Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Magazine Capacity

JRicks

Depends on rules for the matches you shoot too. Horner seems set on ONLY 8 rd capacity for tube, not just at start. I have 9+1 gun that can easily take a -1 plug. And. I have a 10+1 gun for matches where all that's stipulated is number of rounds in gun at buzzer...

My wife is always telling me bigger is better, so I use a 10+1. It works out to about 3/4" longer than the barrel on my 26" M1.

8+1 is the new 7+1. It's just not enough. I've shot stages that were empty chamber start, but allowed max division capacity. (9 in the tube.) On these, you'll be out of luck.

In years gone past, onct in a while you would run into USPSA rules, that you were only allowed 9 rounds in the gun, total, ever. So I'm thinking a lot of us had/have 8 round only tubes. Then we started bumping into matches that allowed 9 in the gun at the start, but empty chamber. So I'm thinking a lot of us had/have 9 round tubes. Now, as far as I can find, there are no matches where we are limited to anything. 9 in the gun at the start whether it's empty chamber or not, and after the start you can load as many as you can carry. Over the years, once in a while I've come across stages that you had to take 3 or 4 steps before the first shot was available. I use the 4 shell caddies so I wanted to be able to load 4 shells after the start, which for me demands a 12 round tube - 13 in the gun with 24" barrel. Lots of stages have a lot of shots at the start, then a gap, and a finale of 10 or 12 shots, and it's nice to load 'er up for the finish. I also have a philosophy when you bring the gun down to load, if you have a couple of steps, load it full. I haven't had any issues other than a ported wall maybe once a year. I was a little concerned with what was going to happen to the thin aluminum tubes taking a lot of muzzle blast. There is a 1/4" of carbon built up about 1" in front of the muzzle. I leave it on as a thermal heat guard. Every couple of month I take a rasp and cut it back to 1/16".

And for all the skiiers out there, there is a thing call swing weight, which figures into how much tube, loaded with how many shells do you want to deal with while shooting targets left and right. Maybe you look at the stage and decide not to load up because it will slow you down. Maybe you walk the match, and see that target placement precludes the long tube, so you change out to a 10 rounder before the 1st stage.

Maybe you think that long tube sticking 10" past the end of the barrel is really ugly, or maybe you think it's totally cool.........

I didn't mind having a long tube, as I've run an SX2 for a while now. even if it was plugged to 8+1, the fact that I didn't have the spring at full compression made it easier to load. At least that was how it felt, very few fumbled reloads for have a 90% shell shoved back out.

My tube holds eight but I am considering going to a nine round tube (under a 22” barrel). Not so much for adding rounds after the buzzer but for giving the spring more room to work and giving the bottom of the dump barrel something to hit first besides the extended choke tube. My last round (#8) goes in pretty stiff and the last one out of the tube is thrown pretty softly at the lifter and a longer tube with more spring should help both issues. I really don’t want the additional length on the gun but can live with another 3” I suppose.

I currently run a 11 rd extension, but have been thinking about going to 12 because I am always loading an even number of shells.nothing is worse than taking those last two shells of my belt and only being able to stuff 1 and a half in the gun. Poor stage planning I guess.

George

I have a 12+1 Nordic. The extension is way past the end of the barrel. If I were to do it all over again, I would just get a 26" barrel. Same length with the extension. Other problem with the longer extension is more thinking about the count if there are any slugs or switch to buck stages. Also kind of ruins the entire short barrel advantage of getting around the stage quickly.

12 round tube is the only way to go in my opinion. I've never on e felt it was too long for a hallway, port or even shooting out of that POS ford Taurus we shot out of at Pro Am last year.

I have had the extra four rounds allow me to load when I wanted to during a stage rather than have the mag tube dictate when it's ready for more ammo.

Make Ready Pro ship sells the 12 round Nordic tubes for the best price I've seen.

I have a 12+1 Nordic. The extension is way past the end of the barrel. If I were to do it all over again, I would just get a 26" barrel. Same length with the extension. Other problem with the longer extension is more thinking about the count if there are any slugs or switch to buck stages. Also kind of ruins the entire short barrel advantage of getting around the stage quickly.

i dont know what your shooting but the 12 round tube sits a good ways past my 26" Benelli. even farther if your gun has a 4 round stock mag tube