Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree mount w/ thumbrest, racker

mike g35

I'm going to switch out my stock STI mount and get a 90 degree mount this week. I have been using the search function and I've read alot about installation, different manufacturers, etc.. Being that I shoot a STI MatchMaster (a shorty) I was thinking that the Cheely 90 degree setback would be my best bet, but I have a few concerns.

First off I wondered if Matt Cheely could install a thumbrest on it for me if i bought it directly from him. I didn't see them on his website but I thought I might have just missed it. I hope he carries and installs them but at the least I'm hoping that I can get the mount drilled and tapped for one.

Next I'm wondering about screw length. Looks like I'll need new screws that are longer and they'll need cut to fit. Anyone have a measurement on the screw length needed? Can I just cut them with a dremel cutting wheel?

Lastly, does anyone know if I'll still be able to install a racker on the left side of the slide if I use the setback mount?

Sorry for all the stupid noobie questions. But if I don't ask, I won't learn. And of course I'm gonna call whoever i decide to get a mount from which will answer some of my questions but i want to get shooter feedback and opinions as well. Thanks in advance guys. I appreciate all the recent help. :)

The only question I can answer from experience is the screws. I used a Dremel cut off wheel to zip them down to the right length. Worked perfect. I think the screw length will ultimately depend on which mount you use.

The only question I can answer from experience is the screws. I used a Dremel cut off wheel to zip them down to the right length. Worked perfect. I think the screw length will ultimately depend on which mount you use.

Thanks for the help PXM!!! :)

I was just looking at the Quinn III. Looks like it has the thumbrest installed already. Only questions that need answered now is will height be an issue, and should I buy a Quinn or a Cheely. I'll talk to Matt tomorrow if possible and see what he thinks. All help is HIGHLY appreciated guys.

Hello: The Cheely setback mount works great on full size pistols as well. You can install a Go Guns one on it using the standard holes or drill and tap the mount. I really like the 90 degree mounts since I also shoot iron sight pistols. I also use Quinn II mounts but have not tried the Quinn III yet. The Cameron mount works also and you can put your thumb in the hole on the mount. Thanks, Eric

You can run extended slide rackers as well. Shooter's connection has the sidewinder and the sidewinder XL which is extra long for 90 mounts. Matt has everything you need to get you fixed up. Just email or call him and he will take good care of you.

Have the cheely setback on mine as I have 3 popple holes in the gun. I tried a go guns and I couldn't get it positioned where i wanted it so I have a cr speed thumb rest. Where the slide racket would have to be cut on the gun it would not work with the mount on the left side of the gun as it would hit the sight it's self. I run a cheely short racket on the right hand side of the gun and have no issue with it as its rarely used. The thumb rest used the same holes as as the mount. On the cr speed the thumb rest has 2 holes so run 3 screws through mount only and 2 through both then thumb rest and mount.

Have the cheely setback on mine as I have 3 popple holes in the gun. I tried a go guns and I couldn't get it positioned where i wanted it so I have a cr speed thumb rest. Where the slide racket would have to be cut on the gun it would not work with the mount on the left side of the gun as it would hit the sight it's self. I run a cheely short racket on the right hand side of the gun and have no issue with it as its rarely used. The thumb rest used the same holes as as the mount. On the cr speed the thumb rest has 2 holes so run 3 screws through mount only and 2 through both then thumb rest and mount.

Thanks for all your help recently EKU, you just answered all my questions. I think I'm gonna get my racker cut right side just to make it easier since my hopes are that I won't need it unless a stage starts unloaded anyway.

One more question then I'll stop asking questions for tonight. Are you sure the Cheely mount will fit properly on a round top slide like my MM has? Are you using a round top or flat (tr-ttopped) slide? Once I get the answer to this ill be able to order my parts..........thank god. LOL ;)

Edited by mike g35

Let me just add that I now COMPLETELY understand why guys are willing to pay $4-$5000 for a custom gun. Like it or not that's what you're gonna pay to play in the open division if you want a gun that runs. LOL :)

A sidewinder XL will not hit a 90 mounted cmore.

It depends on the 90 degree mount and where the cut is made. On the factory guns, they have the "Swoop" in the back that limits where the slide racker can go to just behind the breech face. With it cut in that position, the XL and Cheely extended will both work with a standard 90 degree mount. With the Cheely setback mount however it does hit the cmore its self on what the lower corner where it thickens out for the battery compartment door. Looked at both the extended ones in shooters connection and neither would fit without hitting. If the cut were able to be farther back, it would not hit this part of the gun but on the factory guns it can not go farther back Mine fits on a standard round top slide, If there is an issue and it doesn't I know matt has done them for people where he simply drills the holes in his mounts where it will.

Edited by EkuJustice

Just ordered a Cheely setback 90 degree mount, RHT thumbrest, and some extra screws (jic) along with an Aftec 9mm extractor. Thanks for the help everybody. I'll post a pic when I get everything put together.

Good choice.

BC

Thanks Bill. I sent Matt an email yesterday and I dont think he got back to me yet (dont quote me on that, might be in a spam folder or something) but I know how busy the guy is and I didn't wanna hound him with constant messages and questions. I pretty much figured out everything I needed to by asking a BUNCH of questions on here. Didn't matter anyway, the only mount I was gonna use was a Cheely. I figure if I have issues with it either Chuck at SC or Matt himself will let me know what to do.

I'm a little late, but Mrs 424D57 runs a cheely setback on her matchmaster and it clears fine. I got longer screws, cut them down with a dremel and cutoff wheel, then used a file to clean up the ends. She has a right side racker and didn't want a thumbrest so i'm no help there I'm afraid.

-424D57

I'm a little late, but Mrs 424D57 runs a cheely setback on her matchmaster and it clears fine. I got longer screws, cut them down with a dremel and cutoff wheel, then used a file to clean up the ends. She has a right side racker and didn't want a thumbrest so i'm no help there I'm afraid.

-424D57

Thanks 424D57. My Cheely setback and everything else will be today. That relieving to know that someone else is running the exact same setup. At least now I KNOW the mount will fit.