Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finger Groove or Smooth Grip?

FrancoShoots

Is it better to shoot with finger groove grip or with a smooth grip? Conventional wisdom may suggest that finger groove.

A fellow shooter suggested to have a grip as high as possible; I tried this technique and felt I had a more solid grip; however, the grooves of my Hogue grip were kind of on the way, and I thought that it would be better not to have grooves.

I plan to buy wood grips, either the smooth or the FG grip.

What is your experience?

Franco, welcome to the forum

I preffer the Hogue non-fingered, smooth (no checkering) . It allows for faster grip adjusments and less of a distraction (mentally) if your fingers dont line-up on the grooves properly when your speed shooting. I do have FG grips on other revos but those are for hunting (magnums) and help with slow, precision shooting. hope this helps!

Dan

Hi Dan,

From what I hear you say (web just below the hammer and the grip as high as possible) it sounds as if you or your friend have watched Jerry M's video ;)

I started out with the Hogue grooved rubber grip and quickly cut the finger grooves off. I found that fingergrooves in combination with the rubber would be very unforgiving in adjusting the grip during the draw.

It's kind of a personal thing I guess, but I like hard grips (wood or other) with a griptape texture. This combination is not tacky and forgiving, but if you put pressure on the grips, it's rock solid. Only downside for some people may be that in the beginning, it's very harsh on the skin (but just shoot it 4-5 times and you'll be OK)

Also the grip has to fit YOUR hand. When I first saw Saul Kirsch's "home made" grip, I thought "That's one weird looking thing", but it made sense immediately. His grip looks big and has a large contacting area with his hand. I made a grip like that and superglued skateboard tape on it. The one thing I noticed when shooting it for the first time was that I could have a very relaxed grip to achieve the same amount of recoil control.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Franco - In my experience, the best is smooth, no finger grooves, and NOT RUBBER. The only rubber grip I have is on my Colt Official Police, because I couldn't find something else quickly to replace the factory stocks.

Depending on which revolver you have, you can get a nylon Monogrip from Hogue. These can be shaped like wood. The wood grips from Hogue are usually special order, and take some time. As a matter of fact, almost any wood grips from anyone will be special order nowadays.

Miculek grips are made of wood by Hogue and are probably the best off-the-shelf competition grips currently available. My own preference is for Craig Spegel's "Boot Plus" grips, and I'm transitioning to them as I can afford to. They look like minimum dimension Skeeter Skelton grips.

IMHO it depends on what you are using the gun for.

For Bianchi Cup, I use Hogue grips with finger grooves, as the timing is generous enough to allow you to adjust your grip if you need to, but for speed shooting, I prefer a smooth wooden grip, with a slight indentation to allow me to locate my middle finger in a consistent position.

As far as gripping the gun, I prefer to have my hand as high as possible, without interfering with the hammer spur, this helsp me, as I have fairly short fingers.

Godd luck :)

I had a lot of problems with my 1911 and ergonomics. I ahve pretty long fingers, and jsut found that shooting strong hand only, I could get nice groups, but with stock grips, I was all over the place. The only thing that seemed to work was the hogue finger groove grip. However, I found that once my grip was past a certain point (about 40%) I was comitted to whatever grip I had gotten on the start of my draw and there was no turning back. Not bad when I first started, but as I have been progressing, really held me back.

After the stock oxide grit coated wood grips I tried really slim grips because the stock ones felt too much like a baseball bat without enough of a discernable front and back. Went to the hogues, then went to the egrogrip panels and an arched mainspring housing. With the aggressive checkering on my frontstrap that the hogues had been covering up, the 20lpi on the S&A arched mainspring ousing, and the ergo panels, I can get a nice high grip. Also, if I'm squeezing, it's not going anywhere, relax my grip slightly, and I can readjust almost as easily as a stock 1911 with stock wood panels. Very nice combination that I am very pleased with.

And it only cost me about $185 in trial an error ;)

Is it better to shoot with finger groove grip or with a smooth grip? Conventional wisdom may suggest that finger groove.

A fellow shooter suggested to have a grip as high as possible; I tried this technique and felt I had a more solid grip; however, the grooves of my Hogue grip were kind of on the way, and I thought that it would be better not to have grooves.

I plan to buy wood grips, either the smooth or the FG grip.

What is your experience?

As others have stated depends on the intended purpose. Assuming it's for action shooting I prefer a smooth hard grip (ie: wood) no finger grooves. Personally I use the Miculek grip and love it. Grips are a very personal thing and you should delay your purchase until you have tested many from your fellow shooters. Revolver shooters will gladly let you try theirs on for size so take advantage of it before jumpiing in to buy a set of grips.

As for hand postion you're on target. Get the grip as high as possible and depend on the support hand for about 75% of the control.

Welcome to the forum!

Anyone have any thoughts on Pachmyer rubber grips?

Rainman, those used to be my fav rubber grip. I like them much better than the Hogues. They're thinner side to side, but longer front to back. They feel more like an autoloader grip.

Pachmayr Grips: I like the variety of sizes. The Presentation Model is the classic configuration, and works well for some shooters and styles of shooting.

The original Gripper Model (with the closed backstrap) and the current Gripper Decelerator Model fit my hand very well, and are what I'm using. The Decelerator Model is slightly wider then the original Gripper, which may matter. As Spook said, they feel like an autoloader grip.

The Gripper Professional Model has an open backstrap, like the Hogue MonoGrips. It's finger grooves are shallower then the finger grooves in the Hogues, IMHO.

FWIW: I started with Pachmayr Presentations, switched to Grippers when they became available. I used the Hogue's (in nylon) for about 10 years, but have now gone over to the Gripper Decelerator Model for my Model 10 and 686 S&W's.

One of the nice things about revolvers is how easy it is to switch grips, and how many styles of grips there are. (JUST LOOK IN MY PARTS BOX...... :D )

Revchuck: grips that fit the Colt Python revolver (Model I) will fit the Model "E" and "I" frame revolvers.

The Colt Official Police, Officers Model Match, Trooper and Python all shared the same grip frame.

NOTE: If you have an Official Police MK III, (Model J ) that is a different frame, and it does use a very different grip (as well as a coil spring powered action, but that's another problem)

So, check your catalogs for grips that fit the Python and you can also use them on a Colt Official Police.

Thank you all for the advise. Of course I will need to read your postings several time to make sure I understand them completely. It is very nice for a new shooter like me to have such quality support. Thanks guys.

I have decided to order a Miculek wood smooth grip.. yes I could have waited.. well no, I could not wait..

I have just received the kydex holster that I ordered from Comp-tac (what a good company they are); I am borrowing some extra moon-clips and Blade-tec clip holders and will shoot my first IDPA revolver match this week-end.

I have a S&W 610 4" - my first revolver. I plan to shoot it with .40 cal rounds. Which reminds me: I'll be looking for posts on IDPA/IPSIC loads; if there aren't any, I will start one...

Thanks again to you all that replied to my post. I hope that this post helps others that have the same question.

Ciao a tutti (bye everyone)

Franco

wlktheduk wrote:

Revchuck: grips that fit the Colt Python revolver (Model I) will fit the Model "E" and "I" frame revolvers.

The Colt Official Police, Officers Model Match, Trooper and Python all shared the same grip frame.

wlktheduk - Thanks! I had already found that out (mine is '65 production). My choices are still pretty limited for what I want, since Spegel doesn't make grips for revolvers other than S&W. I'm just picky. :)

Thank you all for the advise. Of course I will need to read your postings several time to make sure I understand them completely. It is very nice for a new shooter like me to have such quality support. Thanks guys.

I have decided to order a Miculek wood smooth grip.. yes I could have waited.. well no, I could not wait..

I have just received the kydex holster that I ordered from Comp-tac (what a good company they are); I am borrowing some extra moon-clips and Blade-tec clip holders and will shoot my first IDPA revolver match this week-end.

I have a S&W 610 4" - my first revolver. I plan to shoot it with .40 cal rounds. Which reminds me: I'll be looking for posts on IDPA/IPSIC loads; if there aren't any, I will start one...

Thanks again to you all that replied to my post. I hope that this post helps others that have the same question.

Ciao a tutti (bye everyone)

Franco

Good choice of grips, LOL! But then again I'm a big Jerry M. fan. Have fun this weekend. Nice holster as well.

Couple quick things.

1. I'm guessing you reload already .40 cal is what to shoot for IDPA 10mm is way over kill (buy very fun).

2. Try to find round nose bullets (Berrys or others) as it maks reloading faster.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/14-0.php

3. Try the RIMZ moonclips. You don't have to spend any money for loading or unloading tools. The 610 RIMZ is one of the best models available due to it's stiffness. It will give you the "Feel of Steel". http://www.beckhamdesign.com/html/rimz_610_faq_s.html

4. IDPA load 4.0gr Titegroup 155gr HBRN (hollow base round nose) makes 135pf.

5. Dillon offers revolver accessories and they suppot alot of IDPA matches, ie moonclip holders.

Standard reloading disclaimer please consult reloading manuals what works in one gun may not in another. Play it safe and work up to the load that works best in your gun.

Welcome to SSR! Keep the reloads smooth and the cylinder in motion but most of all wear a smile and have fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my Miculek smooth grip from Brownells. Installed it in a few minutes. It feels great. It allows my fingers to squeeze the grip way up. Thanks to this forum for all your suggestions.

I may probably place some scateboard tape or something similar to the top of the grip. not sure yet.