Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use a .40 for Production?

Krag

I have been shooting Production with various 9mm pistols for almost three years now. I noticed the other day that I have a large quantity of .40 reloading components gathering dust in my reloading room. I am considering unlimbering my G35 and using it in Production matches with downloaded .40 ammo.

To make major with a .40 you only have to push a 180 gr. bullet to 695 fps. I should be pretty soft shooting? The primary reason I switched to Production is that I have severe carpal tunnel in both wrists and shooting Major .40 and .45 loads just got too painful.

Any suggestions Pro or Con would be appreciated. :)

I love my G35 loaded at minor (180 gr Montana Gold over 3.2-3.4 gr of Titegroup OAL of 1.125) with a 13lb recoil spring it is like shooting my buckmark 22. The front site barely leaves the notch and there is very little rearward recoil. A buddy of mine with a G34 will tell you all day that the .40 is softer at minor than his 9. To me they are about the same. But either way they are both very soft.

Good Luck, Craig

I worked up two loads yesterday that show promise. Both are very accurate with soft recoil and function my G35 reliably:

- 180 gr. lead, 3.5 gr. of WW231: 737 fps - 132.6 PF

- 180 gr. JHP, 3.7 gr. WW231: 707 fps - 127 PF

I may drop the powder charge on the lead load another tenth and see what that does. Otherwise I'm ready to run. :D

Was out today shooting the light .40 loads and discovered a problem: the slide won't lock open on an empty mag. I am using a factory

spring/guide rod unit (17 lbs.). I talked to my local Glocksmith and he feels the slide does not have enough velocity suggested I replace

it with a Wolff 14 or 15 lbs. spring. :o

Opinions???? :(

I love my G35 loaded at minor (180 gr Montana Gold over 3.2-3.4 gr of Titegroup OAL of 1.125) with a 13lb recoil spring it is like shooting my buckmark 22.

Craig mentioned that he runs a 13 lb spring. Try a lighter spring, springs are cheap and easy to change. Start with a 15, If you still have problems go with a 13.

Ive shot a couple of matches with a G34 but the Glock grip didnt fit me to well <_< Next year I plan on trying an XD40 Tactical. 40 minor here I come :D

Adam

Krag,

Yes a spring change is almost mandatory. At minor PF with the stock 17lb. spring I am surprised you didn't have a few FTF's or FTE's. I replaced my stock recoil setup with a noncaptured steel guiderod but if you search around there are instructions on taking apart the stock rod at which time you can fit the ISMI springs on them. I have no experience with Wolffs springs but from reports I don't think there would be a huge functional difference.

Anyway, for my load that I listed I get a PF of 130-132, and use a 13lb ISMI spring with excellent reliability.

My major loads at 170ish PF require a 15lb spring for excellent reliability.

Take care, Craig

Hi,

I use a G22 and find it really good with 3.5gn n320 under 180gn proj.

I am useing the old stock spring which is tired and seems to function ok at this low PF of 134.

Question?? Does Glock make a reduced power spring? and if not are we allowed to use a reduced power spring from another maker? would it be legal for IPSC PD.

If not, then how do I fit a new spring that will work at 134pf.

Bill

Hi Guys,

I've just checked the rule book and as far as I can see, for IPSC PD you have to use the original Glock spring and for the life of me I can't see where Glock make a reduced power (13lb) spring.

My old spring for the G22 is tired and works ok at 134pf but what do I do about a replacement? Can I cut a couple of coils off it and still be legal for IPSC PD ?

What spring are all you blokes using who say you are shooting about the same PF?

Bill

I had to go to a 12 lbs. spring to get my G35 to lock the slide back on an empty mag. I ran my "Lite .40" loads through my G22

today with the factory recoil spring and everything worked as it was supposed to. I'm going to experiment with some other

powders (Bullseye, TiteGroup, Unique ???) and see what happens.

I just checked with John Abidon at USPSA and was told that it is permissible for Production shooters to replace the Glock's factory spring and guide rod with aftermarket parts.

I don't know about IDPA - but then who does? :wacko: