Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to go major in a S&W 686?

westczek

I shoot minor in USPSA using 38 Short Colt in a S&W 686. Hypothetically, what would be the best route to take if I wanted to shoot major in that gun. It isn't going to grow two extra charge holes, if you know what I mean...

Westczek

I shot 38 Special Major using 180gr LTC and 200gr LRN out of my N Frame 357. Basically the same load behind a 180 that the Limited guys use in their .40s.

Edited by JFlowers

I was once told (by USPSA staff) that the brass has to say 357 to make major. Don't know if that's the case.

The problem I had with heavy bullets (200g) was the powder didn't fill the case and velocity was inconsistent.

I was once told (by USPSA staff) that the brass has to say 357 to make major. Don't know if that's the case.

In the old days it did have to say 357. Not that way anymore.

was going to comment same, i just checked again, there is no rule about what the brass has on it, appendix d6...

So I need to get my 160 grain Bayou Bullet moving about 1060 fps... 357 mag case is too long for quick reloads. 38 Special is really max length for reloads, but still long. How about 38 Super resized with a 357 die.

I'm not sure how serious I am about this or maybe just trying to bait some of the 8 round minor haters.

I could do a lot and it would be fun to experiment and workup a load, but not sure it would make me anymore successful at a match. Good for day-dreaming at least.

Westczek

So I need to get my 160 grain Bayou Bullet moving about 1060 fps... 357 mag case is too long for quick reloads. 38 Special is really max length for reloads, but still long. How about 38 Super resized with a 357 die.

Consider 38 Long Colt. Brass avail from Starline.