Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New single stack major

I purchased a cheap taurus 1911 chambered for 9mm. Worked on it myself and shot a match. I loved it. The question is

Should I get a spartan 45 acp save cost in gun or should I get the .40 Trojan save cost in brass/bullets?

I reload but currently not prepared to reload either.

If you're planning to shoot S/S major a lot, you should just go straight to 40. Brass is more plentiful and other components are cheaper as well. The more you shoot the bigger the savings.

When shooting 45 in a match, I end up spending more time picking up brass instead of focusing more on shooting.

If you don't intend on shooting 45 in some other sport (idpa, bullseye) or division (L-10, revo) then the get a 40. I am hopelessly tied to .45 now and only shoot one division with it.

If I were buying new, I'd get the 40. The gun is a one time cost (mostly) while components are an ongoing cost.

Having just converted from 45 (230gr @ ~175pf) to 40 (180gr @ ~170pf), I'll say that they definitely feel different and I don't think it's so much the PF as it is the lighter bullet in 40. They are both sprung with a 14# recoil and a 17# mainsping.

The 40 feels snappy and crisp in comparison to the 45. This could also be the effect of a slightly lighter slide on the 40.

If you're planning on going to a 2011 eventually, I'd probably go with a .40 (I shoot .45 single stack now, because a 1911 demands .45 if you're a snob like me), simply because you get more rounds when you shoot limited with a .40 than with a .45 and why make the transition if you don't have to?

A smith can open up a 9mm breechface. You would also want to have the frame cut for a ramped barrel and a .40 barrel and extractor fit. It wouldn't be terribly expensive, although I feel with your base gun I would just leave it a 9 and buy a .40.

Check out M2i custom- they have prices for what you would want on their website.

Edited by MikeRush

I was loading for Lim Maj already and did not want to start loading 45 acp. The Trojan cost $3-400 more than the Spartan but I would easily drop that on gathering the loading stuff for 45 so in my estimation it was a wash. I really enjoy both the SS and 2011 (mines a Para) guns in 40.

Seriously if you are thinking 2011 get one, don't waste time and money on a SS, if you want to shoot that you got your 9 mm. I can honestly say I haven't lost a dime on buying a gun, it is one of the safest investments around, yes I said investment, not like buying a Dunnie and Burke purse then giving it away at a garage sale after it goes out of style.

Pick up a good used Edge with some mags and have a blast!

I would have to move some stuff. Don't know if I'm financial ready. I think I will leave it up to fate which ever I see up first that I can afford.

Fate just rang the door bell http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177089 These lack the affluent affection of the the S_I, but they will get the job done, Todd Jarret one example.

Fate just rang the door bell http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=177089 These lack the affluent affection of the the S_I, but they will get the job done, Todd Jarret one example.

what was just posted here (about the Para) will not hold you back from climbing the ladder of competition!

the above comment about "lack of the affluent affection.... " What matters is practice and desire

Yeah just saw that I was about to ask how much a difference they would make. Para vs sti A us

A good used edge will run about $1700 with two or three mags. If you are a C or D class shooter it won't make any difference, you will have just as much fun as a guy shooting a $5000 custom, more cause you won't be worring about your electricty being cut off. If you are a B trying to Roll to A mabye it might be a bit of a hinderance but after that A, M, GM, its all about what works in your hand.

I risk getting laughed at on the range but I bought a ria 10mm to convert to 40s&w for the occasional match. Tight every where, very Nice trigger, cut for parts ramped barrel. The barrel is a bull but a bushing barrel will fit just fine as the slide is cut for one already.

Picking up 45 brass is actually pretty easy. So many people shoot 40, 38 super, and 9mm and know how precious brass is (especially 45 ACP) that mine is usually the easiest stuff to pick up. I saw one guy who made red stripes around all his brass which made it a little easier to find his stuff (40 S&W) and sort it out of other random brass.

I had a 45 ACP and enjoyed shooting it. I only need to make a 230 gr bullet go around 725 FPS to make major. 200 gr goes 800 and is also a good round to shoot. Truthfully if you don't reload 45 (or shoot it a lot right now) AND you shoot 40 a lot then I'd stick with 40.

Now, from a competitive standpoint I might go 40 minor just for the extra 2 bullets. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had 2 extra bullets in all 6 mags I have. 12 extra bullets is HUGE!

I really think that depends on the match. Most stages for any match not specifically a Single Stack match are designed to be Production-friendly. That's when the extra two rounds makes a difference. But the Single Stack Nats, for example, didn't really reward minor shooters--at least not in my opinion. I shot the Nationals, then re-shot it with some Production folks. I didn't see anything in their stage breakdowns that really showed the extra two rounds helped. However, there were several places at Area 5 where the extra two rounds would have been a big deal--essentially made for an extra reload on any stage above 20 rounds.

Maybe I missed something. SS major is 8 rounds SS minor is 10 rounds. You shoot either 45 or 40 in major SS and still you only have 8 rounds per magazine max. Maybe I read something differently than it was written.