Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack - Officer and Commander Guns Legal?

At a recent club match I shot there was a shooter who registered in Single Stack and shot his Kimber Ultra Carry (3" gun). One guy in our squad was arguing the Single Stack rules required a 5" gun and that he'd have to shoot L10.

Sounded bogus, and Appendix D5 rule 22 (modifications not approved) reads:

"Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile)."

I think the Kimber shooter got shafted if they kept him in L10. Am I right?

Wow, what an advantage he would have had in Single Stack... A light gun and short sight radius... (and lower capacity

magazines if he shoots the factory issued ones...)

Less than 43 oz, fits in box with magazine inserted. Cone bushing allowed if less than 4.2".

From Appendix D5

7 Maximum size Handgun and all magazines| Yes | handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box
with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”,
-0”) (8.938” x 6” x 1.625”) (227.01mm x 152.40mm x 41.28mm)
18 Maximum weight | Yes | 43 ounces with empty magazine
22 Prohibited modifications and features • | | External modifications or features such as weights or devices
to control or reduce recoil (such as, but not limited to,
thumb rests or components which could be used as such).
•Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except
in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches
or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings
and conform to factory profile).
•Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to provide
a competitive advantage.

At a recent club match I shot there was a shooter who registered in Single Stack and shot his Kimber Ultra Carry (3" gun). One guy in our squad was arguing the Single Stack rules required a 5" gun and that he'd have to shoot L10.

Sounded bogus, and Appendix D5 rule 22 (modifications not approved) reads:

"Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges, except in 1911 compact pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches or less. (Note: All other barrels must have barrel bushings and conform to factory profile)."

I think the Kimber shooter got shafted if they kept him in L10. Am I right?

Unfortunately a little knowledge can sometimes be a dangerous thing.

Thanks, folks. That's how I read it, too. The guy claiming he had to be running a 5" gun was kind of an asshat. I didn't get involved (now I wish I would have) but it definitely sounded way wrong. I'm sure there were a few rule books with us but nobody pressed the issue.

Yeah, let's just say he was running his carry gear to do something different that day and while his times were that of a guy reloading after every six or seven shots, he got his As and his gun ran like a champ. More power to him for running his carry rig :-)

• 6 months later...

I was doing a little 'google searching' and ran across this topic. I have a related question...

I would like to compete in single stack with my 9mm light weight Wilson compact. It has a officers length grip with a 4 inch barrel (so that's not an issue). I'd like to use the 10 round Wilson magazines I have so that I take advantage of shooting minor. At the local practice match I shoot at nobody has an issue with it but I am thinking about shooting some 'official matches' and I'm wondering if they will take issue with the magazine extending the extra 1/2 inch.