Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI Steelmaster. I have a couple of Qs.

AnimalCustoms

Would a trigger job be recommended?

There is a wing like thing that sticks out of the core mount (opposite side of the ejection port). Is this where my left hand thumb rests?

I'm rather new to the open class, this being my first open gun abs any suggestions or add ons would be much appreciated.

Also Bianchi Cup question. Where can I get wings for the steelmastee. Is that even possible on this gun?

That is a *thumb rest [generic]*. Some like them some don't. I don't use one because I push the left side down with it and get low hits.

You will probably have failure to eject with the mount that came on the gun if it is new. Either change to a Cheeley right angle mount that also moves the dot back further. or a cheely RTS mount that also moves the dot back some and replace the slide rider with a RTS. The orig mount often causes cases to be knocked back into the open chamber area causing jams and stovepipes. The trigger job is purely preference. The slide rider CMore that came with the gun is a better way to start because you can change the dot modules to what ever size you want to try.

Let the trigger break in some then see if you still think it could be better.

With the dot mounted the way it is ...it may get dirty quickly. Do not let that powder residue on the lens after you finish shooting. You may even have to clean it during the match. Get some lens pens.

Good luck Ilike my Steel mastersince I figured out the issues......

both my Steel Masters ran 100% from brand new... I did not have to change anything... I like the "wing thing" as you mentioned.. its a thumb rest/gas petal... I like it.. no problem with pushing shots right or down.. I would recommend to keep your new Steel Master well lubed.. especially the bushing... I was told when you shoot the first shot of the day... you should have oil on your glasses..

If you want to make it a Bianchi gun, best thing would be to send it to a Bianchi smith. You are going to need a shroud with the "wings", and a mover adjustment. Cmore will probably need to be swapped with a tube style optic. Trigger job will be very important.

jason@southforkarms.com

This guy builds Bianchi guns.

both my Steel Masters ran 100% from brand new... I did not have to change anything... I like the "wing thing" as you mentioned.. its a thumb rest/gas petal... I like it.. no problem with pushing shots right or down.. I would recommend to keep your new Steel Master well lubed.. especially the bushing... I was told when you shoot the first shot of the day... you should have oil on your glasses..

Steelmasters do not have bushings, they are bull barrel

If you are going to shoot Bianchi Cup I would recommend that you have an open gun built for that specific purpose. The Steelmaster is a very good gun for what it is designed to shoot. It is not built to the accuracy standards that you will need for Bianchi Cup.

If you are going to shoot Bianchi Cup I would recommend that you have an open gun built for that specific purpose. The Steelmaster is a very good gun for what it is designed to shoot. It is not built to the accuracy standards that you will need for Bianchi Cup.

I wonder if he could get away with a tighter barrel /comp fitted. I think the trigger is fine. It's not a bulleye 22 trigger but would get the job done

Steelmasters do not have bushings, they are bull barrel

UH... I THINK YOU ARE SOME WHAT MISTAKEN..... MY STEEL MASTERS DO NOT HAVE BULL BARRELS..

UH... I THINK YOU ARE SOME WHAT MISTAKEN..... MY STEEL MASTERS DO NOT HAVE BULL BARRELS..

Doesn't it have a 1 peice Trubor bull/comp???

Correct , I should have been more clear so everyone understood. No bushing on the steelmaster due to the trubor bull/ comp. bushing barrels are not bull barrels.

Sorry if I offended you Cecil .

Edited by Scootertheshooter

What should I be looking for in a good trigger job for the Steelmaster?

I personally like my stock trigger on mine . But I use it for steel and USPSA. I believe it's 3.5 lbs but on my edge it's a 3 lb. I think 2.5-3 lb is really good. As stated before if its new the trigger may smooth out on its own if you think it's not that good. Put 1000 rounds through it and then decide what you would like to do . The trubor barrel inherently is pretty accurate due to its design also . Probably more accurate than most can shoot I know it's more accurate than me.

Edited by Scootertheshooter

My open gun came with a 2.25lb trigger from the smith. After 10,000 rounds, it is nice and soft at around 1.5lbs. I can run it really fast at that level, but I would also say that it takes 10,000 rounds to get ready for a 1.5lb trigger.

Most Bianchi open guns have a shroud that attaches to the frame that has the wings attached to it. The shroud would be pretty difficult for USPSA shooting. There are lots of shooters that shoot Bianchi who just use their knuckles to rest on the barricade. If you learn to do that, you don't have to worry about two guns or specializing your gun to one sport or the other.

Doesn't it have a 1 peice Trubor bull/comp??? Correct , I should have been more clear so everyone understood. No bushing on the steelmaster due to the trubor bull/ comp. bushing barrels are not bull barrels. Sorry if I offended you Cecil .

no problem ... :roflol: