Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650

When I started I told Brian I wanted a 650 with a case feeder. We talked for a few minutes and he told me I didn't need a 650. He said if I had to buy a 650, to go to Dillon. Since he was saving me several hundred dollars, I went with the 550. Right now I probably average 2,000 rds. a month. Brian was right, the 550 was the correct press.

Just talk to Brian.

Ok Stick, tell me why.

OK! Since you asked.

I started with a little Lee turret press ( the turret moved and the bullet was stationary). Four pulls to make one round. Easy to keep track of what is going on. (Powder charges). I then went to a progressive press(shell plate rotated round the dies). Progressive press have a lot going on. One pull for one bullet. I then went to a Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles. (Case feeder, roller handle, strong mount, bullet trays, powder check die, etc.). The 650 is not really recommended for beginners. Brian Enos recommends the 550 because its not auto indexing. You can keep track of things easier. I also recommend you start with a powder like Bullseye because it fills the case with more powder and its easy to see a double charge.

You will also need a good digital scale, digital calipers, dies, and a bullet puller. Call Brian Enos, he will probably recommend the 550 also.

Edited by stick

Dude, Brian will do you right BUT if you think you want a 650 then get a 650. The 550 is an outstanding press. I loaded on one for a few years give or take and loved it. But I started wanting all the toys that go along with reloading such as a case feeder, bullet feeder, etc. The 550 just isn't cut out for that stuff. It is meant to be kept simple, i.e insert brass, pull handle, insert brass, insert bullet, pull handle, repeat several hundred times. The 650 is meant to run, and run it does when properly set up and adjusted. Installing the extra features listed above did not make it more complicated and made it even smoother and faster to load on. Just like shooting your first few matches. Go slow and be safe. Before long you will be cranking out 1000 rounds an hour without breaking a sweat. :cheers:

If you get the 650 or 550 you need the following items:

The press of your choice set up for the caliber you're loading

Dies for the caliber you're loading

A powder scale to set up your powder measure

A primer tray to flip your primers

Nice add to add on to a 650:

Bullet Tray

Case Feeder for the caliber you're loading

Roller Handle

I have a 550, and 2 650's one for small primers one for large primers saves time for caliber changes. The 650's share a case feeder.

When I went into progressives for cartridges, I started with a SDB (which I still have) and then jumped right to the XL650. I'm not disappointed. Once you have auto indexing (SDB) it is really nice. The extra throughput is nice.

There is a lot going on - if you don't have any mechanical aptitude you might want to stay with the simpler press. Caliber choices are important, too, the 550 and 650 have different coverages.

In addition to what Mr. GR8 listed, you need a caliper or some other measuring device to set your OAL. You may or may not want a strong mount, depending on your bench height.

I would bet $50 Brian will recommend the 550. He did for me, but, I was set on what I wanted. He was happy to sell it to me and offered good advice. If you must have a 650, by all means get one. It isn't like they lose much value.

Edited by rodell

I started with the 650 as my first press and so glad I did. If you are fairly mechanically/technically minded its really not that hard to learn and adjust. I think the progressive nature of the press might make it safer since a double charge should basically be impossible in normal loading process.

For when a guy wants to get started with a 650, but hasn't yet fully figured out what he wants to get, this info has proved helpful...

To get a 650 in one caliber, with everything else you would typically buy to get started reloading - in "Top Notch" style - runs in the $1500 - $1600 range.
To put together a 650 "Package," for the first caliber, that would be similar to one of my "550 EZ-buy Packages," check the link: "650 EZ-buy Packages - Why Don't You Have Them" - on my 650 store page:
To add calibers to a 650, in "Top Notch" style, runs approximately in the $300 - $350 range, depending on the calibers and options involved.
Info on what is required to add calibers to a 650:
All the items required to add calibers to a 650 are here:
Also... If you haven't seen my complete Dillon FAQ:

• 3 weeks later...