Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 1 Critique

MikeRush

I just finished editing the videos from Area 1. This was my first major match, I have been shooting USPSA since August of last year. There are a few things I have already identified that I need to improve, as well as some very basic problems. Had several failures to seat the mag, and 2 cases of trigger freeze(which had never happened to me in my life). I also had 11 misses. I felt/called most of them (except the weak hand standards string) but in the heat of the moment decided to let them some of them be instead of screwing up my breakdown/reloads.

The "major match" (and practiscore) got in my head- working with Lanny's book is helping me with my mental game considerably. Had a major meltdown on stage 7.

I am looking for help with efficiency in movement, gun handling, etc. I am moving away from SS to shoot Limited for the rest of the year, hoping that less reloads/counting will help me be able to focus on the areas that need improvement. Video is available in 1080 for those who prefer that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0DTehPILEs

I took 5th place in C Single Stack, so I surpassed my goal of not getting DQed at my first major, but there is a long road ahead of me. Watching some of the better shooter's videos from Area 1 has helped a ton, but I am looking for all the help I can get!

Going to slidelock cost to much time. Also, if you notice once you are in the port you are going back and forth on the targets. Get up early and meet us at Norco on Saturday. Your reloads look good.

On the bright side, you scamper around pretty well. But like TGO says. "It isn't who gets there first. It's who gets there first ready to shoot." Certainly there must have been opportunities to be shooting as you were coming into position, and times you could have been shooting while you were leaving? Your inexperience manifested itself in the form of blunders and brain farts. Welcome to the club. Keep working on the mental game. Let your vision guide your shooting, keep focused and call your shots, always remain aware of what you are doing while you preform the non-shooting tasks.

I looked at the results and I know a couple of the shooters that finished well above you in placement. On some stages they were not much faster through the course of fire, but they spanked you on points across the target faces. Perhaps in the heat of the moment you found yourself blasting at brown instead of making yourself shoot the A box?

Pretty generic answers for sure, but I hope I was of some help. Keep up the good work.

Going to slidelock cost to much time. Also, if you notice once you are in the port you are going back and forth on the targets. Get up early and meet us at Norco on Saturday. Your reloads look good.

Shooting Norco every Saturday is a good way to start improving..

Lots of good talent there..

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Going to slide lock definitely bit me at this match, along with a couple of standing reloads, neither of which were planned.

I will be shooting Norco more frequently, I will probably start shooting there on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays each month (except I think it is closed this Saturday).

One of the reasons I am switching to Limited is so I can focus on shooting sooner on entry and later on exit to minimize the time I spend not shooting. Reloads and counting seem to be my obstacle to doing that. Only having 8 in the mag has lead me to leaving shots I called bad unresolved for fear of an extra reload.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Going to slide lock definitely bit me at this match, along with a couple of standing reloads, neither of which were planned.

I will be shooting Norco more frequently, I will probably start shooting there on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays each month (except I think it is closed this Saturday).

One of the reasons I am switching to Limited is so I can focus on shooting sooner on entry and later on exit to minimize the time I spend not shooting. Reloads and counting seem to be my obstacle to doing that. Only having 8 in the mag has lead me to leaving shots I called bad unresolved for fear of an extra reload.

Any additional suggestions?

Norco is closed for the sports fair but there is a match at Prado on Sunday http://www.prg-ipsc.com/

Later,

Chuck

I am looking for help with efficiency in movement, gun handling, etc. I am moving away from SS to shoot Limited for the rest of the year, hoping that less reloads/counting will help me be able to focus on the areas that need improvement.

Been there, done that. I watched your video again and I can see where you are coming from. Just remember, when you shoot limited, the rest of the pack also enjoys the same advantages that you are speaking about (in comparison to SS). For that matter, you could shoot open and run 28 round magazines, in which case you would have plenty of ammo to make up shots, and you would also enjoy the advantages of the comp and the dot. Shooting open really lets you focus on the non-shooting elements. Of course, everyone else in open enjoys those advantages.

The one thing that remains constant across all divisions is the need to get points on the target faces as efficiently as possible. In looking at the results, unless I messed up the math, you shot 1430 points out of 1645 possible for 87% of the available points. You also had 120 points in penalties with 11 of those being misses. You shot 90% of the points or better on four of 13 stages. I also "get it" that you didn't make up some of the misses because of the cluster that would be sure to follow when your game plan went in the toilet. Still, somewhere along the line you need to develop the ability to shoot more points without makeup shots. Makeup shots are a pain in the neck and cost in terms of attention and efficiency even if they make little difference on the clock.

I am a firm believer that shooters in your position need to be working really hard on stage breakdown, shooting on the move, efficiency, and so forth as soon as possible. Other "informal coaches" insist that those elements need to come after the shooter is getting the points. Fact is, you can develop all of those skills simultaneously.

Speaking of efficiency, you can forget my over thought analysis and just re-read post number 7.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

More matches, more practices equates to improvement...besides you beat a lot of B's in single stack considering you started shooting since august of last year...

:cheers:

Thanks again everyone!

I'm definitely going to work on attending more matches, watching better shooters, etc. It is probably hard to give advice at this level because there are so many areas I need to improve.

I will definitely try to let my sights guide my pace more consistently. Area 1 was strange. At local matches my hits are pretty good. Being at the big match I fired splits at speeds that have never shown up in my shooting, and the hits (and misses) show it.

It is also hard for me to run fast, reload fast, and muster adequate visual patience. There is plenty for me to work on!

It's easy to get good hits at Oceanside and Pala because the targets are 2 feet away. I agree with Ron that you should focus on marksmanship and gobbling up as many points as you can get. Most of our other issues often come back to how well we can shoot.

• 3 weeks later...