Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic in ear hearing protection

Jan R.

Just got a set of ESP's about 2 months ago. Can't imagine ever going back to "ear muff" style. Super comfortable, sound is unbelievable and hearing protection is great. There are pricey, but well worth the money IMHO.

I'm using Hear-Pro AMP-39's. 39 db rating. The PRO-39 non-electronics are also great at a cheaper price.

Mark

How do you like the amp 39's? They are quite a bit less than the ESP's.

Thanks

Jan

They're great. I shoot an open gun and I have no ringing in my ears after a days shooting. They also have 4 settings with a push of a little button.Every push of the button has a beep, beep beep, 3 beeps or 4. I use beep setting 1 for shooting. On 4 you can hear a fly fart 100 yards away. They'd be really good in the woods when hunting deer or turkey.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I wanted to hear. Are you sponsored by hear-pro or did you buy them. Just asking in the interest of full disclosure!! Brad has been awesome to deal with.

Thanks again!

Jan

Yes, I'm on the Hear-Pro Shooting Team, was asked by Brad to join in. He sold me the Amp-39's at a discount, but I still had to pay for them. I always wanted a set of electronic plugs and this was an avenue of finally getting them. Even if I hadn't joined the HPST, I was still going to purchase them. Since I am on the team, I also got a pair of the Pro-39 and they work great. You can hear range commands and they swell when the guns are fired shutting down the harmful noise. You can't go wrong with either one.

Cool thanks Mark. I appreciate your honesty. I ordered a set of AMP 39's and I can't wait to get them. As I said Brad was great to deal with and answered all of my questions.

Thanks Again.

Jan

After dealing with putting on and taking off muffs on top of plugs, I'm ready for a change. The AMP's look great but short of hitting the lottery, I'm going to have to settle for either the Pro-39 or the Acoustic Filtered plugs.

I've seen many recommend the former but not the latter. Are the Pro-39's that much better?

Cool thanks Mark. I appreciate your honesty. I ordered a set of AMP 39's and I can't wait to get them. As I said Brad was great to deal with and answered all of my questions. Thanks Again. Jan

If you shoot 3-gun, you'll really like them when you go to rifle and shotgun.

Yes, I'm on the Hear-Pro Shooting Team, was asked by Brad to join in. He sold me the Amp-39's at a discount, but I still had to pay for them. I always wanted a set of electronic plugs and this was an avenue of finally getting them. Even if I hadn't joined the HPST, I was still going to purchase them. Since I am on the team, I also got a pair of the Pro-39 and they work great. You can hear range commands and they swell when the guns are fired shutting down the harmful noise. You can't go wrong with either one.

I noticed in your Bio on the HP site that you also wear ear muffs...

Do you normally wear muffs over your electronis ear protection?

I noticed in your Bio on the HP site that you also wear ear muffs...

Do you normally wear muffs over your electronis ear protection?

That pic was before I received the AMP-39s and Pro-39s's. No, I do not wear muffs at all now.

If folks are still interested in electronic ear protection, look into Nitro Ears. They have sponsored the members of Team Gargoyles last year and now the Smith Optics Elite Shooting team. I can't imagine shooting in the hot weather without them anymore. Talk about being spoiled by them. They really are that good. And they support our sport. Contact me here to get the 15% discount code if you want to order a pair.

That pic was before I received the AMP-39s and Pro-39s's. No, I do not wear muffs at all now.

Sorry if I came across as argumentative... I was just surprised that they used two pictures of you wearing ear muffs when they are selling ear plugs.

Do you switch between the AMP-39s and the Pro-39s? I would think you would use the AMP-39s all/most of the time.

I have a pair of common of custom made ear plugs that I had made at a local Tampa gun show... I like them because they don't hurt my ears (like muffs do) and they do a good job of deafening the sound... The only down side is that they make normal conversations difficult... They seem to lower all sound... not just gun shots... So, I am thinking about an electronic set of plugs...

You will NOT be disappointed with either of the Hear-Pro 39's. I mostly use the AMP39's myself regardless of the type shooting/match. As Mark has mentioned, they are perfectly fine around open pistols and 16" AR's with Titan and Rolling Thunder comps. They are plenty comfortable and don't interfere with long gun cheekweld like muffs. And, yes, the "39" material is that much better.

And, I can provide a discount code for Hear-Pros.

Edited by wgj3

Hi All

Who is using in ear hearing protection? How do you like them? What brand are you wearing?

Thanks

Jan

im using the sportear custom 210s and love them. i use them for the local pistol matches, multigun and also hunting. The battery life on mine last about 2-3 months, i use them every weekend about 6-8 hours per day on saturdays and sundays.

Another partial vote for the Hear-Pro Amp 39s. Like Mark, I too got them at a discount. Initially I thought they were pricey, more than I would pay for ear pro. After wearing them for a few months though, I would buy another pair if mine ever wore out. The comfort/coolness of plugs, and you can hear everything. The biggest thing for me has been the comfort of them, and still being able to hear what's going on around me. Something we don't always think about, but for me they've helped reduce fatigue a little over long or multi-day matches.

I used my Hear-Pro Amp 39s at the last multi- gun event for 4 days straight while being an RO and shooting. At the end of each day I got into my car and never realized I had them in my ears until I was half way down the road where I was staying or people told me I still had them in. That should say something for how comfortable they are. Brad is a great guy with a good company, he will set you straight.

Yet another vote for Hear-Pro and the PRO-39s. I shot a local match with them once and went to work in the gunsmith shop and forgot they were there, worked for another 8 hours with them in. Ever since, I wear them in the shop too. Cuts out the noise pollution of the machines and makes it more...peaceful. It's a great product. I never realized how important good hearing protection was until I got a pair.

Is there a difference between the AMP39's and the Nitro Elite that someone else mentioned? They look exactly alike but it's the insides that matter on these things. Nitro Elite are $200 less and I'm cheap.

I am interested on the AMP 39 plugs. I have some hearing loss after almost two decades in combat arms jobs in the US Army. I want to keep the hearing I have left. Uncle Sam doesn't issue decent hearing protection, and certainly not electronic. Several years ago I bought a set of Peltor electronic muffs that fit under the Kevlar helmet. Those are very good, but hot and uncomfortable, and a PITA to take off when you're wearing the helmet.

So here's my concern. I have a couple sets of "custom" molded plugs. They just don't stay seated in my ear canal very well. Talking, yawning, shotgun recoil all seem to make them pop loose enough to defeat any meaningful noise attenuation. They are silicone type rubber and that slick surface might be part of the problem. I would like to know more about the Hear Pro material and how well they "grip" the ear canal to stay seated. It's hard to plunk down that much cash for ear pro that might not solve the problem I have.

Yes, they are pricey but hearing is priceless. And hearing aids aren't cheap either.

Looking forward to your thoughts here or via email.

Thanks

John