Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport FTF

kneelingatlas

I shot a match with my TS last night and discovered something I though would be helpful to others here:

-First stage ran perfect

-Second stage had two FTF

This is the same BVAC ammo I've used in this gun since day one (180gn FMJ, 1.125" OAL, 185PF)

-After stage two I run to the safe area and drench the gun in oil: slide, guide rod, barrel

-Third stage seems to have a FTF every other shot!
-After stage three I run out to the car and use cleaning patches to wipe off the entire gun, in and out. No solvent, just wipe it as clean as I could get it (ran a brush down the bore dry). Reassemble, wipe it down again and return.
-Fourth stage took a little push to go into battery at LAMR, but ran flawless

-Fifth stage ran flawless

I though this gun ran better a little dirty so I don't usually clean it before a match, just lube, but it seems the lube just made it worse. I use Slide Guide, but after the FTF I drenched it in Hoppe's oil, obviously that was a poor choice. I found when I wiped it clean, there was still SG soaked into the metal; at this point I feel that's the best state for this gun: clean, dry, with SG residue on it.

What do you guys do?

Hey John, I run my guns clean and fairly wet with SG and no problems. My TS I had ran without a problem, I clean my guns after each outing. Being former Army Iam o c d about cleaning my guns.

Funny to run across this topic...Just today I was chrono'ing different loads. 13 different loads from 159 PF to 181 PF. I had 2 ftf with the 181PF ammo. I put it in a different magazine and had another ftf. I don't know the reason, but my TS doesnt like 181 power factor. I'm assume it has to do with the recoil spring. You say your running 185 PF?

-First stage ran perfect

Relatively clean(er)

Dirtier

-After stage two I run to the safe area and drench the gun in oil: slide, guide rod, barrel

Dirtier AND gummy

-After stage three I run out to the car and use cleaning patches to wipe off the entire gun, in and out. No solvent, just wipe it as clean as I could get it (ran a brush down the bore dry). Reassemble, wipe it down again and return.

Clean - bet you wiped down the ramp and cleaned the chamber

Got me on that one

Still relatively clean

Still sounds like buildup on ramp to me, if everything ran before/after you cleaned it, how could that be ammo related?

What was the extent of the FTF? In chamber/not into battery, or not even in the chamber?

Atlas,

Just a thought: Hot loads often produce a slight "pimple" of the primer. This flows into the firing pin opening and when ejected it shears off the "pimple" off of the primer. This accumulates and eventually fouls the firing pin...FTF. If the accumulation loosens itself, the problem disappears by itself...or not. This is one of the best reason for extended firing pins...to block the opening. Just a thought.

A-G

I shot a match with my TS last night and discovered something I though would be helpful to others here:

-First stage ran perfect

This is the same BVAC ammo I've used in this gun since day one (180gn FMJ, 1.125" OAL, 185PF)

I though this gun ran better a little dirty so I don't usually clean it before a match, just lube, but it seems the lube just made it worse. I use Slide Guide, but after the FTF I drenched it in Hoppe's oil, obviously that was a poor choice. I found when I wiped it clean, there was still SG soaked into the metal; at this point I feel that's the best state for this gun: clean, dry, with SG residue on it.

What do you guys do?

Check your gun's extractor first. Mag springs - second.

Then, clean and oil the gun before any match. Don't use any grease on it.

I use Frog Lube, but I never had any problem with Slide Glide when I used it either. Is the round nose diving on the feed ramp? If it is, you may have an issue with the recoil buffer or the mag springs. I don't run mine with the buffer. It was causing the slide to short stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

kneelingatlas

When you say FTF do you mean the slide has almost locked the round in the chamber- I mean to say thet the round is 10-14mm not in the chamber , or do you mean to say that the round is stuck in the RAMP of the barrel?

In the first case I had some problem in recoil sping- so I used heavy 18LB, in the second case it was a mag

It was the last of my BVAC ammo; I just started reloading and have yet to find a load which is just right for the TS. I think the gun was just too dirty; I cleaned it well and it seems to be fine now but to be honest, I have too little match opportunity and too many guns to worry about it. I'm going to try out my new Witness Hunter next match. I know, I know... I'm spoiled :roflol: