Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt CRX

JJSJ

I've been trying to find a nice entry level rifle for 3-gun. I've been trying to find a Stag 3g, DPMS 3g1, Noveske N4, Larue PredatAR, etc etc. The only rifle I can find in stock is the Colt CRX. I know building is an option but I've always been a bolt shooter so I'd prefer to find something ready to go out of the box. Does anyone know anything about the CRX, all I know is that it isn't actually made by Colt. I'd also like to buy from a company that supports the sport and I've heard Colt doesn't do much. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

The CRX is built by Colt Competition and they do support the sport and are one of the main match sponsors of the Northwest Multigun Challenge in Bend, July 11-13. www.nwmultigun.com All of the guns I've seen from Colt Competition have been very well executed and the owners I have talked to were very happy with them.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I guess that shows you can't believe everything you hear. How does the CRX compare to the Stag 3G and DPMS 3G1? I've always been a fan of Colt handguns but never owned one of their rifles.

Jim

I've been trying to find a nice entry level rifle for 3-gun. I've been trying to find a Stag 3g, DPMS 3g1, Noveske N4, Larue PredatAR, etc etc.

These are not entry level guns. The CRP Pro is comparable to these. I don't know anything about the Colt 6 lb trigger, but these rifles are guarantee to be shooters, 1" or better. You can always replace the trigger, but it is hard to fix accuracy.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I tried researching the CRX, but there isn't much info out there. I am leaning towards this or the Stag, but would like to hear some reviews before purchasing. One thing that pops out at me with the CRX is the 6 lb trigger. That sounds really heavy.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I tried researching the CRX, but there isn't much info out there. I am leaning towards this or the Stag, but would like to hear some reviews before purchasing. One thing that pops out at me with the CRX is the 6 lb trigger. That sounds really heavy.

Personally, I would not put much stock into "poundage" numbers that may or may not compare apples to apples, or mean anything to your personal hits on targets. A good, clean, crisp trigger of even a heavier number can be a joy to shoot.

I also have a CRP Pro and love it. I haven't done anything to it except change the comp. It's more money but it's ready to compete out of the box with a good trigger and adjustable gas block. Just my two cents.

Jason

From what I've read, the CRP looks like a great rifle. The problem with it is the same as all the others.....not available. Jason, if you run into another one please let me know.

Jim

I bought the entry level, I think it is the CRX 16, adn I really like it.....when I was getting a scope zeroed, I fired 3 shots of Federal Gold Medal match and all three shots were touching.....right at a 1/4 inch!!!

the trigger is not bad, breaks clean.....it is right about 6 pounds.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the input on the CRX. I've found the CRX and CRE online so that may be what I go with. I considered building one but since my experience is with bolt guns, not AR's, I figured I should stick with a ready to go rifle. I did run across a Stag 3g upper today that had me thinking about a build though.

Jim

I found this rifle advertised locally "Seekins lower, Aero upper, Palmetto build kit, ALG QMS trigger, 16" Joe Bob barrel, BCM gunfighter charging handle, CMT AR 15 bolt, Troy 15" rail, Magpul MOE stock and grip, Magpul MBUS sights". Any thoughts on this rifle or input on the components would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

My .02. Spend a touch more, wait a little longer and get a JP15 from JP. Truly ready to go, no 6lb trigger or so so comp, low mass operating system, etc. etc. If you end up not digging 3gun you will have no problem selling it and you won't take a big hit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently came across a Marksman CRX-16 at a local gun shop.

I have made up my mind to buy it, just waiting for the coin to hit my bank.

I've read a lot of comments about the "6 lb" trigger but I can tell you that it feels better than any production AR I've ever shot.

There is almost no travel or creep, it breaks clean and feels relatively light.

I've owned a JP CR02 and it was awesome. It was also megabucks.

I currently own a Winham Weaponry AR with a 20" fluted stainless barrel.

The trigger is typical for a production rifle but the barrel is fabulous.

This thing is sub 1/2 MOA with my SMK handloads, even with a heavy factory trigger.

It is a good long range shooter but too long and a bit heavy for USPSA.

I don't shoot 3-gun and the local rifle matches are typically pistol stages with a few long shots at plates / poppers.

The Colt is my next rifle. It looks like a lot of gun for the money and has a great feel.

It is also hand built in Texas. I'm in.

Tls

Edited by 38superman