Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i am looking at the 2011 pistol designs

mese341

i live in duluth mn so i am only 150 miles from the canadian border lol and thanks for the suggestions but i am just not sure about the 40 cal cause i shot a freedom gunworks 2011 40 cal and i just dont like the recoil on it i am only 5 foot 2 and i just feel that it kicks to hard for me to shoot it effectively i know alot of people do but for me i am not sure and i shot my best stage today :) i shot 6 steel, then shot 2 cardbord targets and i got 2 alpha and 2 charlies and i went 5 for 5 on the texas star in 58.9 seconds and i am shooting an xd 5in tactical in 9mm and i am shooting limited 10 with a bad recoil spring i am super happy

A lot of people don't like the .40 caliber recoil impulse, like me. I shoot a .45, however, so it feels different. I will say, with more experience shooting any given caliber, you can get used to it pretty quickly. Right now, you're judging the recoil on what you're shooting now, so it definitely feels sharper. With a couple thousand rounds under your belt, you can get used to it. I know lots of people who are your size and shoot .40.

Having said that, what everyone above is saying is true--you will probably get frustrated quickly with minor power factor scoring if you're going to shoot Limited. Using your above as an example, you shot 71 points, giving you a hit factor of 1.2054. If you shot it with major power factor, the same score would be 73 points, with a hit factor of 1.2393. I realize the .0339 difference in hit factor doesn't seem like a lot, but it'll be huge in the future. As you get faster, those two points are going to make a big difference.

Look at it this way--when you get faster, say your time goes down by half (29.45), the minor hit factor would be 2.4109 and the major hit factor would be 2.4788. That's the difference between you and the guy above you, for shooting the same points in the same time. If your time goes down by half again (14.78, for simplicity's sake), minor=4.8038 and major=4.9391--definitely the difference between you and the next guy.

Obviously, the choice is yours, but I think you'll find that you wind up wanting the major power factor gun more in the end, as your understanding of the game increases and your skill goes up.

Good luck!

Buy a CZ Tactical Sports, Tanfoglio Limited, or STI Edge in .40 and spend some of the money you save for a awesome press and reloading setup and lots of components. You'd have to be insane to drop that kind of cash on a gun and be worried about ammo cost.

+1. More ammo will make you a better shooter alot faster than money spent on a pretty gun. Heck, if you don't like recoil, why not just shoot singlestack minor or production? For $1500 you could get cz shadow tuned to the gills, or a really nice 1911. Then take a class from stoeger or manny, and put $3000 worth of ammo down the pipe. I guarantee you will then be a better shooter than if you spend $4500 on a custom gun.

+1. More ammo will make you a better shooter alot faster than money spent on a pretty gun. Heck, if you don't like recoil, why not just shoot singlestack minor or production? For $1500 you could get cz shadow tuned to the gills, or a really nice 1911. Then take a class from stoeger or manny, and put $3000 worth of ammo down the pipe. I guarantee you will then be a better shooter than if you spend $4500 on a custom gun.

+1 to the above.

I got a really smoking deal on either the classifieds here or off of USPSA website. I got a used Edge with holster and a couple of mags for a great price. If I could rewind time, I would have bought the used Edge first, a Dillon 650, reloading components, and then a training class like the ones mentioned above. In theory, you should become a better shooter a lot quicker going this route. Also, as your skill progresses you should become more aware of what you do and don't like (adding weight here or there, etc).

I am now shooting a 9mm STI 2011, but I haven't shot much USPSA lately and just try to shoot more 3-gun when I can. But, if you are shooting USPSA limited you will want the 40.

If you are still thinking of a custom build don't forget to check out Benny Hill with Triangle Shooting Sports (TX).

I've only met one shooter who owns an STI Limited gun in 9mm and he said he regretted buying it in 9 (it was a really nice Brazos tuned Edge). He really didn't realize any benefit in being forced to shoot Minor.

As others have mentioned, going .40 gives you the chance to play in Major scoring and load down if you prefer a softer gun at the expense of Minor scoring.

Now for my two-penny advice. You've got a GREAT starting budget - I heartily second buying a Brazos or Dawson-tuned gun, several magazines, a Dillon 550 or 650 and components, and shooting as much as possible.

As you learn your gun you'll figure out what you want to do to fit it to your hands and your style of shooting. When the time comes to tune it up, there are some phenomenal builders out there who can hook you up with the perfect mix of fit, action, and slide lightening.

I went from a 9mm Para to a .45 Kimber to a .40 STI. I hated the STI recoil the most and couldn't believe it was the most popular competition gun for Limited. However, I got used to it after a few thousand rounds. Would not recommend shooting Limited with a 9mm (Minor Scoring) or a .45 (Mag Capacity).

Now I do know a couple of M level shooters that shoot Limited Minor plastic guns and they don't seem to skip a beat (they torch me all day long) so..., there's that.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the game and currently shoot plastic in production, so take this for what it is worth....

I'm thinking about making the move to limited after seeing how sweet the Edges are at my local club. That was until a local Master let me check out his Gundhauser 6". No rattle and smooth like ball bearings. Paul is local (here in MN) and as I understand quite a gifted smith.

Check out his 5" and 6" limited guns (http://grundhausergunworks.com/). You will be under budget, (probably) have a finer tuned gun, and probably most important, access to your builder as he isn't very far from you.

I know I will be looking at his 5" model in the near future.....

Good luck!

• 10 months later...

If it takes you 14 full paychecks to buy a custom 2011 then this is a SERIOUS investment for you and you definitely want to go with .40.

I'm thinking instead of buying a 2011 maybe just keep running your XD and invest in reloading. It will be the best investment you make in this sport....... Keep shooting and set a goal. Say set your goal for Master class and once you make master reward yourself with an 2011. Or, if your like me (kinda stupid with my money lol) and you won't be happy until you have one then just go for it! :)

If you are spending 14 paychecks on it, perhaps you should reconsider. That is a super serious decision. I shot in Limited division for about a year with a Glock 35, and placed quite well with it. I've practiced, dry-fired, read, and my skill has advanced... I feel it was time to consider getting something nicer as my % steadily increased to just below A class.

I just recently ordered a CK Arms Limited gun after much consideration. IMO this is the best deal for a gunsmith fit 2011 out there right now.

That said, there is no way I would do it if it was 14 of my paychecks..

Edit:

I agree w/ 3djedi above: reloading is probably a better investment for you at this point. Go with a progressive setup.

Edited by earthshine402

If you really want a 9mm get one. Buy a stock Edge new, or used if you can find one, and a SDB and start learning to load and mechanic on your guns. You said you're going to start GS school so I reckon you plan on working on guns for a living, so get started. There's a lot you can do with basic tools and when you get far enough in school that they turn you loose with a mill you can lighten the heck out of your slide and build a 40 top end too. All the while you'll be learning and gaining experience.

If you just have to have a brand new custom gun for your birthday start calling and talking to the builders and see what they say. Every one of those mentioned here are top shelf and have build times from 4-18 months, plenty of time to put half down and save the rest.

Just my .02

I just got an STI executive, is it a custom gun, no... but my shooting can't tell the difference. I will have a custom one day but for the time being it is an awesome gun. I think you would be much better off buying a brazos or other tuned gun and not dealing with the wait time and spend the balance on reloading. You can buy a lot of reloading components with the difference in your budget and at the end of the day, your gun is really worthless if you don't have the ammo to shoot it!!

If you are shooting limited, you need a .40, you can load it to shoot like a 9 if you want but you will soon regret a nine and being held to the scoring associated with it