9major you don't have as much room to play in tuning loads sometimes, as its such a short case and its getting filled pretty much already.

Hotter loads may feel more "violent" but sometimes make the gun shoot flatter. Work up charges a little at a time til you hit max pressures, or the gun shoots like you want it. If you can't get there with your current powder, bullet, etc, keep trying new combos.

What little I've shot of 9major, I had good luck with HS6 and 124 Jacketed. "Plated" may not hold up to the speeds and pressures......

Edited by sfinney

What little I've shot of 9major, I had good luck with HS6 and 124 Jacketed. "Plated" may not hold up to the speeds and pressures......

I tried HS6 but it "felt" hotter than the AC to me. I prefer the 124 Montana gold CMJ, but am currently using Frontier plated 124's with no issue.

When tuning loads to an Open gun its not about getting close to 165pf, or barely over.... its about driving the comp. Your gun may need more pressure, different powders give different gases, you may end up running hotter loads to drive the comp effectively. But with 9major you don't have as much room to play in tuning loads sometimes, as its such a short case and its getting filled pretty much already.

This is gospel :D When shooting 38SC I was able to try many different powders and different OAL's. Going to 9major DRASTICALLY limits those choices due to case length. I still would not go back to scrounging super comp brass! :ph34r: