Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Speer brass?

gearguywb

I have been using once fired Speer 40 brass for my major match loads for several years with no problems. I like the way the primer sets in deep. I use a 2011 with a 17lb mainspring.

I've loaded them up many many times with out any issues, some pieces of brass have been loaded 8 to 9 times and are going strong.

+1 on multiple reloads. Each manufacturers brass has its own issues of some sort, learn what they are and whether or not you can deal with said issues. That said, good housekeeping and recordkeeping are major factors in your (and others) safety. I personally will reload just about any I pick up. However, my process (read "MAJOR OCD") allows multiple checks. And yes, my ammo is pretty inside out. Even those pesky primer pockets. :goof:

I suppose there may be other reasons, but every time I've heard of problems with primers pulling back into the primer pocket, it was due to the decapping pin. It these, the decapping pin has a relatively square tip. Breaking the square tip using emery paper or such has usually been the fix.

With the square(ish) tip, the primer anvil grabs onto the decapping pin and holds there, and is pulled back into the primer pocket. Making the decapping pin tip rounder prevents the anvil from grabbing the pin.

Guy

I suppose there may be other reasons, but every time I've heard of problems with primers pulling back into the primer pocket, it was due to the decapping pin. It these, the decapping pin has a relatively square tip. Breaking the square tip using emery paper or such has usually been the fix.

With the square(ish) tip, the primer anvil grabs onto the decapping pin and holds there, and is pulled back into the primer pocket. Making the decapping pin tip rounder prevents the anvil from grabbing the pin.

Guy

Makes sense.

Thanks for all of the input everyone!!