Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson CRP Edge

DaCoach

Good afternoon everyone. I am looking to purchase my first competition 2011. My research and budget have lead me to a Dawson CRP Edge in .40. I am also going to have him do a trigger job and polish the internals (basic reliability job). I have a few questions going into this that I am hoping you guys can provide feedback on:

1. Is the standard blued finish durable, or should I look to change over time?

2. Is there anything else I need to have done to the gun for it to be reliable?

3. Anything else I forgot?

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Tim

Can't speak to the Dawson, but I got one from Brazos which is basically the same thing. I've shot it side by side with a Dawson gun and I'm not sure I could tell a difference. Mine is blued and I've run about 6k rounds through it now with no hiccups to speak of. Finish has held up very well, barely any visible wear on the slide. I'm sure hard chrome would be better but I just don't care for the look. My only dislike on mine is the trigger reset, but I've never had anyone work on it. I'd say if you're having them do a full trigger job it should be great.

Dawson used to have an option called "super tuned" that basically had a gunsmith look it over and tune the trigger. Out of the box STI 2011's have a very stiff trigger pull, 6 lbs or so and it's a great choice getting the trigger job to bring the trigger pull down a little so you can enjoy your new toy. Don't forget mags, they are expensive and worth the $$$ to have someone tune them to start out with.

I have some custom 6" STI's that are hard chromed that are standing up well to the abuse they get. I also have an STI Sentry single stack and a Eagle 5.0 in standard black and can say that the Sentry has a fair amount of wear on the finish due to kydex holster but the Eagle 5.0 has very little since I use a Double Alpha race master holster that holds the pistol by the trigger guard.

Edited by xdnok

I picked up a CRP Eagle a little over a year ago and have not had a single issue with it, 20K + trouble free rounds. STI bluing will wear in a kydex holster, no avoiding it. If your concerned about that x2 for hard chrome. I fit a gunsmith blank trigger myself and am completely satisfied.

I use a Universal Shooting Academy Race Holster and the bottom of the dust cover touches the holster. My bluing is coming off there and also where my sweaty arm hits the back outside corner of the gun. (Florida humidity is tough).

I'm thinking about chroming it just to have the extra protection.

CRP Edge owner here, buy with confidence, but be advised the factory blue finish is thin and will wear.

I suggest run for awhile and get used to it, then in the off season send it off for either a hardchrome or ionbond finish.

The above is exactly what I did, I also had my gs take a little weight of the slide since he tore is down to prep the gun for the hardchrome refinish.

Edge_002.JPG

I have been shooting the Dawson CRP Edge since January and have had ZERO problems! It runs great. The only small issue is missfeeds if you are using short OAL ammo. Such as if you are shooting 165 gr factory ammo. The nature of the design needs the longer OAL to function seamlessly. I have been shooting Freedom Munitions 180 gr and have had zero missfeeds.

And yes, the kydex holsters will wear the factory blue finish off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought the CRP Edge in hardchrome and added the super tune option. I think it is $300.00. If you don't mind the wearing of the bluing don't sweat it. The gun will be fine. If you want the gun to look new longer get the hard chrome.