Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best readily available model for USPSA production

mike g35

I am a recent convert from Glocks and M&P's to 2011's in the open division (USPSA). I have been EXTREMELY pleased by the switch. However, even though I am an open division shooter, I like to dabble in production. I shot the Battle in the Bluegrass this past year and I want to go back next year but I figured since I'm changing things up I might as well retire my M&P Pro for a while and get something new (and highly recommended). Ends up, CZ seems to be VERY highly recommended. So if I'm gonna buy one what model is best and currently not impossible to find? I see alot of guys are looking for the SP-01 ST, but I work in a gun shop and when I asked my CZ vendor about availability he said 6-9 months and that was his best case scenario. So, where do I start? A 75B?

I think my 75B is my least favorite of my 75 pattern pistols, it has the shortest beaver tail, the lightest barrel and a slide which tapers at the muzzle, all of which makes it flip and wander more than my SP01 Shadow or my Jericho 941. That being said, I like heavy, steel pistols, if you're coming from the polys, that may not be a turn off for you.

Do you do your own trigger work? If so, I would encourage you to look at the clones as well; I've handled an EAA Stock III which was pretty great, although just as hard to get as a Shadow, but I prefer even a standard Witness steel to a 75B. My Jericho (Uzi/Baby Eagle) is every bit as good as my Shadow and I just handled my new TriStar T120 which seems to have a lot of potential.

The CZs are better out of the box, but with some polish/spring work, I believe the Tanfoglios, TriStars (Caniks) and Jerichos can be just as good. I've no experience with the Sar pistols, but I've heard good things about them too.

BLING!

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1869670/broward-florida-handguns-for-sale--wts--cz-75b

Actually I have found a lot of CZs on Armslist. Bought a few.

I like the 75B in .40, a little more weight than the 9MM but the teeny tiny mag release is a turnoff.

The SP01 Decocker in .40 seems like it would run, haven't shot one but from the forums it sounds like you can get a good trigger and no downside to a decocker for production otherwise.

The stainless models and the Omega have the larger mag release like the SP01, SA and shadows.

The Baby Eagle / Jericho pistol is a shooter, I just didn't like the slide mounted decocker but the one I had in .40 shot well and the weight is nice.

Almost forgot - Call CZCustom on this one - I think it is a smokin deal. URL is here: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=55469.0

CZC75MATTE_logo11148_zpsb2d336b4.jpg

Edited by tortuga

Depends on what you like. I prefer a pistol with a heavy front end. For me the straight SP01 fills the bill. 52k rnds throught mine. The only down is the pistol comes with a FPB safety and it must be installed. That said, the FPB can be worked and made virtually unnoticed in competition. The various Showdows do not have one. Some like the CZ85 Combat. Lighter in front and no FPB.

One noticeable downside of FPB is... longer trigger reset.

My personal experience from 3 years ago - went to shoot IDPA Provincials (State level equv.) with brand new 75B SA which I got a day before I went and shot only 10rds with night before the match. I replaced front sight and factory hammer with Comp hammer just before the shoot, re-sprung it too. Before than, I shot Shadow in IPSC/USPSA but it'd not make weight due to being 2008 and having thick beaver tail (yeah, they thinned it down since). Not even with Marschals lightest grips etc.

I really fudged up first stage due to reset, next two were a bit better.

Coming back home, I pulled FPB out of the slide without doing anything else... guess how much shorter the reset got?

Coming back home, I pulled FPB out of the slide without doing anything else... guess how much shorter the reset got?

You can simply remove the FPB without doing anything else? No blocks? Don't HAVE to remove theFPB lifter arm?

You can simply remove the FPB without doing anything else? No blocks? Don't HAVE to remove theFPB lifter arm?

You can get a pre-b sear that covers the gap, a spacer to replace the lifter from CGW or you can cut the legs off your lifter.

Well, my situation has changed. A class win at the 2013 ProAm and now I can pick up a CZ p07 or a CZ of equal or lesser value. So, do I get the P07? Or is there a gun of equal value that'd be better suited to my needs?

(BTW, yes, I am a REALLY happy shooter right now :))

post-33708-0-49171800-1373932445_thumb.j

Just use it towards another pistol like a SP-01, Shadow, Shadow Line, etc..... and add cash. You might have to wait a bit though.

Thanks for that response. Honestly with all the travel this weekend I hadn't even read the cert completely (jet lag sucks). I didn't see that I could upgrade until that post then I actually took time to read the cert. I'm gonna upgrade to a SP01. After it arrives I'll pay someone to upgrade the trigger and sights.

I thought about a 75b stainless, but everything I read says the trigger can be made better on the SP01. Is this true?

Indeed the SP01 trigger's can be quite nice (especially if you've been switching between a striker fired gun and a single action 2011). Even the decocker (tactical version) can be improved right out of the box with little more than a lighter mainspring and some polishing. Ship it to CZ Custom and have them slick it up if you want the full house trigger job.

Supply from CZUB has been minimal for about a year now...The Egyptians ordered 50,000 +/- special make up PO07's and handgun business in eastern Europe has been quite strong for a few years now. The majority of firearms we're able to obtain from CZ USA at distriution have been special make up's and overrun long guns from Europe. We've got a great supply of threaded 455 rimfire rifles and 550's in 9.3x62, 22-250, and few 500Jeffery safari grade rifles....

I was checking prices and features and it seems to me the SP01 has little more over the 75b than a full length dust cover. Since I could care less about the full length dust cover and rail and I actually prefer the look of the 75b and since the 75b won't cost me a penny I've decided to go that route. I've always wanted a CZ but never made the jump, looks like I can now. If my info on the differences between the 75b and SP01 is wrong someone please let me know.

BTW, a HUGE thank you to CZ USA and all the sponsors, shooters, and folks that worked the ProAm!!! Great match and we all appreciated everything!!!!

Supply from CZUB has been minimal for about a year now...The Egyptians ordered 50,000 +/- special make up PO07's and handgun business in eastern Europe has been quite strong for a few years now. The majority of firearms we're able to obtain from CZ USA at distriution have been special make up's and overrun long guns from Europe. We've got a great supply of threaded 455 rimfire rifles and 550's in 9.3x62, 22-250, and few 500Jeffery safari grade rifles....

*thread drift* --- got a 550FS in .308?? got someone looking for one.

Safari grade rifles are nice too!

I was checking prices and features and it seems to me the SP01 has little more over the 75b than a full length dust cover. Since I could care less about the full length dust cover and rail and I actually prefer the look of the 75b and since the 75b won't cost me a penny I've decided to go that route. I've always wanted a CZ but never made the jump, looks like I can now. If my info on the differences between the 75b and SP01 is wrong someone please let me know.

BTW, a HUGE thank you to CZ USA and all the sponsors, shooters, and folks that worked the ProAm!!! Great match and we all appreciated everything!!!!

There are few other differences, but the 75B can be tricked out to be really special shooters. Action job, short reset, sights, grips.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my 75B is my least favorite of my 75 pattern pistols, it has the shortest beaver tail, the lightest barrel and a slide which tapers at the muzzle, all of which makes it flip and wander more than my SP01 Shadow or my Jericho 941. That being said, I like heavy, steel pistols, if you're coming from the polys, that may not be a turn off for you.

Do you do your own trigger work? If so, I would encourage you to look at the clones as well; I've handled an EAA Stock III which was pretty great, although just as hard to get as a Shadow, but I prefer even a standard Witness steel to a 75B. My Jericho (Uzi/Baby Eagle) is every bit as good as my Shadow and I just handled my new TriStar T120 which seems to have a lot of potential.

The CZs are better out of the box, but with some polish/spring work, I believe the Tanfoglios, TriStars (Caniks) and Jerichos can be just as good. I've no experience with the Sar pistols, but I've heard good things about them too.

kneelingatlas

I just learned about the T120, how do you like it so far? Did you find the parts work with Tanfo/eaa or CZ?

Thanks!

There are few other differences, but the 75B can be tricked out to be really special shooters. Action job, short reset, sights, grips.

Well Stuart after doing some research and after taking my own preferences into account I ended up going with a 75b stainless. I'll be in touch sometime soon concerning the 4 modifications you mentioned (sights, short reset, action job, and grips).

I do have a couple more questions though.

Can I do a "race trigger job" (action and short reset) and keep the gun production legal? What will I be looking at in pounds of pull SA? DA?

Will I need the slide cut to install an adjustable rear and FO front sight?

I've been eyeing a few sets of grips too. I guess as long as I don't add finger grooves I can use any of them and remisin production legal correct?

For USPSA production..everything you list is good.

the adjustable sight we use, the slide would need to be milled.

there may be other options out there if you need an adjustable rear.

I just learned about the T120, how do you like it so far? Did you find the parts work with Tanfo/eaa or CZ?

Thanks!

I pick it up on Tuesday, all I know so far is that it has a really tight slide to frame fit (as tight as the Shadow) and the barrel is the same OD as the 75B (12.75mm) so I have to turn down the barrel in my SSE kit.